Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Group Buy For Winch Bumper, Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders

- - - - - Group Buy Winch Bumper Land Rover Discovery II

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I currently have a portable Viair 400P.  It's rated as 'up to 35" tires'; 2.54 cfm (@0 psi, 1.7@50).  Although not rated as 100% duty cycle, I regularly air up all my tires without stopping.  Heck, leaving Pismo I also did 2 of Antonio's when his CO2 tank ran empty.

I am looking to not have to carry the compressor in the back - one less thing to dig out of storage - and just mount it under the hood.  I could just hard mount the 400P, but I'd also like mo speed while I'm at it.

I won't be using it to run the truck's suspension or air tools, etc, just tires.  I don't want to go to CO2 for exactly the reason I just saw with Antonio - it's super fast but if you forget to refill it you're SOL.  I also don't plan to mount a tank, just doing tires I don't see much benefit as I don't plan to have the compressor on all the time, just when I'm actually using it.  Though with a fixed mount unit I could always do that later if I wanted.

The ARB twin compressor is rated at 6.16 cfm@0 psi, so over twice the volume of the 400P.  It's also rated continuous duty so it should run cooler/live longer than the 400P.  Yes it's expensive and no I don't really need it, but again, who doesn't want mo' speed?

Looking at the Viair website, I see they have the 400C dual-pack listing 4.55 cfm@0 psi / 3.25 cfm@50 psi.  It is rated 33% duty cycle though.  I see Walmart has this for $288, so maybe I should look into this more.  The 400C dual-pack looks like their highest volume offering.  It might need a little more space to mount given the way it's made.

BTW, the Viair site is stupid-slow tonight.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Don,

Have you looked at the Viair constant duty set-up?  About $320 plus tax from Walmart (but don't let that frighten you).

Graeme

Graeme, I'm always frightened of Walmart.  Always.

• RedRover likes this

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Graeme, I'm always frightened of Walmart. Always.

+1

There's no good reason to ever subject yourself to the terrifying things at Walmart. Particularly when Amazon has the same Viair constant duty kit on 2-day Prime shipping for $320 as well.

Shuddering at the thought...

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
From what I've heard Viair is hit or miss. You can either get a great one that will last forever, or go through three in a month. I've never been too pleased with ARB compressors either though. The dinky "Air Locker Activation" compressor kept breaking on me, and I just used it to activate air lockers. I haven't had the new "High Output" setup long enough to test thoroughly. (Dad's has been on one trip, mine is on a shelf waiting for an install.)
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Well, we probably shouldn't derail this thread any further.  - hey look, there's a Stornaway Grey LR4 out the window....

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Does anyone have any experience with Rovers North vs RTE rock sliders? I like the price of the Rovers North but I don't see hardly any info about it online. Also, RTE has the option to add nerfs - is that worthwhile?

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
I consider nerfs a must if you are planning on rock crawling. I've used mine as pivot points to pull off lines that would have otherwise destroyed the doors. That being said, the RTE nerfs tend to bend, and then you can't open your doors. They may have fixed that issue since I had them, but dad ended up my sliders custom built when he owned my truck, because the RTEs kept bending.
Tyler

Posted Image

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)

I have the Rovertyme (now RTE)  sliders with low profile nerfs and really like them.  I haven't had any bend issues, but I do not rock crawl like Tyler and his dad.   ;)  I do like that they are slightly wider and keep me held where I want my truck to be.  If the nerfs were not there, I think I would have slide down the side  and possibly had damage.

• erinw.rrc likes this

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I have the Rovertyme (now RTE)  sliders with low profile nerfs and really like them.  I haven't had any bend issues, but I do not rock crawl like Tyler and his dad.   ;)  I do like that they are slightly wider and keep me held where I want my truck to be.  If the nerfs were not there, I think I would have slide down the side  and possibly had damage.

