Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR4 and Ticking Sound

- - - - - LR4 Un-nerving Ticking

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

So... the verdict is in... NOTHING! 

The low down... I took my truck into LRSJ on Friday morning, by 2 pm my service advisor called and said they couldn't get the spacer off and that one bolt was just spinning on the stud.  They wanted to know if I wanted to go ahead with the labor to see if they could remove bolt in order to take off the spacer in order to check for any issues, in the end they told me that the hub would probably need to be replaced and they wouldn't be able to start until Monday and if parts were in-stock at Land Rover, they should have them by Tuesday.  I was like, well, I guess I don't really need my truck this weekend, and I want a safe vehicle to drive, so go ahead.  

Today rolls around and by 1 pm, my service advisor had called me to say they had good news... they were able to get the bolt off, and save the stud (they re-tapped it), saved the hub and the spacer... and determined that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the bearings, the CV joint, the parking break or anything else.  

They put it all back together and test drove it and the ticking is gone.  How do you like that?  Their only thought was that stupid bolt was causing the ticking somehow.  Anyway, in the end it only cost me the labor, but they suggested I get a set of new bolts and they would replace them for free.  Lame.

At least the truck is safe to drive... I have women's trip to prepare for!

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

.... service advisor called and said they couldn't get the spacer off and that one bolt was just spinning on the stud.  They wanted to know if I wanted to go ahead with the labor to see if they could remove bolt in order to take off the spacer in order to check for any issues

... they were able to get the bolt off, and save the stud (they re-tapped it), saved the hub and the spacer....

Erin,

I'll call on Don to comment on this as he knows the set-up on your vehicle, but I'm calling BS at the moment on the above .... how can you re-tap something that is spinning already?

Graeme

• TomOwen likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Erin,

I'll call on Don to comment on this as he knows the set-up on your vehicle, but I'm calling BS at the moment on the above .... how can you re-tap something that is spinning already?

Graeme

Well, perhaps I don't understand the entire process exactly, but they said the bolt had been over torqued.  They told me they re-tapped the threads on the stud so it could be put back together.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I would have to look at it again to remember exactly how the spacers fit. I don't recall a bolt at all. It seemS like there were the stock studs and the studs on the spacer. From the description I'm guessing they were initially unable to get the spacer off of the stock studs because one had been over torqued and stripped. If that's the case then I agree with Graeme that they couldn't have simply re-threaded the stud.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I would have to look at it again to remember exactly how the spacers fit. I don't recall a bolt at all. It seemS like there were the stock studs and the studs on the spacer. From the description I'm guessing they were initially unable to get the spacer off of the stock studs because one had been over torqued and stripped. If that's the case then I agree with Graeme that they couldn't have simply re-threaded the stud.

there were five nylock nuts that hold the spacer to the hub via the stock studs.  the spacer then has 5 studs to which the wheel goes on and uses the OEM lug nuts.   One of the nylock nuts was over torqued.  

I attached their "word selection" perhaps it explains better... 

After the work "set", second pages says, "torque on spacer to 103 ft lbs. Test drove vehicle, vehicle did not make clicking noise during the final test drive."

Attached Files

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

I attached their "word selection" perhaps it explains better... 

"Misc aftermarket parts installed / may not be a warranty issue"  ... and therein is their "get out".  Buy a Land Wind next time ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

"Misc aftermarket parts installed / may not be a warranty issue"  ... and therein is their "get out".  Buy a Land Wind next time ....

Graeme

that's always the case. On the one hand, I understand and don't mind-clearly a mod'ed truck could have an aftermarket part fail that would not be warranty. But all to often a dealer will take one look, see something non-stock, and throw up their hands without even trying.at least in this case it looks like they made an effort. Plus at least they called to keep you informed along the way.
  • erinw.rrc and ndamico like this

Don

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
Well when that bolt was loose on ghost's shock tower, it made a ticking sound that progressively became louder over time. I know it's not the same thing or even in the same location, but I can see how they would think it was the bolt.

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

that's always the case. On the one hand, I understand and don't mind-clearly a mod'ed truck could have an aftermarket part fail that would not be warranty. But all to often a dealer will take one look, see something non-stock, and throw up their hands without even trying.at least in this case it looks like they made an effort. Plus at least they called to keep you informed along the way.

Yes, we've been happy with the service at LRSJ.  We take both the LR4 and the '12 Range Rover; they are very attentive. 

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Quoted for posterity

Just to repeat: guy had a Rover, sold it and got a yota which was such a pos he got it lemon lawed, and is now looking for another Rover.

UPDATE: he's not getting a Disco, I was wrong, he's getting an FJ80 or Series 100 Land Cruiser. I thought he told me he was getting a Disco, but he actually meant he would "never" get a Disco. Wooops!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

UPDATE: he's not getting a Disco, I was wrong, he's getting an FJ80 or Series 100 Land Cruiser. I thought he told me he was getting a Disco, but he actually meant he would "never" get a Disco. Wooops!

Well that puts a different spin on things.

Had a Rover and sold it.  Bought a new Yota but had so much trouble with it he lemon law-ed it.  But was still endoctranated in the Toyota story he decided to buy an older one. 

Clearly he wasn't cut out for Rover ownership to begin with.  And I suspect he might smell funny too.  :)

• RedRover and AdvRovr like this

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Well that puts a different spin on things.

Had a Rover and sold it. Bought a new Yota but had so much trouble with it he lemon law-ed it. But was still endoctranated in the Toyota story he decided to buy an older one.

Clearly he wasn't cut out for Rover ownership to begin with. And I suspect he might smell funny too. :)

He's a bit spoiled!!! Hahahaha!!!
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
My front bearing went bad on my rrs - but at 70k miles - it made a ticking sound also that got louder with speed - aamco spent an hour looking at it for me and didn't think it was the bearing - but I told them it got louder when turning into that wheel and quieter when the weight was off the wheel - no play when the wheel was on the Jack and no noise when rotated in the air. I got a new timken bearing from rock auto and had them change it anyway .. Solved the problem. Lucky they only charged me $100 for the labor ...( I guess I could have done it myself after watching them do it - but didn't have much time that week)
Hope yours is a simple fix. If out of warranty I'm not sure id take it the lrsj though ! Unless you need electrics done that need dealer specific computer. Bearing was no different from doing it on an Explorer and Aamco guys did it pretty quick while I watched ....
  • erinw.rrc likes this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I'd also note that amost all shops seem to rush to put the wheels back on with an air wrench and even when they use torque wrench to check settings after the air gun - some bolts can still be way over torqued - I broke my breaker bar last time trying to remove one wheel nut the dealer had put on ...ok well it was a harbor freight bar ! But still - one more reason to diy things !!
  • erinw.rrc and Jethro like this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LR4, Un-nerving, Ticking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users