Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Clean or replace engine air filter?

- - - - - LR4 air filter maintenance dust

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • North Beach, San Francisco
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

Since my last LR4 scheduled maintenance I've done 3 or 4 extremely dusty runs on dry dirt roads. The dust caked up on the rear, infiltrated the doors and such. Car wash and dust rags got most of it, but left me wondering about the air filter.

Do I need to clean the filter? Or replace it?

What is your experience, practice and advice?

Being from Florida, I've never seen dust like this. I  know the effect of dust clogging a chain saw filter (no power, hard starts.) 

Is dust in the engine filter killing millage and power in the Land Rover?

Is this the only filter I have to worry about?

Or am I worrying for nothing? Can I leave the filter as it is for 6 months to a year for the next scheduled maintenance?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I find my filter gets very dirty on dusty runs.  I generally remove it and used compressed air to blow it out (reverse direction) after each dusty trip.  It's shocking how much dirt is in that thing. 

I have an extra filter waiting to go in.  Not sure when I'll switch to it as the current one is about 18 mo old, but probably this year.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Since my last LR4 scheduled maintenance I've done 3 or 4 extremely dusty runs on dry dirt roads. The dust caked up on the rear, infiltrated the doors and such. Car wash and dust rags got most of it, but left me wondering about the air filter.

Do I need to clean the filter? Or replace it?

What is your experience, practice and advice?

Being from Florida, I've never seen dust like this. I  know the effect of dust clogging a chain saw filter (no power, hard starts.) 

Is dust in the engine filter killing millage and power in the Land Rover?

Is this the only filter I have to worry about?

Or am I worrying for nothing? Can I leave the filter as it is for 6 months to a year for the next scheduled maintenance?

Certainly you should take it out and bash the dust out of it.  To be honest, at $40 for a Mann replacement, I'd change it more often than less often.  Cabin air filter too (also about $40).  Half that price for an aftermarket one.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

A couple of years back, while on the Black Desert trip my brand new filter got so full of dust that the engine stalled and I had no idea what it was, by process of elimination, i removed the air filter and it was caked on with fresh dust (with plenty of space between me and the truck in front), cleaned and kept going but it was really scary not knowing why the engine kept stalling.

I now always carry a spare one.

Same with cabin filter.

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

I would just go ahead and replace it if it is dirty. $40 is not all that much in the long run, and will help mileage, and engine health. I inspect mine after every trip, and usually replace it every four trips. A visual inspection, maybe some compressed air should be enough after a trip. Just use your judgement on replacement.

Keep in mind I have a snorkel with a precleaner from a tractor. My precleaner picks up a lot more dust than you would think, and my snorkel keeps the intake above most of the dust, so you might have to replace your air filter a bit more often than I do.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I do the same thing.... use my air compressor to blow them out after every trip and then change them fairly often.

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Time for a new filter. Sadly, those LR service schedules probably don't account for very dusty trails. If my filter is older or has been on a few trips where the dust wasn't that bad, I'll plan to just swap in a new one at the first highway fill up going home. If the filter is fairly new, I'll just blow it out after filling the tires. Keep the old one and bring it as a spare. There have been times when the air box clip was caught between the lid and housing and got mud on the filter.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Time for a new filter. Sadly, those LR service schedules probably don't account for very dusty trails. If my filter is older or has been on a few trips where the dust wasn't that bad, I'll plan to just swap in a new one at the first highway fill up going home. If the filter is fairly new, I'll just blow it out after filling the tires. Keep the old one and bring it as a spare. There have been times when the air box clip was caught between the lid and housing and got mud on the filter.

I actually think that's what killed my MAF a few months ago at Hollister. I drove into a puddle, it came up over the hood, and I exited with no power. I had to take a tow truck home :(. Moral of that story is to check for proper install.
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • North Beach, San Francisco
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

Thanks folks. I'll blow out the old filters and order a new set ASAP.

John

• erinw.rrc likes this

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Don't forget to clean your MAF. After the Oregon trip I replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF. I never knew how dirty the MA F could get.
Engine sounds smoother but haven't checked out the mpg yet.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LR4, air filter, maintenance, dust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users