Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

YART (yet another radio thread)

* * * * - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Thanks Tom,  I ordered the sub panel.  It's shipping from Hong Kong, so probably a week+ to get here.  No playing with it this weekend I'm afraid.

Still need to decide on an antenna mount.  I'll probably just do the NR770 to keep it easy.  If HRO were open early/late I'd probably just swing by there and pick something up but I didn't get back to Oakland until they were closed and I have to leave tomorrow before they open.  And I doubt they have a store in Sausalito where I'm working tomorrow.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

FT2900R all the way!

Tyler,

Agreed there.  Cheap 2M and that was all I needed .... I hear that if you are an Electronic Engineer they can be modified too .... eh, allegedly....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Has anyone used the Kenwood d710 G? I like the yaesu but want aprs. I've never seen one in person.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Thanks Tom, I ordered the sub panel. It's shipping from Hong Kong, so probably a week+ to get here. No playing with it this weekend I'm afraid.

Still need to decide on an antenna mount. I'll probably just do the NR770 to keep it easy. If HRO were open early/late I'd probably just swing by there and pick something up but I didn't get back to Oakland until they were closed and I have to leave tomorrow before they open. And I doubt they have a store in Sausalito where I'm working tomorrow.

Did you see the amount I got? It works well with the rack.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Tyler, would you recommend a mobile unit for the Mendo Rally (currently have an HT, VX-6R)? If so, I'll bump that up on my list of to-do's.

I definitely would. You don't want blind spots, especially if you are going to be driving the course. Usually the rallymaster puts the HT guys on the stations closest to service, where net control is located. If you are on the course they really hound you about knowing exactly where you are, and they REALLY do not like it when you are off comm. Last year they even made us report our mileage, which did not work, as everyone kept forgetting to reset their trip meters and had different sized tires. It was a little funny when they kept getting three different numbers from all the sweeps, who were in the same location. 

One of the jobs as a sweep is to keep net control updated at all times. I had a co-driver as a dedicated radio operator, so I could drive/recover people etc. He was almost constantly at the radio, because net control kept asking for updates in the middle of recoveries. They are very strict about their HAM protocol during the event, but it is fairly easy to get used to. 

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Good to know. I have't seen any updates about being on the sweep team or not, but I'll plan as if I am. If you're "in" with the organizers, can you find out where they're at in the process?

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Hey NIck, got a link?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Tyler,

I hear that if you are an Electronic Engineer they can be modified too .... eh, allegedly....

Graeme

Speaking of... We have enough ft-8800's in the club someone, um,Graeme, could easily learn how to do the MARS/CAP mod and set up shop. Like a "de-solder" day instead of a "wrenching" day šŸ˜Š

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Hey NIck, got a link?

From hamcity

CR320A - Qty:1
K540KM - Qty:1

Nick

My Rover Pics

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Can I crash in a quick question on this thread? Re: xband repeat, if just one truck on the trail has xband repeat, could all the other people with mobiles+Hts just keep their mobile on the group frequency and their Hts on the xband repeat frequency for when they leave their truck? Or is there some reason why you would personally need to have your own xband-capable mobile?

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Can I crash in a quick question on this thread? Re: xband repeat, if just one truck on the trail has xband repeat, could all the other people with mobiles+Hts just keep their mobile on the group frequency and their Hts on the xband repeat frequency for when they leave their truck? Or is there some reason why you would personally need to have your own xband-capable mobile?

A good question.  Rather like "if Chris Solis is on the trip then why do I need a first aid kit, tool kit, spare parts, ......?"

Graeme

• TomOwen and AdvRovr like this

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Technically Yes, it acts like a small repeater. We are looking into setting up a solo unit where in the case of situations like the Sierra trip where the lake is in a valley an coverage is very difficult from lake to trail, a self contained xBand capable unit with a battery and solar and we should greatly expand our range for folks coming in to the camp.

