Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 wheels on an LR4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Should be a sticky or in the tech thread section... Q: How can we carve out this info into a new/better home when an otherwise unsuspecting thread get hijacked? Thanks guys, Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

What Don does in a "few minutes"..... And this is only chapter two? I think he needs his own club page

Don is pretty darn amazing at putting out the information!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Rich, I just noticed you were thinking of 285/65-18s - I would strongly caution against this size. I don't know anybody who's done that and would expect significant problems fitting it, particularly with spacers. some people have run 285/60-18s, but again I would suggest going with the 265-65 or 275-65 (w/o spacers).

As I mentioned earlier, you really are looking for height and sidewall more than width. With the narrower tire you'll have less rubbing problems at a given diameter. For my next tire I am thinking of trying a 265/70-18 which would be about .5" narrower but .6" taller than what I have now (275/65, which is 32" tall). I do think this would be a problem if I have a suspension failure that puts me on the bump stops though as I just rub a bit in that failure mode now. Adding the extra diameter may be enough to make it undriveable on the bump stops.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Rich, I just noticed you were thinking of 285/65-18s - I would strongly caution against this size. I don't know anybody who's done that and would expect significant problems fitting it, particularly with spacers. some people have run 285/60-18s, but again I would suggest going with the 265-65 or 275-65 (w/o spacers).

As I mentioned earlier, you really are looking for height and sidewall more than width. With the narrower tire you'll have less rubbing problems at a given diameter. For my next tire I am thinking of trying a 265/70-18 which would be about .5" narrower but .6" taller than what I have now (275/65, which is 32" tall). I do think this would be a problem if I have a suspension failure that puts me on the bump stops though as I just rub a bit in that failure mode now. Adding the extra diameter may be enough to make it undriveable on the bump stops.

I know a guy who did 285/85R18 and had significant problems and ended up not going that route. I think he did all the lift and trimming he could and still had issues. I can try to find his e-mail, but I know it was that size. He used 18" LR3 wheels with spacers.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Great info Don! Thank you very much. As I mentioned earlier, I have decided to go with the 275/65/18's but not sure if I want to save myself the headache of trying to make the LR3 wheels work. Quick question, do you know if the Compos come in any other offset other than the ET44 mentioned on their website? I'll try to contact them this week and see what options they have. I only ask because one of the reasons I was considering the LR3 wheel instead of the Compos was because I like the look the spacers would provide by pushing the wheel out to be more flush with the fenders. I might experiment with the Compos and .5" spacers to see what I can come up with...if I go the Compo route that is. I'll definitely post once I digest all the information you guys and gals have provided and make a decision. Thanks for the details Don et al. Awesome info!

Cheers,
Rich

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Not sure what backspacing they offer, but going with the Compos in ET44 and a .5" spacer would be a good way to experiment. If the extra spacer causes issues you can simply remove it.

I agree it looks better with the wider track, but the larger swing radius of the wheel + spacer makes it harder to fit the 275s

Don

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
We should all do this to our LR's: ::nuts::

https://www.flickr.c...57614108553753/

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I would buy that truck in a second! It's really too bad Land Rover doesn't have a disco that comes like that from the factory!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
They HAD a Disco like that from the factory:) 2004 D2, G4 Edition. There were only 250 or 500 made for the US. The color is Tangiers Orange, paint code LRC761.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Well, I think those are probably about 35s or 37s by scale - Too bad you'll NEVER see that much tire on an LR3/4! We can only hope the next gen Defender will accommodate those with 'the need'.

Don

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
I know it's off topic for this thread but I thought this was a cool video demonstrating the advantages between LSD, Locking Diff with a traction control system and ARB Lockers. I thought I would share...enjoy:

I'm going to install a locking rear diff, does anyone know of a shop that will do the work? Thanks!

Rich

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
The choices for locker diffs are limited (ha!)

I don't know anybody who's done one in the LR3/4, but any good shop should be able to handle it. Cerronies for example might be an option.

Supposedly ARB makes an air locker for the LR4, but I don't know anybody who's actually seen one 'in the wild'. And the ARB-USA people aren't super helpful. David stopped into the ARB booth at the recent 4Wheel expo in San Mateo and they pretty much said 'Land Rover? Do we make stuff for them?'

Graeme is working with a company in the UK who might be making a locker, but at this point I don't think anything has gone to production.

Of course there's the factory rear locker from the HD models but it's fairly rare so it's unlikely you would find one used, and I'm sure it's brutally expensive from a dealer. You would also probably have to have a dealer update the on-board computers if you went this route as it's an electronic locker controlled by the traction control systems.

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

That's a scale model, right? Some of the photos almost had me believing it was real...

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
Yes. You should see Shayne Young's CT110 RC car. He brought it to Death Valley in 2013. It's a complete recreation of his CT110, including the decals and RTT. It has a working winch which was used to cut tortillas in half. Very cool and very $$$.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I started to suggest we should all do the scale stuff so we could at least save money, but I know some people get _really_ into it to the point where I'm not sure how much savings there would be!

Don

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
Yeah, his rc car was about $5,000.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yeah, his rc car was about $5,000.

<cringe!> At least they don't take up as much space in the garage!

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
But they clean out your account. I'll stick to my full size cars for now. That's enough hobby for me.

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Phase I - Addition of Johnson Rods, 18" wheels and 275/65/18 tires complete.

Phase II and possibly Phase III - Baja Rack, rear mounted Spare Tire Carrier, Ladder, ARB Rear Locker, ARB Front Bumper, XD9000 Winch, any suggestions?  :)

Rich

Attached Files

| Black 2012 LR4 HSE | Johnson Rods | IIDTool | 18x8.5 ET +33 Wheels | Toyo Open Country M/T 275/65/18 Tires | Baja Rack |

-Rich

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Nice.  What are the specs on the wheels?   Any issues with brake clearance?  It looks like you have about the same backspacing as the Compos and less than the LR3 wheels w/spacers, which no doubt helps with clearance for the 275s.  BTW, what sort of trimming did you have to do for clearance?  It seems to be different with every truck.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users