Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Car & Driver : 2015 Land Rover LR4 (ouch)

- - - - - LR4 Discovery 4 SCV6 no bueno

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Ran across this today.  They talk about the SCV6 and it is not very promising.

http://www.caranddri...v-6-test-review

2015_LR4_cd.png

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Shocking - who'd have guessed less HP and less torque would be a bad thing?

• erinw.rrc likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Not surprised about the speed, but it does remind me of something I've noticed over and over again. For those of us who drive more..... "spiritedly"...... and who are accustomed to big torque, the downsizing really doesn't pay off. Having the gobs of torque immediately under foot make you lighter on the pedal. Switching that out for less power just makes you hit the gas harder to get the same results. 

I pretty consistently get 20.5 MPG in mixed commute driving in my 740i, and have no trouble getting 23-24 on pure freeway tanks. The car is EPA rated at 14/19. Then I get in rental cars and barely get the same numbers. Hell, I just got back from a week in Chicagoland in a Chevy Cruze 1.8 (rated 22/35) and eeked out 23 MPG over the entire trip due to the gutless 1.8 I-4. That's 2.5 MPG better than a 140k mile old V-8 in a 4300lb car. Useless.

Edited by E36 Phantom, 23 April 2015 - 08:00 AM.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So true.  I learned this back in the 80s when my father made the mistake of buying a Chevy Celebrity (ok....mistake enough you say) with a 4 cyl instead of the V6 thinking it would get better mileage but it didn't work out that way.  Very often a more powerful engine working less will do better than the smaller engine working hard.

• TomOwen likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I have also heard of a recent recall on the 2015 LR4s, as well as a lot of other issues over on the LR4 forums. Seems as though folks who have the 5.0 V8 have had very great luck with their rigs, apart from some minor electrical issues. I know of a couple people who had their 2015 LR4s already lemon law taken back.

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I also can't imagine equipping a 2014 or 2015 with the SCV6 with all the protection and junk that a lot of us in the club have on our LR3/LR4s.

This is exactly why I got a 2013, some of the kinks had been worked out with the electrical and other issues, but still has the 5.0 V8.

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Reminds me of when I switched from the 4.2 SC to a 5.0 SC... my fuel economy improved!  Also, the 5.0 (NA or SC) is such a great engine.  The 3.0 SC works in the Jag F-type, but I just can't see it in a 5,600 lb+ monster.

Edited by codynt, 23 April 2015 - 02:29 PM.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
The V8 is why we went with the 2013 as well. I get 17-17.5 mpg when I drive in mixed conditions. Kylie is around 14-15 mpg as she isn't as used to getting large heavy objects at rest to start moving. Gotta ease into that start. Either way so far so good almost 20,000 miles.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • North Beach, San Francisco
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

I bought my 2013 LR4 in October of that year, when I realized the changes that were coming. I have driven booth 2013 V8 and 2014 V6 off road, and did not notice meaningful a difference in muddy rutted hills. But I hated the dial shift and paddles on the 2014. I use command shift off road, and I kept loosing track of the paddles.

The big V8 is great. I am amazed at how the truck moves when floored. I feel like I am in the Millennium Falcon. It is not just fun. It gives me the power to blend into fast moving freeway traffic safely. 

• RedRover and erinw.rrc like this

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I am amazed at how the truck moves when floored. I feel like I am in the Millennium Falcon. 

"LR4 : It's like piloting the Millennium Falcon"

I can see the marketing campaign already. :D

• erinw.rrc and mirowsky like this

Jared (KJ6MQI)

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
Although to be fair, turbocharged six cylinders are often for better for budget engine modifications. Throw in some new cams, HD valves and springs, turn up the boost pressure, and you can get a very fast car.

I've been kind of curious as to how much of a difference you can make in a newer Rover by reprogramming the computers. I'll bet that you could completely change the ride characteristics, and adjust things like when the transmission shifts to make the car a bit quicker. Unfortunately I do not have the programming skills, or a LR4, although I hear Jared has gotten quite good at programming recently. And he has access to a LR4... :P
  • mirowsky likes this
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Unfortunately I do not have the programming skills, or a LR4, although I hear Jared has gotten quite good at programming recently. And he has access to a LR4... :P

I got skillz... but programming ain't one of 'em.  :)

Sounds like Tyler wants to build the first Land Rover SVR LR4...   :lol:  >=>=>==>==>===>===>===> :lr4:

• mirowsky and William Stephenson like this

Jared (KJ6MQI)

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
It will come right after the RRC with V10 TDI out of a Touareg or a Phaeton. :)
  • erinw.rrc likes this
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LR4, Discovery 4, SCV6, no bueno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users