Not to mention they are great for hanging on to during a rain storm in muddy terrain while at an uphill angle.  ;)

Edited by erinw.rrc, 18 May 2015 - 09:48 AM.

• AlysonH likes this

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
It wasn't like they were made of paper. I just remember coming off of a couple obstacles, and having to hit them back straight with a sledge hammer. I only remember not being able to open the door once. Other than that the door would make an annoying scraping sound when you opened it.

They did do their job fairly well, and we ended up putting a set without nerfs on the blue truck, but are looking to custom build some nerfs in the future.

If you want to go the custom route, mine are made out of roll bar tubing(1.5" I want to say) and are welded to the frame. Looking back, I would not weld them to the frame again. Also, it may just be my driving, as I have managed to dent the tubing on these fairly badly on these. Maybe the moral of the story is to not drive like me :D

Edited by lilcrawler, 18 May 2015 - 09:56 AM.

• AlysonH, erinw.rrc and AdvRovr like this
Tyler

Posted Image

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
I called Rovers North and they say the RRC sliders are by Terrafirma. They didn't have any info on thickness, but I am tempted to go with the Rovers North since I don't plan any serious rock crawling in the next few years.

One of the other things I noticed is they list it as compatible with RRC and D1, but there are other options that have nerfs but are D1 only. Anyone else here think that if it fits a D1 it should also fit an RRC?

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
Just FYI, I've heard bad things about Allmakes, and TerraFirma is their accessory brand. That being said, I do have a TerraFirma steering damper and track rod, which both seem to work fairly well. I would try and contact someone that has the TerraFirma sliders, and getting their opinion about them before pulling the trigger.
Tyler

Posted Image

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
You could also go with p-fab.. ...

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

The RTE's are pretty stout, but as mentioned, can bend if you land the truck on a rock. Technically, the sliders themselves don't bend, it's the door sill that the sliders are bolted to that bends. RTE uses a 2 part construction (think 2 L shaped pieces that bolt together as a U). Some people have welded the parts together. I've not removed mine from the truck since installed 7 years ago and haven't needed to. Maybe I need to drop my truck on some rocks...

Nerfs are a good call. It provides a nice platform to get in/out of the truck, loading the roof, or pivoting on rocks and trees. Want to use the Hi-Lift on the sliders? Better have nerfs or else the standard bar will probably contact your doors. This can be an issue even with nerfs but much less. TJM makes sliders (I think) and bumpers with a slot that fits the Hi-Lift tongue.

Using outriggers (bolted or welded) can still get you hung up on a rock between the doors and frame. That's a tough situation because there's nothing to slide off of. Hopefully they haven't ripped off or become dented. Terrafirma has become a popular aftermarket vendor, but I'm still not sold on a lot of their parts since they are mass produced in China.

• AlysonH likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Jefferson from SCLR had the TF sliders on his D1 when it took the trip down the side of the mountain near Lake Isabella a couple of years ago. The truck rolled at least 5 times and taco'd around a tree when it finally came to a rest. The sliders were able to be taken off and re-used on another truck when he rebuilt his rig. 

IMG_20130609_141956.jpg

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)

Jefferson from SCLR had the TF sliders on his D1 when it took the trip down the side of the mountain near Lake Isabella a couple of years ago. The truck rolled at least 5 times and taco'd around a tree when it finally came to a rest. The sliders were able to be taken off and re-used on another truck when he rebuilt his rig.

IMG_20130609_141956.jpg

Yikes!! Was he in it when it rolled??

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

IMG_20130609_141956.jpg

Holy cow.... That's intense.

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Yikes!! Was he in it when it rolled??

He bailed after the first or second roll. His passenger was on board for the whole ride down and had to be medevac'd out.

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
How did that happen?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

How did that happen?

He was running tail of the group, had tried a different line than everyone else tried and couldnt make it up. Reversed back without a spotter and the truck slipped off the edge of the trail and gravity took over from there..

2013-06-09.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users