Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

1988 RRC and the EFI Light

- - - - - RRC Range Rover 1988 EFI MAF

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

All right, I am having an issue with the RRC.

Check engine light off, the car will buck, almost stall, cough stutter and surge.  It is driveable, but barely.  When the EFI light comes on, the car will idle a bit fast, then settle down and drive.  Gets about 12.5 MPG at 75 MPH freeway at this time.

My first thought was, I have an issue with a sensor/connector somewhere.  As far as I know, 02 sensors are original, MAF is not, etc..and the computer is a later 90's Classic.

And I read on RR.net :  The EFI light is designed to come on when the ECU detects high engine coolant temperature (this uses a different sensor from the one that drives the gauge) or a malfunctioning Throttle Potentiometer, Oxygen Sensor or Air Flow Sensor

SO, great minds, thinking of a 1988 RRC, what sensors are active but would be inactive when the Limp Home Mode kicks in?   If I can figure that out (as it runs fine once the light is on) I can focus on those sensors/connectors first and inspect, clean, and/or replace and test.

Anyone have any idea?

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
When does the light come on? Only when driving over 40mph, only once earned up, totally at random, etc? Does the light go back off on its own while driving or only when you turn off the truck?

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

astateofmike

astateofmike

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • NCLR 004

When does the light come on? Only when driving over 40mph, only once earned up, totally at random, etc? Does the light go back off on its own while driving or only when you turn off the truck?

Usually at idle.  On Friday, on the freeway and bucking badly, pulled over at a CHP Office and just sat idling...light pings on.  Drives off ok.

This has happened before, but a random time.   It has happened 3 times so far.  Once, car stumbled and light on.  Left it on, it turned off after multiple drive cycles.  Then another time it happened and I had to reset, just a random on.  Then Friday. 

I will start with disconnect, clean, grease and reconnect all sensors and start there.  Then see what happens.  But the difference with the light on and no issues...something is being ignored when that light comes on, or the symptoms should continue.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
I don't know specifically on the RRC, but the MAF is common on other vehicles. When they give bad readings things get goofy, and then when they start giving truly implausible readings the system falls back to default fuel mapping and ignores the MAF. It's easy to reach and test. Unplug it and see if it smooths out.

Could also be a small vac leak if its driving well at speed but sputters and tries to die at idle.

Honestly, though, any of the sensors could be causing the trouble. Bad coolant temp readings could make it too rich, O2 readings could go either direction, etc etc.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Usually at idle.  On Friday, on the freeway and bucking badly, pulled over at a CHP Office and just sat idling...light pings on.  Drives off ok.

This has happened before, but a random time.   It has happened 3 times so far.  Once, car stumbled and light on.  Left it on, it turned off after multiple drive cycles.  Then another time it happened and I had to reset, just a random on.  Then Friday. 

I will start with disconnect, clean, grease and reconnect all sensors and start there.  Then see what happens.  But the difference with the light on and no issues...something is being ignored when that light comes on, or the symptoms should continue.

Mike,

Can you please disconnect the MAF when the light is off (or reset it) and tell me what it does then?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

astateofmike

astateofmike

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • NCLR 004

Mike,

Can you please disconnect the MAF when the light is off (or reset it) and tell me what it does then?

Graeme

Can't now, as the truck is at home, but I will try when I get home.

astateofmike

astateofmike

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • NCLR 004

Mike,

Graeme

Graeme,

Light off, at idle.  Disconnect MAF.  Truck dies.

astateofmike

astateofmike

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • NCLR 004

ok, back to my original plan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RRC, Range Rover, 1988, EFI, MAF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users