Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I decided to lower my DII and put 22" spinners on it.....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
ha ha!.. I know it's not April fools quite yet but sorry I couldn't resist ;). So looks like I need new brakes. My brakes are squealing. I noticed this about a week ago. In hopes it just brake dust, I hosed off my brakes and even shot some brake cleaner on them and still squealing. I went ahead and took off one of the wheels and at least on the driver side the pads do look pretty thin. I called my local Land Rover dealer and they quoted me $440 per axle just to turn the rotors and add brake pads. To me, the price they quoted was a bit excessive.... Also I was a bit dissapointed that the pads only lasted 28k miles, I was hoping to get another 7-10k miles of life from them. So I browsed the intarweb and found some brake rebuilt kits and just want to get peoples opinion on what route I should go if there really any difference in terms of off-road performance.

Good (OEM)
http://www.roverpart.../Parts/9542.cfm

Better
http://www.roverpart...Parts/9542F.cfm

Best
http://www.roverpart...rts/9542EBC.cfm

HMBRover

HMBRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
I'm facing kinda the same thing since my front pads are tickling the ABS sensors enough to throw a code now and then. Before you leap, I suggest you give Tony and Cerrone's European a call (650-365-4145). They are a club sponsor and owner of www.lrrforums.com and they treat us well on parts and service.

I will probably opt for OE parts. I had Lockheed pads on my Freelander and they were fine. Don't know about AB's rotors though.
Brian
2004 Discovery II G4 Edition, "Jack" or "General Lee" or "The General"
KØDTJ
Avatar photo by Ron B; Oregon Discovery Trail 2008
NCLR019

PCRover

PCRover

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
I tried all sorts of different pads on my DII and found the OE or any OEM equivalent worked the best. The high Performance pads were the worst IMO. I could only get 15-20k out of a set of pads/rotors so you should not complain about getting 30k out of a set.
Gary

NCLR002
'94 D90

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
Tony@ Cerrone's is hooking me up with Brembo rotors and Eukobono pads for a very fair price. If you're mechanically inclined, it's not very difficult but then again, brakes are the MOST important part of any car, PERIOD.

Seriously, it's all right if the car just runs half *ss, but you sure want it to stop when you need it.

Enrique

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I just called Tony and just ordered my new rotors and pads from him. He is just an awsome guy and a pleasure to work with. Prices were very good and my parts will get here quick since he is on the same coast as me :). So i'll be swapping out my rotors and pads as soon as I get them. :D

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

ha ha!.. I know it's not April fools quite yet but sorry I couldn't resist ;).

Whoo! Got me worried there Chris for a second! :D

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
My new rotors and pads just came in today!!! Its like christmas all over again when the fedex man shows up at your door step :)

So this weekend I'll be installing my new brakes.

So my question is there any good safe way to bed the pads? I have bed the pads numerous different ways according to mfg suggestions, but any suggestions since this is my first huge heavy 4x4 :)

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
looks like i found the answer to my question :)

AKEBONO

400 to 500 miles of moderate driving is recommended. Consumer should avoid heavy braking during this period.

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
Brakes, we don't need no stinking brakes.....

On the motorcycle, we play "no brakies".....very interesting..

ChrisJB

ChrisJB

Christopher (NCLR071)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
maybe dragging the foot on the ground works for some people but not for me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users