Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ham experts help please. 2m Antenna for LR4

- - - - - radio amateur antenna install LR4

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

so i'm looking to make something portable.  couple requirements:

need to be able to fasten it to the roof rack and fold it flat when not in use.  the lr4 fits in the garage but only by a couple inches from the top of the baja rack.

it will be used to connect to the vx-8dr in my truck.  

this is just a temporary solution until i decide if i want a perm. radio but i need to get some type of antenna outside the cab as using a whip inside just doesn't work so well. i'm just planning on pinching hte cable in the weatherstripping since its temporary.

i need to get this done hopefully before slickrock.

thanks!

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
My firestick is nice. I have it connected to the FT-2900r in my truck. The ability to fold flat isn't so much dependent on the antenna as much as the mount. It's just a piece of coax cable that connects the antenna to the radio. There is an adapter that connects coax cable to the mount on a portable radio.
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
I would do this.

http://www.amazon.co...4XLL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.co...2QQRDWQYX0TR1C6

http://www.amazon.co...927RVB1RJW92Y3N

From there you could probably fabricate a mount. Just make sure to insulate it so it doesn't ground out against the roof rack. I can take a picture of mine when I get home, but it doesn't fold back.

Edit: If it's temporary, a magmount might be best. I would put a piece of cloth in between it and the truck so it doesn't scratch it though.

Edited by lilcrawler, 11 April 2015 - 01:19 PM.

Tyler

Posted Image

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Nick,

Lots of good options especially if you are mounting on rack. I can't research URLs at the moment but essentially mount a diamon cr-702b (not sure of exact model #, lists in various other threads though- awesome 2m antenna with a folding feature) mriiroe type clamp mount to the lower of the parallel railes so below the mi height when folded. From there run coax behind weather stripping, mines at b-pillar" into truck behind front seats. Coax with mount may not be long enough for clean routing which is good. Add a length of the rj-?? Coax that is about 1/8" diameter and connect to appropriate bmc/smc elbow adapter into the rig.

I ran a similar setup on my Kenwood HT for years and worked great. Add 12v power and remote mix and the mobile decision may be a long way off.

Jared has all the specs on antenna, HRO has them and every.mojnt imaginable and the thinner diameter coax, etc...

Let me know if this sounds like it might work and if you have additional qs

Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
Here is what I am installing on our LR4. It will be for a permanently mounted HAM but should work for a HT. it just clamps on and I'm going to run the antenna inside. There is an electrically folding antenna mount but it's overkill for an HT. Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428809463.870350.jpg   146.92KB   9 downloads

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

The thing that worried me about a thin antenna was the strength of it, and my tendency to hit things on trees. I like the Firestik because it's tough; I haven't broken mine yet. Which is impressive, especially since I bent a jerry can holder once. On the other hand, if it folds back you probably don't have to worry, unless you hit it on something at speed, which I haven't done. 

Of course you can also be smart enough not to hit things on trees. That works too.

Tyler

Posted Image

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Of course you can also be smart enough not to hit things on trees. That works too.

Nick, Meet Tyler. Tyler is the 16yr old son of a member (Chuck) and who has more time behind the wheel than almost any two of us combined ... and has pulled this guy out of a bind or two... 

Tyler, the firestik is perfect for white Disco... tall and sturdy and plugs right into the rig screwed to the top of your dash ;-)

I like Chris' mount a lot but you mentioned that you *wanted* to install on the rack and that the truck, with rack, still fits in your garage.  Chris' LR4 is still his wife's (for now) and the stated intention is to use the rack for trips thus the sleek antenna would have to go on the body in such a way the truck still fit into the garage....

Thus the above..

HERE is a mount that (I'm guessing but if it's like my SD) can be attached to the lower rail or a vertical support.

H0-000193A.jpg

I believe the "RedRover Recommended" antenna for the VX-8dr like David's is the Diamond CR-320a in black.. it has a 90º folding point just above the base.. CR320A.JPG

Ok, now I'm treading on someone's religion next. Antennas and all things connected to them are the holy grail for some and there are debates that go back to the cave man days of smoke signals so take this as what I did and nothing more...

