Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ham Cram, 3-21, Sac area

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Thanks to a note form Rob I have learned that the next Ham Cram for the Sacramento area (actually Orangevale, so NW of Sac a bit, toward Folsom) will be March 21st.

Michele and I have talked about doing this as a way to put it on the calendar and just be done with it - we know we need to get our license but have been slacking off about actually doing it. Nothing like a deadline to make something happen.

Unfortunately Michele won't be in town that weekend, but I will so I'm thinking I'll go ahead and sign up. I know a few others have talked about it, so here's your chance.

Their next session will be in May.

The info:

AMATEUR RADIO LICENSE APPLICANT
INFORMATION SHEET

If you are interested in becoming an amateur radio operator, this information is for you. Our team is putting on a HAM-CRAM session
on March 21, 2015.

The session will be at the LDS Church located at 7950 Hazel Ave, Orangevale, CA (corner of Hazel and Cherry Ave).

The session starts at 8:45 AM when we hand out the study material. Then applicants will study till 1:00 PM when the written examinations are given.

The cost is $20.00 to be paid when you check in on arrival. The breakdown of expense is: $5.00 for the use of study material, and $15.00 for the Federal Communications Committee (FCC) exam fee.

If you have problems and you don’t pass the exam, you can take the exam a second time if time permits. Each time you take the exam an additional $15.00 will be charged to cover FCC fees.

For you to Register, we need some information listed below in Red. The information is to be sent to Joe Cardoza at: cardozas@comcast.net

You need a Federal Registration Number (FRN) or a Social Security number to apply for an Amateur Radio License. (We prefer using the FRN number and not your Social Security number).

• To obtain an FRN number: Go on the Web to the FCC Registration System at: (https://fjallfoss.fc...b/publicHome.do) and click on Register and follow the instructions

Name: (the same as you used to apply for the FRN).
Full Mailing Address: (where you receive mail)
Phone number:
Email address:
Federal Registration Number (FRN):

After we receive the above information, we will confirm your registration via email.

Joe Cardoza Jr,
KA6ROM
CVE-29885

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
For those wanting to study before hand, Dan Romanchik (KB6NU) has made some good study guides and has them available on his site. The technician and general class guides are free. He also offers an extra study guide for $7.99 . I used his study guide as well as the e-ham practice tests to get ready when I took the test for my tech license a couple of years ago. Studied about a month and walked in and took the test and only missed one.

Also, if you do really well and pick up the technician info and are getting 100% on the practice tests you may want to study for the general license. You can take it at the same time after you pass the technician test and you can do it for no additional cost. I gave it a shot even though I hadnt studied and was only off by around 4 questions IIRC. Food for thought.

Link to Dan's site : http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

Down here in Socal someone gives the test every weekend (usually at multiple sites) which makes it easy to go get your license. Even if you are only getting your ticket for truck to truck coms while offroading it's well worth it.

-Jake
KK6HMF

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Plenty of people have said it's easy enough to just pick up one of the apps or an on-line study guide then find a local place giving the test and just take it. The problem for me has been motivation, so having a fixed date set will help (I hope).

Frankly I have little interest in actually 'using' a radio, I just want a glorified walkie-talkie to talk to other trucks in the group, or occasionally try to raise somebody who's outside our immediate area. So I'll pass on the more advanced licensing. The last thing I need is another hobby.

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'm with you there Don. The only reason I have my ticket is for trail comms. I used to monitor a lot of the local repeaters right after I got my license, but that wore out pretty quick.

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Don. That's right down the street from me. I'm in. Like you I have been procrastinating. I even have my hand held and everything. I have convinced the wife that ham is a way we can communicate if needs be when out on the trail and not in cell range. Most of the places I go have repeaters fairly close. With a mobile in the rover and a base station at the house she could get a heaping helping of warm and fuzzy when we are out and about and she's not. It all makes sense to me.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

With a mobile in the rover and a base station at the house she could get a heaping helping of warm and fuzzy when we are out and about and she's not. It all makes sense to me.

Can you use a similar logic to justify a new 4.6 motor? It would be far safer to have the extra power and being newer it wouldn't leave you stranded where bears could attack you ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Can you use a similar logic to justify a new 4.6 motor? It would be far safer to have the extra power and being newer it wouldn't leave you stranded where bears could attack you ....

Graeme

Logic. It's a powerful thing when applied properly!

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Well seeing as it's almost Valentine's Day I will give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe she loves me enough. Do you have a line on a good 4.6 that is less expensive than my whole rug is worth? Looks like a refurbished short block is more than what I could get for the whole kit and caboodle.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Talk to Justin at British Recyclers.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
That 5 minutes from my house, but we will be out of town that weekend. Damn...

HAM is the way to go. Anyone even thinking about it, should do it. I bought my puxing 777 for about $60, larger antenna on the roof rack for around $40 and a few extra battery for $10 and you are set for awhile. No comparison to CB.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Registered.

robg

robg

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

we know we need to get our license but have been slacking off about actually doing it.

Very pleased to hear you are going and you have my support. I do not suggest other study aids as the whole point of the CRAM in the HAM-CRAM is to spend a few hours studying the aswers to the current question pool. Taking the test in the same day generates a high passing rate. This does not however, teach how to use a radio, just gets you the tech license.

Just to remind all NCLR club members, you should not get on air without a license.
LUCAS - Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Yep im excited. Ive been listening only for months on the radio

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Sounds like a good bunch of members are getting the licenses. This is good news!

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover
Damn, I really wanted to go than I realized its the same day as the Stadium Series game for the sharks -_________________________________-

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Registered. Is there any plan to go play in the dirt after the test?

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The HAM has been Crammed.

Nick, Jason, Chad, and I were all there today.  I believe we have a 100% passing rate, so it's all good.

There was one guy who took the test who must have failed previously.  He came out dancing and shouting "I passed! I passed!  Woo Hoo! I passed!"   I was glad I passed and all, but I didn't see where it merited that level of rejoicing.  Maybe he's just an excitable sort of guy. 

Anyway, it's done.  Now I can start pestering Jared about radios and antennas.  I promised myself I wouldn't even look at mobile radios until I had my license.  So now the wallet is officially in the danger zone.

• TomOwen, RedRover and erinw.rrc like this

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

The HAM has been Crammed.

Nick, Jason, Chad, and I were all there today.  I believe we have a 100% passing rate, so it's all good.

Good job guys!!

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Yep. We came, we crammed, we are now hams...lol.

Question.. can i put an amp in my vehicle connected to my ht and a roof mounted antenna? Or does one hhave to buy a vehicle rig?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Congrats to everyone on passing your test and getting your ticket. Depending on who does the filing of the paperwork with the FCC you can sometimes look up your call sign on the ULS as early as Wednesday. (mine was up the Thursday after I took my test on a Saturday) Once you know your call you are golden and able to transmit on all bands available to your license class..

Nick - Once you look at the prices for an external amp to boost the output of your HT you will quickly realize that you are probably better served just getting a good mobile rig. Been there, done that.. :)

• TomOwen likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users