Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

M1101

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Well, from the what I gather, I have won the bid on a 2010 M1101 military trailer. It is the 1 ton all aluminum trailer designed to be towed behind the Hummers. Ideally, I would have liked a M416 or even an M101 but they are hard to come by and much more expensive. The govment is selling lots of these trailers now and people are starting to build them up. Unfortunately, they are wider than the M101 but keeping them aluminum has kept the weight down and many of these trailers are very lightly used. Heck, its 9 years younger than my rangie!

I will know more tomorrow when I receive my invoice to be certain I won. I have to head up past Reno to Herlong, about 3 hrs from my house to pick it up sometime in the next 10 days. Roadtrip anyone? ::bigsmile::

Posted Image

Edited by Teds, 06 March 2015 - 07:50 AM.

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Congrats, what was the winning bid? Those trailers are pretty big - even more so than the M101A3. There were a slew of the M116A3 flatbeds up for auction a while back and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up because they were going for cheap and would have made a great platform to build off of.

I've been looking for a Bantam, M100, M416 or an M101CDN but every one that has popped up has been either a rusty POS that someone happens to think is worth something, priced well outside of the range that I'm willing to pay for a toy to pull behind my truck or sold by the chance I can respond to the ad.

I was |----| this close to jumping on an old Sears David Bradley trailer for 300, but someone beat me to it. Not ideal but would have been a good base to start off of.

/ramble mode off..

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Winning bid was $820 plus the 10 or 15% auction charge so I should get it around $900. If I find it is too large, I should be able to dump it for a little over $1000.

Schutt made a number of these for the military and now are in the civilian market as the XVenture which is 75 inches wide vs the M1101 at 85 inches. other than width, it is the same trailer, aluminum bed riveted. They have some great builds but the x venture is over 10k built.

Now I need to pick up a pintle hitch and figure out the paperwork. Will bring up some temporary Harbor freight brake lights and an air compressor for the tires and hopefully find a time to pick it up next week.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
remember..the harbor freight lights (magnetic? at Wally world too) won't hold to the trailer body.... can't wait to see the beast

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Buy some Neodymium magnets. I bet they can hold the lights through the aluminum skin.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
True. I have seen pic where guys have found ferrous metal near the lights or I will strap them to the tailgate. Thanks for the heads up.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,141 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
duct tape. It's all about the duct tape.

And maybe ball bearings.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
MVCC (military Vehicle Collectors of California) has a yearly free swap meet in Stockton @ KOA. This year April 19 thru 25 . Someone there is sure to have for sale a nicely rebuilt mil trailer there. yes maybe expensive but well preserved. Good value if you want a resale later to a collector
  • RedRover likes this
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Congrats Ted. Are you buying this for yourself or to sell it off? If you need to build a trailer I know a guy.

If you actually have the need for electric brakes, there is a place in Texas where I bought one for mine years ago new and shipped to my front door for about $400. Then I got my suspension and frame. Then I decided to hold off on the electric brakes and just use a Rover axle. I got some ideas on using Rover parts for a trailer conversion if you need a hand. I've been in that plan for years and I can easily make anything happen.

It's exciting to see others take on trailers on their own. I get flash backs on my build a few years ago. I looked on Craigslist for pintle's. They are always have good deals there. In fact, I bought about three different styles for under $100 total. One has grease fittings in the moving parts. I had a machine shop media blast them and they look brand new after.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I bought the trailer for myself but will sell it if it is too big to manage behind the rovers. Space is a premium when you have 5 people in a rover and I am still amazed at how Chuck has done it in the past. With a roof top tent now, ideally I would like to build a rack on the trailer and mount it there, then throw gear in the trailer underneath. Of course there are visions of a battery setup, solar, water with a pump, built in storage, kitchen, etc but for now we will see how it tows. Worst case scenario, I sell it off and don't think I will lose any money. My invoice was just under $1000.

I may want to build a top on it though as I don't think a tarp will do much for keeping out dust and grime. I am sure I will be talking to you soon. Only other downside is that the tub is aluminum making welding challenging.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Anyone buy anything for these government auctions? Trying to figure out EUC paperwork. From what I gather, I don't think I need it. I will call them Monday.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,417 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Not I.  I've thought about getting a trailer someday so please post what legwork you did to get through the paperwork process.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
I've always wondered how much paperwork would be involved if you built a trailer. How difficult would the registration be? Although I don't think the only trailer that I'll get in the near future will be used to tow the VW.

And Ted, packing five people in a Land Rover is a bit easier than you think. You just have to watch how you stack stuff, and decide what is necessary vs. a luxury. We've camped our way across the country to Wisconsin in a Prius!
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Not much if you have everything in order. Pedram registered his trailer (which he built) with the DMV without much issue. Doing that with a military trailer though, I'm not so sure if it's the same process.

• lilcrawler likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,141 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Home-built trailers are pretty easy.  Pretty much if you have it legal for lighting you just take it down the DMV and they inspect it then put on a sticker that gives it a VIN.  I did this with a small boat trailer I got for free that had been previously abandoned on our lot and didn't have a VIN or any paperwork.  I mod'ed and rebuilt it then hauled it down to the DMV.  The lady spent 3 minutes looking at it and said 'good to go'.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,417 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

If anyone wants to re-do what Pedram did, here's a rear tub available up in Portland... a little banged up but nothing that a hammer won't fix...

https://portland.cra...4925902968.html

-Jared

Attached Files

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Your mil trailer should have plates identifying date mfgr'd , manufacturer, serial number. That's all DMV needs to register the trailer. Mine was a used one and had plates. The renewal was $10 for 5 yrs and they don't send renewal notices nor can you do it on line.
On your posted trailer pic you can see the black ID plates the 2nd one shows length, width, COG, height etc. etc.
Hope this post helps.

Edited by ROVRMAN2, 10 March 2015 - 08:35 PM.

2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Picked her up today! She is large and in charge at 8ft x 8ft. She looks larger than she is though because the sides go out beyond the tires where many trailers have the tires with fender over them. She is very well balanced and easy to move on its own. Each wheel has a manual brake, built it rear stabilizer bars and a meaty surge brake. The tires are run flat 37 inches so no need for a spare but they weigh a bloody ton.

The trailer is so new, the stickers are still attached and the tires still have the nubs sticking out! She never saw a day of duty. It is a 2009 and the newest vehicle I own now.

Have to get her registered and deal with wiring, then it will be fabrication time to build a rack and mount the RTT on top for basecamping.
Attached File  20150317_152103.jpg   162.77KB   3 downloads

Attached Files

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
I agree Tyler. I am in the process of purging gear rather than buying anything else. My next trip, I will be carrying substantially less stuff and looking at keeping things more organized.

I also hope to use this trailer for non-offroad activities as well like when I need to pack 5 bikes or haul things around.

One issue I realized when I hooked her up, is that my rear swing out won't swing over the surge brake so I can't access my trunk without unhooking. Thankfully, it is really easy to unhook but will be a pain until I figure out what to do. But if I am towing the trailer, I don't need the swing out so I can take the arm Off and throw the spare in the trailer. Will figure it out later.

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

It looks great.  Seems to be sitting at the perfect height for your rig.  One less thing to worry about.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users