I found the regular RG-8 cable (standard coax) connected to the PL259 to be too fat bulky to be plugged into the top of the HT. So I opted for a short length of  what i think is RG-316 to run from behind the seat to the top of the radio... much more flexible.

Again, there are a bunch of reasons why not to use this cable for blah blah blah... but it worked really well for me, tucked away nicely when not in use, was;t in the way under the rear florist, etc... all good.

Tyler's firestik idea will work GREAT on your RRC when you get that beast ;-)

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Nick,

The VX-8DR covers the following VHF/UHF bands: 2 meter, 1.25 meter & 70 cm. I would personally look for an antenna that is resonant on all of those bands.  The Diamond CR-320A is a choice option.  Below is a link to HRO - it comes in a UHF or NMO mount...  I particularly like the fold-over ability.  I'm not certain you can mount it so it wouldn't stick up at all, but you could likely minimize it greatly if you can connect to the floor of the rack.  HRO will also carry all of the brackets, connectors, etc. to complete the mount.

CR-320ANMO

CR-320A

I had the CR-320ANMO mounted on the floor of my ARB rack on RedRover and it took plenty of abuse from thick trees and brush.  Worst that ever happened was a branch that forced the antenna to fold over.  Once cleared, I got out and flipped it back up.

The Comet SBB-224 is another antenna that covers those bands, but I've never used it.  It has a little more gain on 70 cm than the Diamond.

SBB-224NMO

SBB-224

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

The VX-8DR covers the following VHF/UHF bands: 2 meter, 1.25 meter & 70 cm. I would personally look for an antenna that is resonant on all of those bands. The Diamond CR-320A is a choice option.

The Comet SBB-224 is another antenna that covers those bands, but I've never used it. It has a little more gain on 70 cm than the Diamond.

Jared,

Well, after losing my stainless steel whip on the Shaver Lake trip, I have resorted to the cheapskate solution. It resonates perfectly as a 5/8 wave on 2M (and I don't worry about the rest). One of these on a MFJ1728B magmount base. Works a treat.

And the VSWR is 1.2:1 with the greatest gain of any omni ..... in other words, without a beam you won't radiate better.

How's that for bang for the buck?

Graeme

Attached Files

Edited by GraemeWare, 11 April 2015 - 10:31 PM.

• TomOwen likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Jared,

Well, after loosing my stainless steel whip on the Shaver Lake trip, I have resorted to the cheapskate solution.  It resonates perfectly as a 5/8 wave on 2M (and I don't worry about the rest).  One of these on a MFJ1728B magmount base.  Works a treat.

And the VSWR is 1.2:1 with the greatest gain of any omni ..... in other words, without a beam you won't radiate better.

How's that for bang for the buck?

Graeme

Do you bend it into a delta or quad loop?   :lol:

pssh! 1.2:1 is more than acceptable... It's odd looking but hey, can't beat the price.

Jared (KJ6MQI)

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Thanks guys I really appreciate the suggestions!

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Jared,

The 320 says it is not recommended for a may mount as it must be grounded. What exactly does that mean? If I mount it to the rack it wont be connected metal to metal as the mount will have some type of rubber padding to not scratch the powdercoat off the rack. I read some antennas need a "ground plane" but it is just something to reflect off and not something they are physycally.connected to bare metal on metal. Is this what they are talking about? I have read that the rack should make a suitable ground plane?

Nick

My Rover Pics

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
I also have the rack mount like Tom showed on the CT and I like it bc I can reach out the window and fold it over while driving. And Tom is correct, the LR4 isn't fully mine to trick out yet and is my wife's DD so things have to be more stealth. The mount location on the LR4 will allow the antenna to fit in the garage without folding.
  • TomOwen likes this

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'm watching this as I'll soon enough be doing the same dance.

