Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

1995 LWB Build & Suggestions Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

So.... As some of you know.  I've bought a 95 RRC LWB from TigerDan...  bone stock but not for long.   Dan is doing most of the work except the tire swing and sliders which will be done ala Pedram...

I have received some info from colin as far as suspension stuff goes :)

my goal with this is a super-solid trail rig that i won't worry about like the LR4.  it needs to get me and my family where we are going comfortably (more and less) and safely.  i talked to Simon (i think that's his name) at RTE many times and went with his recommendations.

This is my first RRC build...  What i'm looking are for suggestions if anyone sees anything i've looked over, etc.

One thing I am struggling with are tires.. i originally wanted 35's.  Some have suggested 33's which behave much better on the road so i'm a little torn. also 35's will (from what i have been told) take a lot of cutting, etc.  perhaps a tall 33?  i don't know.  the RTE stuff will be another 3 weeks or so before it arrives.  i hoping to be able to run it in June, but i know its a lot of work.  after slickrock i'm a littly gunshy of beating up the LR4 on trails that hard.  while it was ok, i think i would have had more fun if i wasn't so worried about banging up the fenders :)

anyway, suggestions, comments welcome!

so far i have purchased:

ashcroft lockers front and rear
lt230
ashcroft axles and cv's
rte 3" lift
rte upper and lower shock mounts, front and rear
rte front and rear bumpers
rte steering stabilizer
rte drag link/tie rod assembly
superwinch
bigger injectors and ecm
rte bake lines
ashcroft 4.12 gears
rte trailing arms
arb compressor
wolfe NATO wheels
Mantec Snorkel
Bilstein 7100SB shocks
QT Diff guards
GBR thrust bolted housings
GBR Front and rear driveshafts

items i still need to purchase:
qt diff guards (still trying to find them because qt's site is down now) or perhaps something else
roof rack - i have talked to Baja and they will make me one. undecided, but i love the LR4 baja rack
LED light bar
tires
shock
skid plates

diff guards - qt diff guards (still trying to find them because qt's site is down now)

Edited by ndamico, 13 May 2015 - 06:37 PM.

• TomOwen, RedRover and yarrover like this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Build looks great! Lots in common with mine. I think 33s are all you'll need - I've got 32s with a 2" lift and can get to enough places. My RRC gets through Slickrock pretty easily, so if you're using that as a benchmark your setup here is pretty good.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

No input on the actual build but a couple of comments about usage.

First, keep in mind that (at least per everybody else) Slickrock was worse this year than most.  Likely because we were so early in the season. 

Second, as a club we don't do that many technical trails.  There are only relative few guys with 'Rubicon Ready' level vehicles. 

So I'm all for your build and wish I was able to do the same.  But at the same time I don't think you 'have' to do it since for many things we do the LR4 would actually be a better choice.  The OR trail is a good example.  It won't include much 'wheeling' but will have a lot of travel.  The LR4 is perfect for that.

Of course, if you want to do the harder stuff I totally get it.  I do too.  I just don't have it in the time/money/space budget to build another truck. 

(Yes, that's envy you hear.)

• RedRover likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

No input on the actual build but a couple of comments about usage.

First, keep in mind that (at least per everybody else) Slickrock was worse this year than most. Likely because we were so early in the season.

Second, as a club we don't do that many technical trails. There are only relative few guys with 'Rubicon Ready' level vehicles.

So I'm all for your build and wish I was able to do the same. But at the same time I don't think you 'have' to do it since for many things we do the LR4 would actually be a better choice. The OR trail is a good example. It won't include much 'wheeling' but will have a lot of travel. The LR4 is perfect for that.

Of course, if you want to do the harder stuff I totally get it. I do too. I just don't have it in the time/money/space budget to build another truck.

(Yes, that's envy you hear.)

I do still plan on using the lr4 for many things. I agree it is better suited for some stuff. The rrc will just give me more flexibility to do harder stuff. Even shaver-my first trip, after having done it I would have not taken the lr4 if i had known. There were a few spots I wanted to take the harder route. I could put more armor and a winch, bumpers, etc on the lr4 but it makes it heavier and right now I like it as it is. The harder stuff is lots of fun. 15 years ago I ran the Rubicon a couple times and would like to do it again. I worry a little about the lr4 having an electronics-related issue if i wheel it hard that isn't easily fixed on the trail.

