Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR4 and Ticking Sound

- - - - - LR4 Un-nerving Ticking

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

So... I've been noticing a ticking (or clicking, depending on how you want to interpret the noise) coming from somewhere in or near the rear drivers side wheel area.  I know that is general, but I don't know how else to explain it.  I've eliminated the rock stuck in tire theory as well as any lose wires, or sticks, or anything hitting the rims.  It's getting louder as time goes on and the ticking gets faster or slower if I either accelerate or decelerate.  Possibly a wheel bearing going bad?

Any ideas?  I've been reading online that things like spacers can affect the longevity of the bearings.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
Could be a bad CV joint... Does it do it more around turns?
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Could be a bad CV joint... Does it do it more around turns?

No... it does it when I drive in general... in Drive and Reverse.  It gets quieter at higher speeds and louder at slower speeds. 

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Hi Erin,

I know how it feels when you hear any sounds that sound other than routine. 

I am not sure but, If its bearing then jack the tire and see if there is any movement. Also try to spin the tire when lifted and see if you can reproduce that sound.

Good luck. Hope it is found easily and a simple fix.

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Do LR4's have "stepper motors"? Never mind if the speed and frequency of the tick is appropriate to the revs of the engine...

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Do LR4's have "stepper motors"? Never mind if the speed and frequency of the tick is appropriate to the revs of the engine...

I would think they do (I couldn't find info online about Land Rover models that do or don't have them), but the engine idle and revs are normal.  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the wheel or similar. 

Edited by erinw.rrc, 02 July 2015 - 03:08 PM.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Oh, the sound I not coming from within the engine compartment...

Sounds like its something that moves or comes close to something that moves. Brakes feel ok? Trying to rule out rotor and caliper etc...
  • JFuller likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
My gut feeling would be CV or wheel bearing. I wouldn't really expect an issue from either at your age though.

As suggested, jack the suspect wheel up off the ground and try spinning it by hand. Also try shaking it top and bottom. Any movement of the wheel would indicate a wheel bearing. The CV wouldn't cause movement but could make noise. While the truck is up the air also have a god lok around the axle at both the wheel and different ends looking for signs of oil or grease. About the only way I would expect you to have a CV problem is if possibly you've torn a boot letting the Greece out which then let it run dry. If a boot is torn there should be a pretty obvious mess.

Edited by DHappel, 02 July 2015 - 06:19 PM.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

....letting the Greece out....

I blame the IMF ...
  • AlysonH and AdvRovr like this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

My friend in FL with the LR4 who had 18" LR3 wheels and spacers (and MT tires) also had a similar issue and it was a combination of the wheel bearing and I think he needed to have the tire remounted and balanced. He had the problem again on another wheel and it was the wheel bearing again. I am not sure if the spacers had anything to do with it, but he had the same problem you are describing. Good luck - hope it's an easy fix!

Just in case, you have the CPO warranty - right?

-David

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I blame the IMF ...

I blame Android

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

My friend in FL with the LR4 who had 18" LR3 wheels and spacers (and MT tires) also had a similar issue and it was a combination of the wheel bearing and I think he needed to have the tire remounted and balanced. He had the problem again on another wheel and it was the wheel bearing again. I am not sure if the spacers had anything to do with it, but he had the same problem you are describing. Good luck - hope it's an easy fix!

-David

I'm sure running spacers adds some amount of stress to the wheel bearings but I find it hard to believe it would have had an effect in such a short time on Erin'S truck. I doubt she's had those wheels on for 5000 miles yet.

Don

William Stephenson

William Stephenson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • San Francisco
  • p38a 4.6

If you would describe it as a "cyclic squeak"..... it is very common issue on LR4 and there is a bulletin for repair for it from the factory..... Its basically a parking brake clean and adjustment. The parking brake adjustment is easy, but finicky, if that makes any sense. 

If you send me a video of it I could have a better idea, and if you're still under warranty I know a dealer tech.... :) 

• TomOwen and DHappel like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

If you would describe it as a "cyclic squeak"..... it is very common issue on LR4 and there is a bulletin for repair for it from the factory..... Its basically a parking brake clean and adjustment. The parking brake adjustment is easy, but finicky, if that makes any sense. 

If you send me a video of it I could have a better idea, and if you're still under warranty I know a dealer tech.... :)

I like this guy....

And I also find this sort of thing more probable than an actual failure of a CV or wheel bearing.  I've never heard of anybody loosing a rear CV on an LR4, and it just seems way too soon for a wheel bearing under normal circumstances.

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover
It wasn't a squeak of any kind. It's a tick. I was too lazy to mess with it so I dropped it off at LRSJ this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

-David

Unfortunately no, it wasn't a CPO truck. I think it had too many miles on it.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Unfortunately no, it wasn't a CPO truck. I think it had too many miles on it.

I understand..... Yes, I don't blame you. Keep us posted please!!!!!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I like this guy....

And I also find this sort of thing more probable than an actual failure of a CV or wheel bearing. I've never heard of anybody loosing a rear CV on an LR4, and it just seems way too soon for a wheel bearing under normal circumstances.

I agree with Don, seems a lot less likely. My friend in FL had way more miles and the tires were older. He has since sold his LR4 for a 4Runner TRD Pro, then hated it and it got lemon law, and now has a BMW 540i and looking for an older Disco.
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

He has since sold his LR4 for a 4Runner TRD Pro, then hated it and it got lemon law, and now has a BMW 540i and looking for an older Disco.

Quoted for posterity

Just to repeat: guy had a Rover, sold it and got a yota which was such a pos he got it lemon lawed, and is now looking for another Rover.
  • AlysonH, erinw.rrc and William Stephenson like this

Don

William Stephenson

William Stephenson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • San Francisco
  • p38a 4.6

I like this guy....

And I also find this sort of thing more probable than an actual failure of a CV or wheel bearing.  I've never heard of anybody loosing a rear CV on an LR4, and it just seems way too soon for a wheel bearing under normal circumstances.

I have done plenty of wheel bearings on Rovers with -10k on them. Spacers/off road tires add exponential load. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LR4, Un-nerving, Ticking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users