BTW, if anybody needs a little RG-8x, let me know.  I have about 300' on hand.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Well I ordered the mount and antenna today. Went with the red-rover-recommendation.

Im planning on mounting it near the rear of the rack and route the wire between the rear hatch in the back of the rig

Nick

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

RedRover, aka Mr. Megawatt.

• TomOwen likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

John Shumovich from SCLR recently installed a Yaesu FT-8800R in his L322 RR. He didnt want to have to worry about manually raising and lowering his antenna so he got the diamond motorized mount for it along with the Daimond NR770HB. He even went as far as taking his remote mounted faceplate for the radio to bits and swapping out the standard Yaesu orange LED's with green ones so it match his interior lighting. I saw his setup two weeks ago on the SCLR Mojave road trip and it is pretty slick. The antenna parks down next to his roof rack behind one of his side facing lights with the flip of a switch. Here's a link to his pics of his install:

http://netshumo.smug...47669727_rHvPLn

and his post where he talks about it on the SCLR site is the last post on this page:

http://sclr.org/rove...lation?start=18

• RedRover likes this

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Nice. My next Rover will be the one with the full blown mobile rig

Nick

My Rover Pics

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

John Shumovich from SCLR recently installed a Yaesu FT-8800R in his L322 RR. He didnt want to have to worry about manually raising and lowering his antenna so he got the diamond motorized mount for it along with the Daimond NR770HB. He even went as far as taking his remote mounted faceplate for the radio to bits and swapping out the standard Yaesu orange LED's with green ones so it match his interior lighting. I saw his setup two weeks ago on the SCLR Mojave road trip and it is pretty slick. The antenna parks down next to his roof rack behind one of his side facing lights with the flip of a switch. Here's a link to his pics of his install:

http://netshumo.smug...47669727_rHvPLn

and his post where he talks about it on the SCLR site is the last post on this page:

http://sclr.org/rove...lation?start=18

I've got that NR770 as a spare and it seems to work really well.. However, I keep the Comet SB-1 on full time as the rubber duck is better for trail and gives me all the range I typically need. But if in a bind, (like at Mendo Rally) pull out the longer 770 and I'm back!

Swapping LED's was deeper than I wanted to go. Have seen it done on The YouToobs but way above my pay-grade...

I've heard a great work-around for the ft8800 remote is to order the chassis mating piece for the face plate (spare part) and mount that instead of the remote kit as it is more flush.  I learned of this *after* my install ;-(

FWIW, I mounted the head unit between the visors and remote "big mouth" speaker (No Sunroof DI) where the motor would have been, the radio under the seat and the Mic in the center console so I have an extra cable between two of these... Just putting that out there as additional possibilities for you 8800 crowd ;-)

Tom

Edited by TomOwen, 13 April 2015 - 08:14 AM.

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Jared,

The 320 says it is not recommended for a may mount as it must be grounded. What exactly does that mean? If I mount it to the rack it wont be connected metal to metal as the mount will have some type of rubber padding to not scratch the powdercoat off the rack. I read some antennas need a "ground plane" but it is just something to reflect off and not something they are physycally.connected to bare metal on metal. Is this what they are talking about? I have read that the rack should make a suitable ground plane?

Hi Nick, work has been busy so I haven't had a chance to respond.

Grounding is important, but at VHF/UHF frequencies it's pretty easy to achieve.  The mag mount will ground using inductive coupling.  Since you're not using a mag mount, you will want to have the mount bracket 'bite' into the rack and through powder coating,  to create a good ground plane.  To be totally honest though, the antenna performs just fine with no grounding efforts as well.  On the 2012 Range Rover I didn't have any way to get the bracket I purchased to contact bare metal and it still works just fine at 5W.

Once you get your antenna mounted we can test it with my analyzer.

I don't do a lot of HF work, but I've heard that you really need a better ground plane or counterpoise if you're using those frequencies... not an issue for those just doing trail comms.

Jared (KJ6MQI)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: radio, amateur, antenna, install, LR4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users