Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 Front Lower Controls arms change

- - - - - Lower control arms LR3

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Hi,

I was told to change my lower control arms on my LR3. Initially i thought the brakes are out and that is why the break squeal, but the brakes are fine after a tech look at it.

After driving sometime and the truck heats up when i go thru the bumps i heard squeaking noise in the front, i thought it might be some dry rubber or my struts, i took it to Firestone for tire rotation there they check the brakes and confirmed brakes are good. The lower control arms are out and that is causing the noise when going thru bumps and play in wheels causing the brakes to squeal.

So the questions is shall i change the whole lower arms OEM or any better than OEM. Or, just change the poly bushings. I heard that change the bushes is tough than simply changing the whole unit is easier.

Any suggestions on this and is DIY can be do able ? I heard sometimes there are couple of bolts that needs to be cut? 

Is it OK to drive like this or anything worse to happen other than tire wear? I have a trip to Boise 2nd week of May. Can i take that road trip with out doing the lower control arms?

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Most people recommend replacing the whole control arm as an assembly so you don't have to worry about pressing the bushings in/out which is a PITA and a 2 man job aside from requiring a press which most don't have on hand (I still have Colin's press at my place from doing my rear bushings and will use it to do the poly fronts one of these days).

And they also recommend just cutting the mounting bolts off as they can be seized and break when you try to remove them.

Since you are in California you may not have seized bolts thanks to our mild climate.  However it might be a good idea to have some on-hand if you have to finish the job in a single day and need to drive it.  You would hate to start taking it apart only to break a bolt and then have to wait to get a new one over-night shipped in.

It is certainly cheaper to do just the bushings, but I think I'd go ahead and do the whole control arms.  It's much easier and faster plus it will include the ball joints, though it will cost more.  I think you could handle it in the driveway in a day.  We could probably set up a wrenching day to get it done.

• yarrover likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

As for the road trip, I guess it depends on how bad they are.  In a pinch I'd say you could do it but of course it would be better to make the change before the trip.  The 2nd week of May is very soon though; I'm actually on a trip that week as well taking a boat down the coast.  We have the MoM this weekend and Pismo next weekend.  That only leaves one weekend to do the job as a wrenching day and I will need that to prepare for my own trip I'm afraid so I'm not going to be a lot of help.

• yarrover likes this

Don

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Thanks Don.

I will order the whole control arm with new bolts and see if i can fix them before the trip, if not will make that trip and do it later. Hopefully the bolts come off easy. If cannot do before the trip then will see if we can set up a wrenching day and get those things done.

Anudeep (YARRover)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

You can find several videos on youtube showing the job.  The hardest part is probably getting the axle nut off.  I think you and Pedram already did this for another job (?) so you have an idea of how tight it is.  A good impact gun will help a lot there.  You'll also need a ball joint breaker, but since you won't be re-using the old one you can just use a pickle fork.

Don

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

but since you won't be re-using the old one you can just use a pickle fork.

I had to see what a pickle fork looks like... apparently there are more than one kind:

Subject A

pickle_fork_1.jpg

Subject B

pickle_fork_2.jpg
  • DHappel, yarrover and erinw.rrc like this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Thanks Don and Jared.

I found these parts from Rock auto and Atlantic British, any suggestions?

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1027371, 1027372 - $133

MOOG Part # RK621694 ,RK621989 - $183

Atlantic British Recommended LR028245 - $249

Atlantic British Genuine Part - $315

Is Moog good?

Anudeep (YARRover)

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

So much better than a pickle fork, and pretty cheap when you roll in with a 20% off coupon.

http://www.harborfre...ator-99849.html

image_12294.jpg

• yarrover likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yes, an actual separator is always better than a pickle fork, but since he's not reusing them I figured he could get away with it if that was all he had.  You can usually also borrow a separator from most of the chain parts houses like Autozone etc.

Anudeep, I'm generally good with MOOG stuff.  However I think there is an upgrade to the stock stuff that might be worth looking at.  I believe LR have upgraded the original spec on the bushings to be firmer and last longer.  Rumor has it they just use the RRS bushings but I don't know that for sure.  Original lowers usually last 60-75K miles depending on how it's driven.   The newer design should last longer but of course costs more.   

• yarrover likes this

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I had to see what a pickle fork looks like... apparently there are more than one kind:

Subject A

pickle_fork_1.jpg

Subject B

pickle_fork_2.jpg

Subject B is used for the Prius.

• RedRover likes this

Don

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Yes Don. I came across some forums mentioned about the upgraded ball joint and also about the better bushings from RRS. I think I will go with Moog and keep the old ones, if it fails in future will change the old ones to Poly bushings and reuse them. Taking chances lets see what happens.

Thanks for the info guys. Will keep you updated about how things go.

• RedRover likes this

Anudeep (YARRover)

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Quick question. Do I have to change both at once if one is out? or can i change the one that is out? 

Anudeep (YARRover)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

For stuff like that, it's best to replace things that are pairs, in pairs.

• yarrover likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

For stuff like that, it's best to replace things that are pairs, in pairs.

Yeah...always better to work on both sides evenly.

• yarrover likes this

Don

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Damn if it is going to be a DIY project for me, I have to do lots of preparation and gym  :)  :D

Anudeep (YARRover)

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Any update on the job ? I don't need to do mine on the RRS yet - but I'm interetsed to hear how easy it is and how long it takes for when I will need to do that. I'm going to do my track rods at some point.

• yarrover likes this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Hi,

Been busy these days and could not find time to do it. Planning to do this last weekend. Not using the Rover much these days so its on hold in my priority list.

Hopefully a wrenching day so that i can get some advice and help on it or will do myself and see if anyone is available to lend a hand. Will post how it goes and some pictures when i do it sometime soon. 

Anudeep (YARRover)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

You know, I need to put a front suspension wrenching day on the list before OR myself.  I'm hoping to appeal to Justin to use his lift again.

Don

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

That would be great Don. Wrenching day and lift makes life easy. Let me know when you are planning as i need to order my spares. Please if possible do not schedule on the coming weekend 5/9 or 5/10 as i will be out of state. Looking forward.

Anudeep (YARRover)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'm traveling as well for the next couple weekends (taking a boat south for a week) so my first available weekend is the 23rd, but that's Memorial Day weekend so I expect most people have plans.  The next weekend is the 30th and probably the best (only?) option as after that we have the MORG on the 6th then we're into the OR trip.  

So I'm thinking Saturday the 30th?  Justin, if you're reading this thread how does that sound for you?  After all, we're sort of getting ahead of ourselves making assumptions that you'll have us back.

• yarrover likes this

Don

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lower control arms, LR3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users