Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

YART (yet another radio thread)

* * * * - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

OK, I've made it a priority to have a mobile rig in the LR3 before the OR trip.  And looking at the calender there aren't many free days between then and now so I'd better get to it.

I started doing research but that felt like work.  Easier I think to just ask.  :)

Here's what I'm looking for:

removable face plate so I can mount the radio under a seat/out of the way - this is important

dual band is nice but not super important - it's really just going to be used for trail coms.  Cross band repeat is cool since it allows me to stand around in camp and use the HT via the mobile - that seems to put me into a higher price bracket (Yaesu FT8800?)  Not against spending the money but not sure I need to.

plan to mount the antenna to the rack.  Probably need to go with a break-away or at least foldable antenna/mount to not destroy it in the trees.

Whatdayathink?  Hit me with some recommendations.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
I have the Yaesu FT8800R and sadly have not installed it yet. Once you figure out what you're doing, we should have a wrenching day.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I am hoping to do a wrenching day at Justin's place before the OR trip, but that's for the front suspension bushings.  I'll likely end up just doing the radio when I can find the time.  

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Screw it....buy once, cry once - just ordered the FT8800R.  OTD cost was $380.  

Now moving on to antenna discussions!

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

YAAFT

(Yet Another Answer From Tom)

If strictly for trail comms, look at a good HT (Yaesu FT-60, VX-8xx, etc. )  Good Diamond antenna mounted to rack with flip down feature (Model listed elsewhere on here...)

Speaker mic, power supply and cup holder or belt clip.  For years I ran this set up (mag mount 2m antenna) and left the radio in cup holder in toyota and clipped to the change door or cup holder tray on DI. 5watts and external antenna will get you to both ends of the convoy (IMHO).

If not HT, then I really like the 8800 that does waaaaay more than I need it to. But I do like the xBand and I'm really liking Hyper Memory these days...  There is a trick for the face plate that I heard of and I think Chris is going to give it a try... other than that, mine is spread out all over my truck with head unit in upper console between visors, radio under passenger seat and mic in center console under armrest...  Was a very fun project and I have a build thread on my Smug site if interested...

$.02,

Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Coat hanger .... I'll let you have one for free!!!

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 872 posts
I really like my Kenwood tm v71a. It has all those things and was $320.

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Diamond NR-770HB

[/thread]

In all honesty, its a really good dual band antenna hence why so many people run it.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Screw it....buy once, cry once - just ordered the FT8800R.  OTD cost was $380.  

Now moving on to antenna discussions!

Oh, OK... Good for you!

The faceplate trick is to order a replacement front mounting plate for the RADIO.  Yes, the part of the radio that the head mounts to when it is on the radio.... and not use the one in the remote install kit.  Regular phone cable works for the relocation cable to (I have a crimper if needed) and you can do some cool things with CAT5 as I recall.

Antenna is religious. There is a Diaond something something that works VERY WELL with these rigs. They fold down at the base and make it very easy. It islets in a couple of threads including Nick's HAM thread. 

Here is my install thread to give you and idea of the separation...

Probably worth sourcing a programming cable although it is MUCH easier than the BaoFENG!. Oh, and a remote speaker, mine's called a "bigmouth", seemed fitting....

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Diamond NR-770HB

[/thread]

In all honesty, its a really good dual band antenna hence why so many people run it.

Jake,

The object of an antenna is to get your message across isn't it? ..... well, I've been experimenting with different shapes of coat hanger and this one seems to get the message across best .... I haven't checked the SWR yet though ....

Graeme

(note to Jared: If I don't get any warning points for this I'm disappointed!!!)

Attached Files

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Jake,

The object of an antenna is to get your message across isn't it? ..... well, I've been experimenting with different shapes of coat hanger and this one seems to get the message across best .... I haven't checked the SWR yet though ....

Graeme

(note to Jared: If I don't get any warning points for this I'm disappointed!!!)

Yes, that one says "You're #1" loud and clear!! 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I see the NR-770HB is in-stock at HRO in Oakland and Sunnyvale, at least the PL259 version.  I've used PL-259s plenty of times for VHF on boats - not sure what the NMO advantage might be?  Easy antenna changes?  Looks like they don't have the NMO in stock regardless but I could order it I'm sure.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Oh, OK... Good for you!

