Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ham Cram, 3-21, Sac area

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

There was one guy who took the test who must have failed previously. He came out dancing and shouting "I passed! I passed! Woo Hoo! I passed!" I was glad I passed and all, but I didn't see where it merited that level of rejoicing. Maybe he's just an excitable sort of guy.

That guy was pretty hilarious. I've seen people less excited about buying their first house or having their firstborn. LOL

I was worried he was going to break a hip or something.....

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Yeah he was super upon metal detecting too. Lol

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Yep. We came, we crammed, we are now hams...lol.

Question.. can i put an amp in my vehicle connected to my ht and a roof mounted antenna? Or does one hhave to buy a vehicle rig?

You can absolutely run an external amp inline with your HT to your antenna.  Things to consider are the output power of your HT and what the amp needs as it's input.  Also make sure the antenna used can handle the load.

Also, if your HT overheats easily at full power, look for an amp that can be run off the lower power ratings of your HT (if it has settings to change transmit power.)

There are all sorts of external brick amps that will get you anywhere from 35W up 150W... maybe even more but haven't researched them much.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Congrats to everyone on passing your test and getting your ticket. Depending on who does the filing of the paperwork with the FCC you can sometimes look up your call sign on the ULS as early as Wednesday. (mine was up the Thursday after I took my test on a Saturday) Once you know your call you are golden and able to transmit on all bands available to your license class..

Nick - Once you look at the prices for an external amp to boost the output of your HT you will quickly realize that you are probably better served just getting a good mobile rig. Been there, done that.. :)

OK, what is the website for checking status of a license?  I found a 'uls' search on the FCC site, but came up dry on both license and application searches.  Just for kicks I tried searching for 'Jared Williams' and still came up blank, so I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

For that matter, what is the standard process for notification of your license?  Snail Mail?  I probably have all this info in the flyers the Cram guys handed out but I'm not home to check on them.

Edited by DHappel, 25 March 2015 - 03:31 PM.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

It's a miserable, picky site. Ours haven't been posted yet. 

URL: http://wireless2.fcc...archLicense.jsp

Choose "By Name" in the drop down, and enter LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME. Even the comma has to be used. Or, if you know your FRN you can search by that. 

EDIT ----- WTF? I just tried searching for Jared's and found it, and noticed when you click on it it posts your full name and address. Any way to get the address redacted? Not happy about that at all...

Edited by E36 Phantom, 25 March 2015 - 03:49 PM.

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

OK, what is the website for checking status of a license?  I found a 'uls' search on the FCC site, but came up dry on both license and application searches.  Just for kicks I tried searching for 'Jared Williams' and still came up blank, so I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

For that matter, what is the standard process for notification of your license?  Snail Mail?  I probably have all this info in the flyers the Cram guys handed out but I'm not home to check on them.

I go here:  http://wireless2.fcc...archAmateur.jsp

and use the Licensee section where I enter the last name in (if it is uncommon like Happel, which there were only like, 10 entries.)

Yes, everything else is handled through the postal service.  You'll receive a paper license card to keep with you -- best to have it laminated since it is just paper, after all.

Also, you will start getting inundated with junk mail from ARRL for a short bit.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

It's a miserable, picky site. Ours haven't been posted yet. 

URL: http://wireless2.fcc...archLicense.jsp

Choose "By Name" in the drop down, and enter LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME. Even the comma has to be used. Or, if you know your FRN you can search by that. 

Well that was good timing

-J

Jared (KJ6MQI)

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

You can also check on QRZ, they have a copy of the FCC log that is updated daily http://forums.qrz.co...7-Daily-FCC-Log

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

EDIT ----- WTF? I just tried searching for Jared's and found it, and noticed when you click on it it posts your full name and address. Any way to get the address redacted? Not happy about that at all...

Chad, you might find this helpful: http://forums.radior...ses-online.html

Apparenty there used to be a law that required the physical address of the station, but it sounds like that is no longer the case and some people use a PO Box, however, you have to keep that PO Box as long as your license is valid.  Perhaps something to dive into further. 

Edited by erinw.rrc, 25 March 2015 - 04:36 PM.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Chad, you might find this helpful: http://forums.radior...ses-online.html

Apparenty there used to be a law that required the physical address of the station, but it sounds like that is no longer the case and some people use a PO Box, however, you have to keep that PO Box as long as your license is valid. Perhaps something to dive into further.

Good info, thanks Erin!

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

That guy talked to me for some time about the benefits of metal detecting and how a rover would allow one to access areas that would be good for hunting gold nuggets. 

Also, mine still isn't posted so no tx for me this weekend. 

On a related note.  one of the examiners was wearing a shirt with the following.  It just shows that you can be as big a radio nerd as we are rover nerds

tx till it Hz

• TomOwen, RedRover and erinw.rrc like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I saw that shirt.  I'm a little embarrassed to say I liked it.

• RedRover likes this

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Lol.. i have some pretty geeky shirts too

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

WB5UZJ - Bam!  That just happened!

Actually, I don't like that call sign at all .... a 'UZJ' is a 100 series Land Cruiser!  Makes me wonder if some 'yota guy just got a call sign ending in LR3.

<edit>

Wait - correction, that's some other Don Happel in Texas.  And I most certainly am NOT a Texan!  Looks like I have yet to be posted.  Hope they get it up done before the MORG!

Edited by DHappel, 30 March 2015 - 08:23 PM.

• DHappel likes this

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Your first call sign should begin with a K anyhow since your station is west of the Mississippi fwiw. That should have been your first tip off..

• TomOwen likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

In retrospect yes...the W was out of place. 

(insert W joke here)

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

In retrospect yes...the W was out of place. 

(insert W joke here)

lol.. it's always fun waiting for your call to be posted. I searched every day for the first couple of days.. then I forgot about it and the next time I looked - BAM! It was there :)

The VE's at W6TRW radio club at Northrop Grumman are on the ball. Took the test on Oct 26 which was a Sat. and my Call was posted on Oct 30. It really depends on how fast your VE team gets all the paperwork and what not submitted to the FCC and how quick the FCC processes it.

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Still hasnt happened yet..I keep looking daily.. guess the guy's grinding printer must have slowed him down..lol
  • erinw.rrc likes this

Nick

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I think that was a fred flintstone printer with a bird that pecked out stone tablets

• erinw.rrc likes this

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
So we're just waiting for a carrier velociraptor to deliver the documents to DC? Or were they sent by smoke signal?
  • DHappel and erinw.rrc like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users