Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ham experts help please. 2m Antenna for LR4

- - - - - radio amateur antenna install LR4

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I was told that for 22m/7cm side mounted to the rack makes a decent ground-plane.. Conversation went on to say Center or rack was better (non-option) and got geeky from there. My take-away: Side mount = good  :-)

• RedRover likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I was told that for 22m/7cm side mounted to the rack makes a decent ground-plane.. Conversation went on to say Center or rack was better (non-option) and got geeky from there. My take-away: Side mount = good  :-)

I'll take a guess Tom meant to type 2 meter / 70 centimeter, or he's recently been licensed to work in Space Research or Aeronautical navigation.   ;)

• DHappel likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

well, both actually...  :-)

Gotta go, Elon's calling again..

• RedRover and DHappel like this

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

John Shumovich from SCLR recently installed a Yaesu FT-8800R in his L322 RR. He didnt want to have to worry about manually raising and lowering his antenna so he got the diamond motorized mount for it along with the Daimond NR770HB. He even went as far as taking his remote mounted faceplate for the radio to bits and swapping out the standard Yaesu orange LED's with green ones so it match his interior lighting. I saw his setup two weeks ago on the SCLR Mojave road trip and it is pretty slick. The antenna parks down next to his roof rack behind one of his side facing lights with the flip of a switch. Here's a link to his pics of his install:

http://netshumo.smug...47669727_rHvPLn

and his post where he talks about it on the SCLR site is the last post on this page:

http://sclr.org/rove...lation?start=18

I've seen those motorized mounts before but couldn't find anyone who had used one in a capacity as members of our club would, so thanks for sending this forward!  Good info.

Jared (KJ6MQI)

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
I think Sean (lateapex) has one of the motorized mounts on his 90

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Would be good to know how well it holds up to repeated abuse from tree branches and stuff over the years.  I like the concept but when I saw the motorized box in person a few years ago, it didn't scream 'over-engineered'.

Jared (KJ6MQI)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,089 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'll take a guess Tom meant to type 2 meter / 70 centimeter, or he's recently been licensed to work in Space Research or Aeronautical navigation.   ;)

I just saw that and was going to make some wise-crack but I see I've been beat to it.  ;)

I was thinking more like the ultra-low freq stuff they use for terrestrial-to-submarine coms. 

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
So can side mount be rhe outside of the rwck or does it need to be the inside of the side?

Or am i splitting hairs? My antenna and mount showed up today along with the sliders. Greg is going to give me a hand installing the sliders tonight

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I made a small bracket that mounts to the floor hardware and comes off to to the outside. This is a piece of building hardware from OSH and I enlarged to hole to accept the NMO mount Thus, I can swap antennas as needed without removing the mount or coax.

The mount you bought may be able to clamp to a support bar on your rack or the lower of two top rails (if you have).

Edit: Additional photo of Antenna Mount (lower left of image)

WP_20140915_16_43_29_Pro__highres-M.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by TomOwen, 15 April 2015 - 03:24 PM.

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I just saw that and was going to make some wise-crack but I see I've been beat to it.  ;)

I was thinking more like the ultra-low freq stuff they use for terrestrial-to-submarine coms. 

Wow, Don, coming out of the Cram session pretty confident while it's all still fresh in your mind eh?  What's your call-sign again? W6???   :P

Is 22m even a band? I think that's close to cold fusion or worm hole no??

Motorized look really clunky to me plus the additional need for space, power etc... for mounting.  

Sean's is on the rear of his truck, I think a deck-lid type mount on the seem of the door or around the spare tire carrier...

ElSol, don't you reach up and fold down manually on the CT?  That seems like best way to go - maybe even a shorter run for the coax if that matter (Jared can confirm, but it does for CB.. yes, length matters... ok ok ...)

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
Yeah I have the non motorized mount that folds and reach out and fold it over. Not a problem and easy to do. I didn't cut the antenna cable, just coiled and stashed it.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: radio, amateur, antenna, install, LR4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users