Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Lr4 coolant loss

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Today thr idiot light came on. Coolant is def low. Nothing visible underneath. Dont know how long its been low, ive changed the oil but never checked coolant level since buying it.

Do the water pumps have weep holes on them? I just turned 71k miles.

Also what type coolant? Dex cool or some fancy rover stuff? Ok to mix?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

William Stephenson

William Stephenson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • San Francisco
  • p38a 4.6

Water pumps are very common on the 5.0 V8. Pull the engine cover and look for orange/pink at the top of your belt tensioner and the pulley should have pink crust on it. 

Intake manifolds come off the 5.0 really easy, oil cooler leaks and cross over pipe leaks are somewhat common too, but to examine those I recommend pulling the manifold. 

A lot of shops use Dex in their systems, I use OEM rover, sometimes OEM jaguar if I'm out of rover. I don't mess with compatibility on stuff, I can't speak on that behalf. 

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Today thr idiot light came on. Coolant is def low. Nothing visible underneath. Dont know how long its been low, ive changed the oil but never checked coolant level since buying it.

Do the water pumps have weep holes on them? I just turned 71k miles.

Also what type coolant? Dex cool or some fancy rover stuff? Ok to mix?

Mine has been coming on intermittently for about a week and I finally checked the level today -  it was low, but no leaks anywhere that I could see.  I use Dexcool that doesn't require dilution - already 50/50 blend.

Edited by erinw.rrc, 16 May 2015 - 04:02 PM.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

William Stephenson

William Stephenson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • San Francisco
  • p38a 4.6

Floats in the expansion tank do go bad as well causing a false flagging of the error code. 

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

Floats in the expansion tank do go bad as well causing a false flagging of the error code. 

I can attest to that!  

Often, it is the sensors that has gone bad and the fluid level is fine. I stick to OEM coolant. LR specific coolant doesn't mix well with others (Ain't that the truth-LOL).

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

Pretty sure I can order and have it Monday for you. I'll check on prices. I just woke up and got your text, figured your asleep so I didnt want to reply. 

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I used Pentosin coolant in my rrs - easy to get at Kragen / Winchester / etc. Look at Pentosin web site for compatible version - I think it was Pentosin SF if I recall correctly - pink like the oem stuff ..

PENTOFROST SF (without silicates)
(Formerly LIFETIME ANTIFREEZE G12)
Size: 1.5 liters (1.59 quarts), Part# 8114107
Color: Pink & Clear
CLICK HERE for PENTOFROST SF Spec Sheet
Audi (after 06/1996 up to 2005); Spec. TL 744 F
Jaguar (1997 on)
Land Rover Freelander, Discovery, Defender(1998 on)
Porsche Boxster, 911, Cayman & Cayenne (1996 on)
Saab (2001 on)
Volkswagen (after 06/1996 up to 2005); Spec. TL 744 F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Vw g12? I have that.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

so i got a new water pump & associated over-priced parts :) today.  started some disassembly to find the leak. well i found it, but not where i was thinking.

looked down in the valley under the intake manifold and i can see a decent amount of coolant there.  if water pump, won't it leak down the front?  the belts are clean, everything on the front of the motor looks clean.  something else perhaps?  i took a pic with my phone and a flashlight looking front the drivers side front corner under the manifold.

coolant.jpg

Nick

My Rover Pics

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover
Valley pan gasket could be bad?

William Stephenson

William Stephenson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • San Francisco
  • p38a 4.6

Theres a cross over pipe that leaks as well. They crack at the seem and weep down. The water pump has an outlet in the back to the oil cooler. There are two diamond cut seals, one that contacts the pump and the other one contacts the oil cooler. You can see the water pump diamond seal from the left side (drivers side) of the vehicle. If you know where to look, you can see it perfectly.

5.0 N/A is one of the easiest manifolds to pull ever. Zap all 10mm bolts off and prop up the manifold to get a better visual. 

• RedRover likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users