(this is a great place for a witty comment to the effect of "only works for paid member's radios...", but I wouldn't want to be misunderstood and offend anyone ;-) 

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Technically Yes, it acts like a small repeater. We are looking into setting up a solo unit where in the case of situations like the Sierra trip where the lake is in a valley an coverage is very difficult from lake to trail, a self contained xBand capable unit with a battery and solar and we should greatly expand our range for folks coming in to the camp.

(this is a great place for a witty comment to the effect of "only works for paid member's radios...", but I wouldn't want to be misunderstood and offend anyone ;-)

the club repeater can use a mystery super-secret tone and nonstandard tx/rx offset...membership gets u the password..lol
  • TomOwen and RedRover like this

Nick

My Rover Pics

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

the club repeater can use a mystery super-secret tone and nonstandard tx/rx offset...membership gets u the password..lol

LOL~

Somebody paid attention at his HAM-CRAM-EXAM :-) 

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I've been trying to decide if the extra cost for a dual-band with the xband repeat is really worth it. It seems like there are a decent number of people with that feature, so if we were to standardize the 70cm frequency in the club similar to the 2m 146.460 "usual", maybe others with HTs could take advantage of the xband repeat and also save some money on their mobile. "Alright guys, set your mobiles to 146.460 and your HTs to 440....." 

I actually wondered if that comment would show up when I posted the last post....  :lol:

{6 year old voice} Secrets don't make friends!!! { / 6 year old voice}

Edited by E36 Phantom, 07 May 2015 - 05:08 PM.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

All,

When do you actually want to talk outside the convoy anyway?  A few miles, yes, but more than that?  That's what repeaters are for.  You all just need better coat hangers.  If I knew how to program my Wouxun, I'd see if I could reach Dodge Ridge on that .... after all, here to Oakland on 5W, using a good 5/8 mag mount on a cookie tin, was no problem earlier this year.

I'm only half joking.  It is all about coax and antenna matching .... what?  You haven't matched those?

Regards,

Graeme

• TomOwen likes this

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I've been trying to decide if the extra cost for a dual-band with the xband repeat is really worth it. It seems like there are a decent number of people with that feature, so if we were to standardize the 70cm frequency in the club similar to the 2m 146.460 "usual", maybe others with HTs could take advantage of the xband repeat and also save some money on their mobile. "Alright guys, set your mobiles to 146.460 and your HTs to 440....." 

I actually wondered if that comment would show up when I posted the last post....  :lol:

{6 year old voice} Secrets don't make friends!!! { / 6 year old voice}

(I'm predictable ;-)  

My feeling is that for trail related stuff and HT with external antenna, power and speaker mic will suffice.  Something like the Yaesu FT-60r looks solid.  But if you want/need more power of a Mobile rig, that works too.  As much as I have an 8800 and bought it because of the the xBand Rpt, I have actually never used it beyond testing. As more and more folks have that radio, I can see us getting to the point of giving it a try.   This may lead you to think it's not a feature you need.  Graeme, Chuck and Tyler have gone that route with the 2900 which is a rock solid mobile rig with great range from everything from a Firestick to a coat hanger :-)

<voice of AMEX Commercial> Membership has it's privileges </voice>  ;-)

• erinw.rrc likes this

Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

@TomOwen

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
As I understand it, one rig has to be set to xband repeat but everyone w a nearby HT can benefit. So no, you don't need a rig that will xband repeat. Personally I plan to use it for walking around camp with my HT but have the benefit of the 50w rig. As Tom said, this is going to be most beneficial at White Rock.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modificationā€¦.for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
Here is the antenna I got for the LR4 and here is the install plan. Will be putting it at an angle so it's easier for the driver to see. I'm going use double sided 3M tape to mount the faceplate. I used it on the CT and it has held up well. Also allowed me to move it easily (with goo remover).

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431115835.208307.jpg   265.21KB   6 downloads

Extra antenna length to reach.
Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431115909.308910.jpg   203.82KB   6 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431115930.595311.jpg   198.96KB   6 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431115943.079530.jpg   193.28KB   6 downloads

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modificationā€¦.for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Ive been trying to find a non-invasive location to mount a remote face in our lr4. Think you'll be able to work it over on the passenger side?

Nick

My Rover Pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users