I think without all the computer driven traction programs the rrc will be more "fun" to wheel, although potentially harder to negotiate some obstacles.

Come on Don, don't fight the inevitable. In the end, 2 are better than 1 :)

Edited by ndamico, 27 April 2015 - 06:26 AM.

• RedRover likes this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

One thing I would have done differently (and usually b/c it's only myself and the wife + dog) is have medium duty springs and go lighter on the bumpers. Maybe it's because I miss the ride on my 2010, or maybe I'm just getting soft... trade-offs!

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Not much to say on the build, but looks great and a good start. Keep a track of everything you do and post it at the end of the build. Hopefully i will and other need it down the lane.

Goodluck with the build and keep posting the pictures. See you the RRC soon on the trails.

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Looks good to me!  I am building a 95 RRC trail truck currently also. Can't go wrong with the Bilstein 7100 SB reservoir shocks... amazing everywhere especially wash board roads!

Recommend not bothering with the QT diff guards (they will fall off)  Get the weld on RTE one's.

These guy's have them on sale currently (note I am buying the 12" F&R )

AJUSA.com

AK7112sb06

Edited by SLOHybrid, 27 April 2015 - 08:16 AM.

• ndamico likes this

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

I second the weld on RTE diff guards - I have those on mine and have used quite often.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Recommend not bothering with the QT diff guards (they will fall off)  Get the weld on RTE one's.

Nathan,

If they do then you've ripped a hole in your diff as they use the diff mounting bolts for attachment.  I don't like them for that reason.  They don't just clamp on.  But I agree, weld on is best.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

thanks for the suggestions on diff guards..

Nick

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

so they ride well?  that's important to me for sure!

Looks good to me!  I am building a 95 RRC trail truck currently also. Can't go wrong with the Bilstein 7100 SB reservoir shocks... amazing everywhere especially wash board roads!

AJUSA.com

AK7112sb06

Nick

My Rover Pics

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

What color LWB?

Like the build.  Will be watching.

BTW, I like my QT diff guards. 

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

so i talked to the guys at RTE again and they said to make sure i checked what the valving was on the bilstein's.  they recommended 365/90 on the soft end and more like 395/100 with bumpers, winch, and swing away all the way up to 400/120 if i'm going to put a rack on it and load it down with gear.  I emailed AJUSA.COM and the ones they have are are 360/80

does anyone run these shocks? if so, what valving do you run?

and RTE did say the 7100SB was the best shock out there.

AJUSA.com

AK7112sb06

Edited by ndamico, 27 April 2015 - 02:33 PM.

Nick

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

White..

What color LWB?

Like the build.  Will be watching.

BTW, I like my QT diff guards. 

Nick

My Rover Pics

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

I have 12" Bilstein 7100 Short Body shocks w/ remote reservoirs. The fronts are valved 360/80, and the rears are 400/100.

It's a little rough when empty, but rides well on the trail loaded up. I don't have psi numbers for the nitro charge.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

did you go stiffer only in the rear because that is where most of your added weight will be?

I have 12" Bilstein 7100 Short Body shocks w/ remote reservoirs. The fronts are valved 360/80, and the rears are 400/100.

It's a little rough when empty, but rides well on the trail loaded up. I don't have psi numbers for the nitro charge.

Nick

My Rover Pics

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Another thing is you can play with is the nitrogen pressure on the 7100's to dial them in. If you really want to tweak them you can download the service manual and buy a box of shims as well as the couple of special tools necessary and adjust the valving yourself to get them dialed in.

http://wiki.racercon...100-rebuild.pdf

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Yeah the rear ends of these trucks are heavier than the front, especially now with the ARB fridge, 20 lbs. CO2 tank, and Tuffy box with all of my tools and spares. The 360/80 & 400/100 are typical valving numbers for Rover's.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
So after talking to Bill at GBR I went with 400 / 100 all around. I'm also getting a couple of thrust bolted housings from him for good measure.

Nick

My Rover Pics

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Congrats on the new rig and cool to see one of Dan's rigs kept in "the family" ;-)

Tyler (aka Lil'Crawler), Has/had a Superwinch at the MoM available...  I don't have the specs but perhaps he'll chime in...

Cheers,  Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users