Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Roof Top Tent Group Buy - Any Interest?

- - - - - Roof top tent tepui

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

I have an out of state dealer that will give us 20% off, no tax, and pass through the shipping charges they pay to Tepui.

Update - I put the order in on 5/28/15 and am waiting to hear back for a ETA.  Tepui has a shipment coming in soon so hopefully we will get allocation there.  If anyone else wants in on this deal let me know ASAP.

Here is the list of orders so far:

1 )Nick D. - Autana Ruggedized - Orange
2) Nills T. - Autana Ruggedized - Silver
3) Michael P.  Ayer
4)

Edited by ndamico, 28 May 2015 - 11:08 AM.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

I've already put a reserve on a Tepui or I'd jump all over this. Jeeze Nick, way to take your time making this post...

They did give me a "Club Discount" though, so make sure you mention NCLR 

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

Nick,

Like Justin mentioned, tell them (Evan is the owner) that you are an NCLR member and you'll get a discount. you can pick it up in Santa Cruz to save on shipping

I'm very happy with my "Autana" except for the zipper but i think they're using a better one with the current model.

Edited by DiscoChef, 14 May 2015 - 03:35 PM.

• Justin likes this

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
So you guys that have the autana (a 56x96 sleeping area tent) or similar from cvt or tuffstuff- what do you think of the interior room? Good enough for 2 but not 3 people? I see cvt calls it a 2 man mt shasta tent and tepui calls it a 3 person autana but i think its the same tent. Seems the tuffstuff guys are selling it for sub-1k where the others list much higher.

Does anyone know are they actually the same quality/construction minus color?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
I've never seen the CVT in person but it does look very much like the Tepui. As far as sleeping space goes, the Autana is perfect for two adults and a small child (under ten), which is perfect for my self and two kids.

One trick for going up the ladder without shoes (painful), buy one or two (depending on ladder length) swimming noodles, cut a slit all the way down the length of it then cut sections about 12 inches long and just simply wrap it around each step...ahhh, no pain!!

I'm partial to Tepui because they have been very supportive of our club by donating an RTT for the annual raffle for the last two years.

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Group Buy?

YES!!  I'd LOVE for a group of members to buy me a RTT!  Consider me in for that part of it ;-)

As mentioned above, Evan and the folks at Tepui are great partners of NCLR's.  Standing discount, local Santa Cruz company, they've been to our events and we to theirs...

If what they have works for you - go with Tepui, Further, may be worth a road trip to Santa Cruz, meet the folks, see the operation get questions answered, head over to the Beach Boardwalk, ride some rides, catch a show... not all bad.

Cheers,  TO

• DHappel likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

i'm sure most of the players are at overland but i'll try them next week.

CVT gave me a good deal on my baja rack.  i read a ton about the tepui and the way their product has evolved.  there have been issues but they have been good about improving their product and their customer service seems very good.  ideally i would like something before the sierra expedition week.  i could see myself using it a lot then.

Nick

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

So i talked to Evan.  real nice guy.  i don't know if should post the couple discounts he mentioned or not so i won't. perhaps this should be moved to the members section?

anyways he can give us a discount. given that they are not that far away i would probably just make a trip down there to pick them up.

only bummer is since they are in CA we have to pay tax.  it may be cost-effective to find a dealer of theirs out of state to buy from and pay shipping.  not sure yet.  

i'm down for an Autana Ruggedized.  i'll update the list in the first post.

Nick

My Rover Pics

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
Michael Hohl Motor Company  3700 So. Carson St.  Carson City, Nevada 89703  Ph: (775) 883-5777     http://www.michaelhohlgm.com/

If they have it, seems as far for you as Santa Cruz...if the tax is that bad.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

once i find out how many we are looking for i'll hit of some of the dealers and see if i can work a better deal given all factors.

actually nevada is closer than santa cruz :)  then again if we go to SC i can probably squeeze in a MTB ride..lol  

Michael Hohl Motor Company  3700 So. Carson St.  Carson City, Nevada 89703  Ph: (775) 883-5777     http://www.michaelhohlgm.com/

If they have it, seems as far for you as Santa Cruz...if the tax is that bad.

Nick

My Rover Pics

AA Journey

AA Journey

-

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

When i was buying a RTT, i did some research and found out that the Tepui tents were manufactured by the same company that makes the ARB RTT just with a different company logo.  When you buy an ARB tent, you are paying for the brand not the quality as they are exactly the same.  I post that question to Ivan and he confirmed. 

I have downside my camping gear since then,  I went from a pop up trailer, to a RTT down to a tent and now i just sleep in a hammock. :-)  I like to travel light. 

AA

• PaulD and erinw.rrc like this

Antonio

KK6KSO

2011 LR4 LUX

"Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt”
John Muir

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Hey Nick,

My apologies for coming into this late in the game, but what tent are you getting? The first link you posted says sold out? I like the idea of the RTT that extends to the the back of the cargo area.

What is the price of the tent you are getting?

Regards, David

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

When i was buying a RTT, i did some research and found out that the Tepui tents were manufactured by the same company that makes the ARB RTT just with a different company logo. When you buy an ARB tent, you are paying for the brand not the quality as they are exactly the same. I post that question to Ivan and he confirmed.

I have downside my camping gear since then, I went from a pop up trailer, to a RTT down to a tent and now i just sleep in a hammock. :-) I like to travel light.

AA

However, your alcohol consumption has gone way up, which has the side benefit that the hammock "feels comfortable". :-)
  • PaulD likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

However, your alcohol consumption has gone way up, which has the side benefit that the hammock "feels comfortable". :-)

Tom,

Is that what causes it?  Might explain why I can sleep anywhere ....

Graeme

• TomOwen likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Hey Nick,

My apologies for coming into this late in the game, but what tent are you getting? The first link you posted says sold out? I like the idea of the RTT that extends to the the back of the cargo area.

What is the price of the tent you are getting?

Regards, David

Hi David, I will most likely be going with the autana ruggedized from tepui. The website does say sold out but when I talked to them they indicated availability in a week or two.

So the standard discount for the club is 12%. I may be able to get up to 15% depending on how many people we get to do it.

I also plan on seeing if I can get a better deal through one of their dealers out of state depending zales tax vs shipping. I have updated the first post to indicate who is onboard for the buy.

Nick

My Rover Pics

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
I was talking to Tepui two weeks ago about purchasing the Autana ruggedized in silver. They were out of stock at the time, but said that they would have more in after the Overland Expo. They offered me a 15% discount because I talked to them at the Overland Expo booth last year. You can add me to the group buy if it helps.

Thank you,

Nils
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

will do.   so you want an autana ruggedized in silver?  i only see it in orange on their site. do they also sell it in silver?

I was talking to Tepui two weeks ago about purchasing the Autana ruggedized in silver. They were out of stock at the time, but said that they would have more in after the Overland Expo. They offered me a 15% discount because I talked to them at the Overland Expo booth last year. You can add me to the group buy if it helps.

Thank you,

Nils

Nick

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

update - I've got an out of state dealer that will give us 20% off, no tax, and pass through the shipping charges they pay to Tepui as long as we ship it somewhere with a loading dock (no problem).

Nick

My Rover Pics

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport

Was told on the phone that they had a silver Autana Ruggedized.

I hope that that is true.

Nils

Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Was told on the phone that they had a silver Autana Ruggedized.

I hope that that is true.

Nils

They do. I confirmed it.

Nick

My Rover Pics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Roof top tent, tepui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users