Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Take Me to School - HAM Radio

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Chavez Taquerria....mmmmm

I have no idea what that is , but I will buy if you guys install my HAM radio antenna :)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

hahahahahahahaha!

There is nothing funny about mashed potatoes and gravy young lady :)
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

It's probably obvious, but one needs an adapter when going with the SRH-320A as it is a BNC-connector antenna. I actually prefer it this way, as it makes for easy work to switch out antennas (BNC is faster insert/connect than a threaded SMA connector.)

Below is the adapter to get for SMA to BNC.

http://www.hamradio....m?pid=H0-009346

-Jared

I only ordered the antenna you recommended, did I need to order this too???

I am so clueless about this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

It's probably obvious, but one needs an adapter when going with the SRH-320A as it is a BNC-connector antenna. I actually prefer it this way, as it makes for easy work to switch out antennas (BNC is faster insert/connect than a threaded SMA connector.)

I agree... really, really simple to disconnect and re-connect.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Uh oh, I hope I ordered the right HAM stuff.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I only ordered the antenna you recommended, did I need to order this too???

I am so clueless about this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

Negative, this is the handheld antenna we're talking about (the small one when you're not in your vehicle), not the one mounted to your car. You can pick this up as well, but your radio comes with an HT antenna, so it's not necessary.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I was laughing at the comment in general that you have an infatuation with potato products.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I was laughing at the comment in general that you have an infatuation with potato products.

Who me???????? :-) <GRIN>
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

My mother was once given a 50 lbs. bag of Idaho Russets for a Christmas gift.

I'm there with you David. My new favorite potato dish is the garlic and cheddar cheese fries at Super Duper burger. The 6 month old aged cheese is what makes it really stand out. Mmmmmmmmm...

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

My mother was once given a 50 lbs. bag of Idaho Russets for a Christmas gift.

I'm there with you David. My new favorite potato dish is the garlic and cheddar cheese fries at Super Duper burger. The 6 month old aged cheese is what makes it really stand out. Mmmmmmmmm...

6 month old aged cheese and potatoes? Well hello.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I agree. I had mashed potatoes and gravy last night. Tastey and Good!

Almost as good as biscuits and gravy.

mmmmm...........

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Almost as good as biscuits and gravy.

I miss biscuits and gravy. Why won't anyone make a gravy without the sausage bits? I think I might do that at the 2015 Annual... Vegetarian biscuits and gravy. And you'll like it!

Why are we talking about breakfast foods again?

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Just use a strainer. No more sausage bits!

I think that would be a nice addition to Sunday's breakfast.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I think that would be a nice addition to Sunday's breakfast.

I was thinking the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Vegetarian biscuits and gravy

Are you sure that's a thing?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Are you sure that's a thing?

Yes. Where there's a will... There's a way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
So question. Ive never had a vehicle-mounted antenna before. I just orderes the kaymar bumper. Is it better to mount the amtenna on the rear bumper and go with a tall whip or the baja rack? If i mount it to the baja i will be more concerned about cable routing. If the kaymar i just have to get the wire under the truck and out to the rear bumper.

I dont forsee a vehicle mounted radio. Ill probably just connect it to my HT. Thoughts?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

So question. Ive never had a vehicle-mounted antenna before. I just orderes the kaymar bumper. Is it better to mount the amtenna on the rear bumper and go with a tall whip or the baja rack? If i mount it to the baja i will be more concerned about cable routing. If the kaymar i just have to get the wire under the truck and out to the rear bumper.

I dont forsee a vehicle mounted radio. Ill probably just connect it to my HT. Thoughts?

I'll give my thoughts, but I think you already know the answer. ::amuse::

Antenna clearance is a relatively key factor when it comes to the types of 2 meter (146.460MHz) communication we're doing on trail most often. When terrain is hilly/mountainous, it's not an uncommon occurrence for half of a convoy to be calling on one side of a mountain and the other half being unable to receive transmissions from the first, even though they are only hundreds of yards apart. This is by far the greatest obstacle we deal with for trail comms. Having said that, those same hills can be somewhat useful as reflectors of your signal... if you have the power to do it. With an HT (typical power ~5-10W), you will want all the advantage you can get... for that, mount it up above the roofline. With a rat-tail file and a grommet, you can move back the weather seal material at the rear tailgate and grind down an opening to weave a cable through. You use the grommet to protect the cable at that transition point... then it's just working the cable back behind panels, under mats until it is relatively hidden but still fairly accessible.

From an aesthetics perspective, I think the antenna looks best mounted on the upper tailgate or rear bumper of the LR4... this is obviously not an optimal location (low height, huge obstruction near the antenna)

I'll be going over some of this in greater detail at the April MORG during the Trail Communications & Orienteering technical series that NCLR puts on.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Jares i kinda figured. I had a couple thoughts/questions.. so if the antenna is bumper mounted but the highest point is say 6' above the roof is it any better/worse than a 6' antenna mounted to the roof at the back of the rig (same overall height above truck).

Second i was thinking of building a mastlike the one kaymar makes for my bumper when it arrives. I could then use it to raise the starting point of the antenna to a place closer to the top of the vehicle..

I just dont know if the starting point matters or just the overall max height above vehicle.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
I got my radio and supplies today! Yay! I will know tomorrow if I am able to goto South Cow Mountain... If not, maybe we can plan the antenna install at Tom's place? Sorry for being up in the air, but I won't know if my UT family is coming for the weekend until tomorrow.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users