Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 wheels on an LR4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

BTW, what sort of trimming did you have to do for clearance? It seems to be different with every truck.

I would like to know this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Wow, looks great Rich!!

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

The wheels are Black Rhino Mozambique's 18X8.5 ET33 and the tires are Toyo Open Country MT's 275/65/18. No grinding of calipers was needed and no spacers were needed either. So, with that being said...Compomotive wheels or LR3 wheels with spacers are not your only options.  :)  Suprisingly, I didn't have to do much work.  I trimmed off the metal square in the front wheel wells and moved the AC lines about 2".  I then tested and molded and tested and molded and tested and molded the plastic liners until I didn't get any more rubbing in full lock.  I haven't had the opportunity to take off-road yet and test with articulation of the suspension.  I'm hoping not much more will be needed. 

However, I have to thank everyone who recommended against mounting 285's on the rig.  I orignally wanted to mount some 285/65/18's and with the help of others in this forum I made the decison to stick with the 275's.  Bigger tires can be mounted and I might venture that route at a later date, but after doing the work I now see why the extra 10mm would have created more work.  Thanks guys! :)

Rich

Edited by (V)aniac, 29 March 2015 - 06:22 PM.

• RedRover likes this
| Black 2012 LR4 HSE | Johnson Rods | IIDTool | 18x8.5 ET +33 Wheels | Toyo Open Country M/T 275/65/18 Tires | Baja Rack |

-Rich

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

One quick question Don et al...I bought a 5th tire and wheel and need a rear mount to mount it.  Is that a Kaymar on your rig?  Any other suggestions for rear tire mount? 

Also...after I installed the Johnson Rods, I noticed that one side of the suspension lifts higher than the other. Both the right side,front and rear, shocks lift almost an inch higher than the left when inflated to full extension and about a 1/2" when in normal ride height.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  What did you do to fix? 

Thanks!

Rich

Edited by (V)aniac, 25 March 2015 - 08:34 PM.

| Black 2012 LR4 HSE | Johnson Rods | IIDTool | 18x8.5 ET +33 Wheels | Toyo Open Country M/T 275/65/18 Tires | Baja Rack |

-Rich

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

One quick question Don et al...I bought a 5th tire and wheel and need a rear mount to mount it.  Is that a Kaymar on your rig?  Any other suggestions for rear tire mount?  Thanks!

Rich

DavidW has a kaymar bumper installed with custom swing away. Nick and I just ordered ours a few weeks ago on a joint buy direct from Australia. Not sure when they will ship though.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

Michal C

Michal C

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • KK6 VIL
  • Discovery 4

DavidW has a kaymar bumper installed with custom swing away. Nick and I just ordered ours a few weeks ago on a joint buy direct from Australia. Not sure when they will ship though.

I have a Kaymar bumper as well with dual tire swing :)

• erinw.rrc likes this

HAM KK6VIL / 2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper (double swing), Long Range Automotive aux fuel tank, Green Oval lift and air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....

Michal C

Michal C

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • KK6 VIL
  • Discovery 4

Great that you guys are buying the bumpers. They are awesome!!!! Pedram can help with instal!!!

• erinw.rrc likes this

HAM KK6VIL / 2011 LR4 HSE - BFGs 265/65R18, LR3 wheels with 30mm spacers, terrafirma hidden winch mount with superwinch 9.5 SR, IIDTool, baja roof rack with ladder, TR rock sliders, TR gas tank and transfer case skid plates, rigid industries D2 driving lamps, OEM front A bar, Kaymar rear bumper (double swing), Long Range Automotive aux fuel tank, Green Oval lift and air suspension override etc. etc. etc.....

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

yes, there are several Kaymars in the group and a few more on order.

Mine is a custom that Pedram built as I wanted something a little different.

As for the truck sitting lop-sided, I would use the GAP tool to adjust each corner as needed to get to level.  If you don't have a gap tool, you won't be able to do a lot about it that I can think of.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

One quick question Don et al...I bought a 5th tire and wheel and need a rear mount to mount it.  Is that a Kaymar on your rig?  Any other suggestions for rear tire mount? 

Also...after I installed the Johnson Rods, I noticed that one side of the suspension lifts higher than the other. Both the right side,front and rear, shocks lift almost an inch higher than the left when inflated to full extension and about a 1/2" when in normal ride height.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  What did you do to fix? 

Thanks!

Rich

Rich,

I believe that is deliberate and is to compensate for typical road camber ... but it is a waste of time as far as I can see.  I expect the Testbook (or whatever they call the LR tool these days) can recalibrate it though.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Rich,

I believe that is deliberate and is to compensate for typical road camber ... but it is a waste of time as far as I can see.  I expect the Testbook (or whatever they call the LR tool these days) can recalibrate it though.

Regards,

Graeme

The specs I have for 'OEM' height are the same on both sides, but they came from GAP with their manual so it's not straight from the horse's mouth.  I know it's a little finicky to get each corner to measure out exactly the same and I always end up with different settings on each sensor when doing the adjustment.  1" seems a bit much, but .5" is pretty common.  If I can get within .25" I'm doing well.

And I'm sure the testbook could do the adjustment as well.  The dealers can set them easily enough, but they won't do it with the rods installed - you'd have to put your stock rods back on and let them do the adjustment. 

Does the truck stay equal on each side with the stock rods?  If not, then you just need to recalibrate a sensor as we've been discussing.  If it's even with stock but off with the Johnson Rods that makes me think there's an issue with one of your new rods.  Try swapping them side to side and see if the problem follows.  A very small length difference in the rod would be amplified once actually installed on the truck.

Edited by DHappel, 26 March 2015 - 06:31 AM.

Don

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

This is probably moot at his point but is it too late to get in on the Kaymar rear tire mount order?

-Rich

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

(V)aniac

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • San Rafael, CA
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I went berzerk this week and ordered a bunch of new stuff...I can't wait until it arrives. I order a Baja Rack, an IIDTool and a TR Rear Bumper with integrated tire carrier. However, I am still looking for a viable source to install an ARB locker for the rear diff. Anyone know of a reputable shop that will do the work and who stocks ARB Lockers for an LR4? I may have already asked this question and someone may have already answered...I apologize if there is any redundancy. Thanks!

-RT

-Rich

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Gotta confess I haven't looked for one.  That may take some research.  Maybe a call to ARB themselves?

If you can get the unit, regardless of the source, then I'd think any good Rover shop should be able to handle the install.

Don

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Updates? Did you get the lockers?

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users