Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The 'GoTenna' - No service? No problem.

- - - - - gotenna antenna cellular phone iphone andro

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,420 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I was reading a page on the web about the best 2015 outdoor gear and this GoTenna caught my eye.  It looks like you install some software on your mobile device and then the device uses an external antenna that gives you two-way and group text messaging/communication when there is no cellular phone service.  Ranges between devices is stated to be as good as 4 mi. away (flat open desert) to 1/3 mi. (city/buildings/high density).

Since we often end up in remote areas where coverage is spotty or non-existent, this is another tool that may prove useful in a limited communication scenario.  Thought I'd share the find since it seemed like a novel approach. Coming Summer 2015.

-Jared

gotenna_1.png

http://www.gotenna.com

• erinw.rrc likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

So it is like making a local repeater on the cell band?  Interesting.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

I was reading a page on the web about the best 2015 outdoor gear and this GoTenna caught my eye.

Jared,

Not cheap though .... I think I saw $150 per pair.  And the frequency is just above the 2M band, so in some countries it would be illegal.  With a few mW, I'm not sure it will go very far in the real world.

Graeme

• RedRover likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,420 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Graeme,

I concur -- they have a spiel on their site that explains the conditions they tested in and *apparently* they rated their communication distance conservatively.  For that price, I'm not certain I want to be the guinea pig on this, but still interested if someone else makes the leap.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Sounds like a hi faluting CB. 4mi to .3mi
  • RedRover likes this
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,420 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Well Rupert, none of us will ever know if you don't go buy some and test them for us.   :P

Jared (KJ6MQI)

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

Well Rupert, none of us will ever know if you don't go buy some and test them for us.   :P

I will go back to finding my Sat link.....

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE

Where's Ron, it's group buy time! NOT!
  • RedRover likes this
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I haven't looked at the page but remember seeing these a while ago... I think it is effectively a router that makes a small ad-hoc network of the nearby devices.  e.g. daisy-chaining all of our cell phones together. If one has cell coverage, great, but from what I understand it would just allow us to communicate with each other on this small network.... kinda like.. uhm... Oh! HAM!

:-)

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Prior to understanding the benefits of ham radio I might have been interested, but when you can get licensed for $20 and get a Baofeng for $30 that has the ability to hit repeaters and communicate with many more people much further away, it just seems pointless to pay that much for a what's effectively a walkie-talkie. 

• erinw.rrc likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 873 posts

Very interesting idea indeed. 

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
Sorta like an Atari computer ;)

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,420 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Sorta like an Atari computer ;)

But by god, Alan Alda tried to shill them... I think they had more reception in Europe than they did here in their home country.

-Jared

Jared (KJ6MQI)

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Jared,

No, Alan Sugar came along with the Amstrad PCW in about 1985 and so the first ASIC-based real world computer (or all in one wordprocessor actually) for the masses hit the U.K by storm.  Atari never really got past "Pong" in the UK.  The rest of Europe still thought the ballpoint pen was neat.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gotenna, antenna, cellular, phone, iphone, andro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users