Fair warning to you brave souls willing to follow along: This will be a sloooow build and will be a mix of catch-up maintenance, preventative maintenance, and offroad improvements. Mostly, the purpose of this thread will be to document the tiny things I do and the learnings that come with them, so there will be some minutia that might be left out of other build threads. Also, I'll keep a running list of various maintenance items that need to be addressed.
With that said, here....we....gooooo!
Catching Up To Now
- January 31, 2015:
Stolepurchased 1994 Range Rover Classic SWB with 163k miles for the whopping price of $600. Clean title, current registration, all stock, still on air suspension, always Bay Area car. Drove it home.
- February 28, 2015: Replaced fusible link bundle and a variety of fuses. Celebrated numerous electronics working right again! Replaced several exterior bulbs.
- March 3, 2015: Removed transfer case shift lock solenoid.
- March 6, 2015: Removed front air dam and fog lights.
- March 23, 2015: Wired in 4-flat trailer wiring, splice free! See DIY here: (http://tinyurl.com/qe38tzc) Also drained and filled front diff, discovered axle seal leak into swivel ball.
- April 6, 2015: Retrieved variety of items from Pick N Pull - various interior trims, latch assemblies, new headliner, etc
High Priority Repairs Needed
- NCLR Membership (just for you, Tom & Jared) - DONE May 19, 2015
- Transfer case viscous coupling (failed open)
- Brake pads
- Swivel ball seals and axle seals
- Air conditioning. Undetermined issue, compressor engages fine
- Air suspension. Clear soft fault and diagnose.
Low Priority Repairs Needed
- Power steering leak (small)
- Coolant leak (minimal)
- Clean and re-seat wheel speed sensors for traction control
- Adjust and tighten steering box (large dead zone on center)
Preventative Maintenance Planned
- General fluid refresh- oil, transmission, tcase, diffs, brake, coolant
- Replace plugs and wires
- Check engine timing
- Replace air filter
- Clear fuel tank vent lines
Interior Repairs & Upgrades Planned
- Fix drivers door latch difficulties
- Brace cubby box to support window switch panel
- Replace passenger seat switch
- Tighten and Loctite both front seat mounting screws
- Lube seat rails and sunroof path
- Retrofit Homelink panel
- Replace rear wiper switch (and cross fingers rear wiper then works)
- Replace headliner (already acquired headliner in great shape, need to find fabric for sunroof panel)
- Replace front right window regulator
- Replace cabin air filter (does the RRC have one??)
- Mobile HAM radio and roof rack mounted antenna
Offroad Modifications & Accessories Planned
- Tires (acquired barely used Cooper Discoverer ATR 245/75/16 Load E on May 8 2015 for $150 for 4. Need 2 additional for spares.)
- 2" body lift
- Explore extended bellows for air springs. Or, potential coil conversion if EAS difficulty.
- Spacers behind bump stops to ensure clearance for larger tires with EAS fully deflated.
- Rock sliders
- Diff guards
- Fuel tank guard
- Steering component guard
- Mud flaps F&R
- Raised intake (planning DIY with 3" exhaust tubing)
- Breather kit for wading, and confirm all underbody electrical connections well sealed
- Full length roof rack (planning DIY - thread here:http://tinyurl.com/pl35fqf)
- LED lights mounted front and rear on roof rack
- Brush bar if good deal found
- Limb risers
- Rear bumper (make TBD) plus custom rear tire carrier
- Hi-lift jack
- Snow chains
- First Aid Kit
When I bought her:
As she sits now (baseline, only visible mod is the front air dam removal) :
Edited by E36 Phantom, 19 May 2015 - 10:22 AM.