Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Temporary shocks needed up front

- - - - - shocks Bilstein rebuild

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

In the coming months I'd like to get my front Bilstein 7100's rebuilt. There's a place at Infineon Raceway (Performance Shocks, Inc.) that should be able to do the job, but when they're getting worked on, I'll need a temp replacement. First stop was to Rancho's site (ugghh, but it's temp, it's temp!) but they don't even have Rovers listed in their drop down menu of manufacturers. They might make something that fits, but I haven't dug that deep.

Sitting on level ground the shock is about 21" eye to eye. I won't be going off road with these so I don't need something that matches the Bilstein in terms of travel. It just needs to work well enough to get me to work. If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them. Or if you have a set of 7100's (mine are the 12" short body) laying around, I'll gladly take them off your hands.

Turnaround time is about 4 weeks from Performance Shocks, about the time it took Bilstein to rebuild the rears at their service center in Pamona.

Edited by Disco2Guy, 26 March 2015 - 12:18 PM.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Brenton,  I use Beau @ Perf Shock all the time... highly recommend them

On another note I just threw some stock D2 shocks out the other day! sorry!

I have plenty of RRC one's though?

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR

Glad to hear about Perf Shock.

Stock anything won't fit with the 3" RTE lift. The lower mounts are the eye type, not the inverted "T".

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
I have some I took off the d1. Not sure if they'll work for you but your welcome to them.

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Well, just looking at it Brenton these rancho's should fit - http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B000CB7GAY

Also saw these on CL : http://monterey.crai...4897854528.html The resi shocks are too long but the non resi classic 7100's (according to part#) that he has labeled as 6100's look to be pretty close. maybe a good set to have as a spares that you could swap onto either end *just in case*

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
Brenton, I should have the TerraFirma's I won at the annual a couple years back. I think Dan has them up in Santa Rosa. They are the TerraFirma +2" shocks.
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR

Thanks Tyler.

After some poking around last night, I think I'm just going to order a pair of 7100's. The rebuild costs $150/shock, and a new one from eshocks is $185. Plus I won't have to wait 4 weeks for the rebuild, and I'll have a set that I can tinker with. I'll just need to find somewhere to fill the nitrogen gas.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

150 ea shock to rebuild? Does that include a reach around? :)

I'd just order the rebuild kit and the couple of small tools for rebuilding them. Take them to a motorcycle shop and have the shocks charged. That way you can play with the valving too and get it just where you like.

instructions: http://wiki.racercon...100-rebuild.pdf

Parts/Tools:

B4-KT0-Y019A00 – rebuild kit
193434 – 7100 series disassembly tool
194570 – rod guide installation needle
194131 – gallon of oil

• Disco2Guy likes this

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR

Yeah, but I still need something to drive on in the mean time. Knowing how jobs go that I do myself, I'll need more time. Time is always against me and not having that pressure makes the job easier for me. I've watched a few YouTube videos of the rebuild, pretty straight forward. The problem is having a good work area, which includes a bench and vice, of which I have none. If I only had access to the workshop under the house I'm renting things would be easier for sure. It's my landlord's mother who makes those calls. It took about 2 months of going back and forth just to get access to the laundry in the garage when we moved in.

Thanks for the tip about using a motorcycle shop. I have a few buddies who ride and will get a recommendation from them.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shocks, Bilstein, rebuild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users