Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Chad's Rover Rehab (and turtle-speed offroad Classic build)

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I'd forego spouts all together and use the Super Siphon. No need to lug a full gas can off the roof when you can let gravity do the work for you, plus it's faster.

+1 on the Super Siphon.  Colin had on Dusy, been hooked ever since...

You know, I had originally planned to use a siphon before I started looking at these gas cans...... I just wasn't sure how the other people on the trip would feel when they woke up!

:ph34r:

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

All my cans are locked, move on to the sucker in the next tent!

• TomOwen likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
You're welcome to siphon from me, but as it's diesel you won't get too far

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I have several plastic jerry cans that I use to carry used oil when working.  They are....not great.  I would not trust them outside full time either on a bumper or roof rack getting bounced around.  I barely trust them not to leak tied upright in the back of my van for a couple days.  Actually, I've nearly stopped using them in favor of plain old 5 gallon buckets w/lids, but that's sort of irrelevant for this application.

I carry a NATO steel (non epa...shhh) can on the swing-out of my truck and have only needed it once in AZ.  Should I do a trip where I expect to need additional fuel I'm going to use an idea I stole from somebody else (sorry, I forget who came up with this so can't give credit).  An outboard motor boat gas tank like this:

http://www.walmart.c...dingMethod=p13n

They are very rugged and hold up to UV/salt/you-name-it very well.  They never leak.  They are available in a variety of sizes from about 3 gallons to more than you'd ever want on a roof rack, with 5-6 being common.  And they are relatively low profile.  Don't bother with the actual fuel pick-up (it's a dry-break so just leave it off) and use a siphon to drain it into your main tank.  The best part is they've been around forever and are very common so it should be easy to find some on craigslist for low $$ should the time come.  I actually have a couple around the house, but they belong to particular engines/boats already.

<edit>

If you do go this route, look for one a few years old that has a vent.  The new EPA/CARB tanks are ventless and -shocker- when they get hot they blow up like a balloon.

Edited by DHappel, 13 May 2015 - 07:18 AM.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

The CARB jerry cans suck pretty badly. I'd say get a Scepter...

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Recently they have made a "carb nozzle" for the Wedco cans so you can buy them in CA. They attach just like the standard nozzles. Ditch carb nozzle, replace with normal one.. problem solved..

http://www.expeditio...nge.com/wavian/

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Recently they have made a "carb nozzle" for the Wedco cans so you can buy them in CA. They attach just like the standard nozzles. Ditch carb nozzle, replace with normal one.. problem solved..

http://www.expeditio...nge.com/wavian/

This came at just the right time.  I got so fed up with the leaky CARB-compliant crap that I sold one of them to my dad (the not-as-leaky one) and the other I'm probably going to give away, since it won't stop leaking.  These are what I was waiting for in lieu of stuff from the 'good ol' days'...

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

i wonder how hard it is to really find someone who will still ship evil jerry cans into CA?  we'll find out because i just tried :)

• RedRover likes this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Pedram and I bought some last year....nobody batted an eye that I could tell.

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

There was a guy down here selling used surplus scepters here in socal for 50 a pop. I might try to grab a green one from him on Friday..

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Pedram and I bought some last year....nobody batted an eye that I could tell.

Don,

Perfectly legal to sell for holding water ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Latest mod - new copilot!!!!!

5e1ebcb8e06b825b7a398cd28da98005.jpg

Baby Collin was born on Tuesday, mommy and baby are doing well.

Also, crossing NCLR membership off the to-do list. The group buy is just too tempting to pass up.
  • Disco2Guy, TomOwen, AlysonH and 2 others like this

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Congrats! Most expensive mod ever:)

• TomOwen likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Highly unreliable and leaky as well (or so I'm told)  :lol: should fit right in!

Congratulations Chad!!

• TomOwen and AdvRovr like this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Congrats chad and family!

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Highly unreliable and leaky as well (or so I'm told)  :lol: should fit right in!

Congratulations Chad!!

You guys are terrible....truthful, but terrible.  :)

Congratulations - love the pic ... starting him off right!

Don

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Congrats!

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Congrats on the Baby. 

As for the extra fuel can.  I've never needed one.  Most of the guys I run with that have them either don't touch them on the trail or drain them day 2 just to get the weight off the bumper or roof.  I just motor on to the next station.  At 12 mpg you don't get to pass many of those anyway.  But I suppose if you are planning on doing an extended trip with plenty of driving then an extra 5 or so would be a good idea.  Guess it depends on what type of driving you want to be doing.  Rock crawling, the way I do it, doesn't get me much past an idle for long.  But if you have a heavy foot or want to go blasting across the desert for days at a time the extra fuel would come in pretty handy. 

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Chad and welcome Collin!!!

You know Chad, now we'll have to talk about your upgrading to a "Family Membership"...

Haha!  Congrats again!!!  TO

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
OK, time for a little update. I had a few minutes to grab my jack and run out to the Rover and spin the wheels. My 2WD problem is in the front axle - I'm thinking the CV.

I can spin either front wheel freely with just one jacked up and the other 3 firmly on the ground. The RF wheel I hear a faint rattling in the hub with my stethoscope and nothing at the diff. This is the wheel that has the leaking swivel ball as well. When I spin the LF wheel, everything at the hub is pretty quiet but I can definitely hear the diff turning. In fact, I could hear the diff turning more than I'd like even without the stethoscope so I'm inclined to look into replacing it.

So, conclusion is that something between the wheel and the front diff is amiss. My money is on CV but could be half shaft or stub axle. I did also get a good condition BW TC with a known good VC since I don't know if that may have been the cause of the issue up front. Probably won't have much time to dig into her for a few weeks though.

Also, at the June MORG I picked up some diff guards, second spare wheel, and other bits from Graeme. And, I'm borrowing his AC manifold gauges so we can get some cold air back in here. Tires will be going on all 4 wheels plus 2 spares once I get this sorted.

I'm hoping to pick up the rear bumper from Jeremy and then really need a roof rack and some sliders. Onward!

Edited by E36 Phantom, 28 June 2015 - 10:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users