Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

23 Upgrades for Discoverys

- - - - - Discovery

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)

Has any one seen this and more importantly, done these upgrades? 

I know I have a couple of the ones recommended for DIIs, but its late and I've been working and packing all week long and I can't think anymore.

Attached Files

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

I have not seen that list, but have done everything listed for the D2 (well I never had SLS in the rear). They should have split it into three categories; D1 specific, D2 specific, both models.

Most of the topics pointed out involve upgrading parts when lifting the truck. Like the cranked Watts link. You only have to do that once you're running 3"+ springs, which lets you run larger tires so you flip the tire carrier. Those bigger tires will put more stress on the axles and cv's... and it goes on.

Are you looking to do more to your truck, or that you're covered for how the truck sits now.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

HERE is the original article

http://www.fourwheel...overy-upgrades/

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

All,

Awful article.  Clearly promotes certain vendors (advertisers?) and as Brenton said, mixes D1 and D2 upgrades.  D2 "diff drain plugs" are in fact "D2 diff filler plugs", and there is at least one other dubious piece of advice in there .... but at least there was an article about Discoveries.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
Alyson, if you're interested I can go through the modification process of my DII, and the order that I would do them in. I'm not exactly sure where your truck is at modification wise, but I can definitely relay a couple of tips.

I've found that the CVs are fine stock until you get lockers. I haven't broken one yet, but I'm going to be doing Ashcroft heavy duty CVs all the way around when I put in my rear locker. If you are using lockers, then I would expect to break a stock CV almost every time. There is a reason I have not hooked up my front locker yet...

Edited by lilcrawler, 12 June 2015 - 10:23 AM.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
Thank you for replying. I am not planning to change anything else on my truck for a while and was more curious what I should make sure is changed out ie the brass plugs mentioned.

This all started with Brenton checking out my drive shaft last summer and recent discussions about carrying a spare. I would like to make sure I have everything I need for my DII and, more importantly, that I can fix it if it needs to be done.

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)

All,

Awful article. Clearly promotes certain vendors (advertisers?) and as Brenton said, mixes D1 and D2 upgrades. D2 "diff drain plugs" are in fact "D2 diff filler plugs", and there is at least one other dubious piece of advice in there .... but at least there was an article about Discoveries.

Graeme

Agreed, just need to look past the fluff.

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)

Alyson, if you're interested I can go through the modification process of my DII, and the order that I would do them in. I'm not exactly sure where your truck is at modification wise, but I can definitely relay a couple of tips.

I've found that the CVs are fine stock until you get lockers. I haven't broken one yet, but I'm going to be doing Ashcroft heavy duty CVs all the way around when I put in my rear locker. If you are using lockers, then I would expect to break a stock CV almost every time. There is a reason I have not hooked up my front locker yet...

Tips are always welcome! Lockers may come into play one day, but not this year.

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)

I thought you'd like that handy pdf so you can "pin it" on your Pinterest page.

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)

I have not seen that list, but have done everything listed for the D2 (well I never had SLS in the rear). They should have split it into three categories; D1 specific, D2 specific, both models.

Most of the topics pointed out involve upgrading parts when lifting the truck. Like the cranked Watts link. You only have to do that once you're running 3"+ springs, which lets you run larger tires so you flip the tire carrier. Those bigger tires will put more stress on the axles and cv's... and it goes on.

Are you looking to do more to your truck, or that you're covered for how the truck sits now.

Would like to make sure I'm covered. Wouldn't mind opening the drive shaft discussion up again now that I see Justin is using a TW.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I thought you'd like that handy pdf so you can "pin it" on your Pinterest page.

That would be quite redundant as the original.article was "taped" to paper before scanned into PDF.. 📝

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
Ha! I didn't notice that.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts
  • KD2RVR

Tom, you should start Taperist.

• TomOwen, AlysonH and AdvRovr like this

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Anyone have the rrc version of this document?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts
  • KD2RVR

RRC/D1/D90 are pretty much the same in terms of parts on this list.

Brenton Corns

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
Done with the exception of the spring retainers. Which I dont really want. Oh and the hd CV's which I do kinda want

Edited by JFuller, 13 June 2015 - 09:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discovery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users