The faceplate trick is to order a replacement front mounting plate for the RADIO.  Yes, the part of the radio that the head mounts to when it is on the radio.... and not use the one in the remote install kit.  Regular phone cable works for the relocation cable to (I have a crimper if needed) and you can do some cool things with CAT5 as I recall.

Antenna is religious. There is a Diaond something something that works VERY WELL with these rigs. They fold down at the base and make it very easy. It islets in a couple of threads including Nick's HAM thread. 

Here is my install thread to give you and idea of the separation...

Probably worth sourcing a programming cable although it is MUCH easier than the BaoFENG!. Oh, and a remote speaker, mine's called a "bigmouth", seemed fitting....

Sooooo....something like this:

https://www.hamcity....-8900-p1406.htm

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Sooooo....something like this:
https://www.hamcity....-8900-p1406.htm

That is the separation kit... Sometimes included with purchase. The"trick" is to order a replacement part of the radio itself. The part where the head unit mounts/mates with the radio chassis. It is slimmer than what's in the separation kit. Might need some modification to route wires etc but I hear is a cool way to do it.

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

FT2900R all the way! Both Dad's and mine have been incredibly rugged, and we have always provided great reception. They have been great during the DV trips, and during the last three rallies. I have a Firestik with a spring for both CB and HAM, and haven't broken either in five years of trips.The FT2900r is not remote faceplate however, mine just sits on the dash in all of its glory, but something could probably be rigged.

Edited by lilcrawler, 06 May 2015 - 01:21 PM.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Tyler, would you recommend a mobile unit for the Mendo Rally (currently have an HT, VX-6R)? If so, I'll bump that up on my list of to-do's.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Brenton, Yes and No.  

Race ops sets up a Net Control on top of the hill which has pretty good range. HT's at check points along the course *should* be able to reach Net pretty well. However, the overall course covers a large area of terrain and if you are at the far end, or moving along the route, there are certainly dead areas. I was unable to reach net control from the far end with my mobile radio. I changed to the longer antenna and was back in business including reaching from the pit area.

Tyler and Chuck may have more up to date info that I do.  :-)

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
My turn my turn!!
I have the 8800 in the CT and got another one for the LR4. There is room under the passenger seat for the brains and I'm going to run the cable to the faceplate up to the passenger side of the center console. I'll snap a pic tonight. As this is Kylie's DD it has to be super stealth install and the faceplate has to be out of the way. I'm putting in a dual battery system and will pull power from that and run power and antenna under the passenger side trim to the rear cargo area. I forget what antenna I got but I put the mount on the lift gate bc it keeps the antenna out of the way when opening and closing the lift gate, antenna will be low enough to go into the garage and we don't have our rack on all the time. Here's the antenna mount. Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430952762.191597.jpg   146.92KB   7 downloads

I have the programming cable for the yaesu and I have a file with all the channels programmed w names etc. Tom figured out cross band so that's locked in as well and I just use the boafeng HT. we can do an install day at my house if people want. I have lots of power wire etc and should be easy with a bunch of help. I'm free Sat May 16th (I think, calendar shows my nephews 1st b day and I'll confirm times) and definitely free all day Sunday 5/17.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Thanks Chris, other than the antenna location that's pretty much what I plan to do.  I already have 8 ga power wires run from the battery to the center console in anticipation of this so that will save some work.  I also have a mounting location on the passenger side where I had the iPad mount that I didn't like so I'll convert that to handle the remote faceplate and probably the mic as well.  I haven't looked into speakers but I'm sure I can find someplace to put one.

The 16th is supposed to be the return date for a week long trip down the coast.  If all goes according to schedule Sunday the 17th could work but I can't be sure as travel by boat is always weather dependent.  I'll have most of this Saturday free to finalize and order the rest of my needed bits so hopefully we can get together on the 17th.

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Food for thought...

When I did my install I got some ideas from this thread here here

And HERE is a listing to the remote mounting plate workaround if you are interested in going that route. I looked, but haven't found the article that talked about this mod but will forward if I do....

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users