Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Knocking D1, AKA Le Bomb....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Great Gormless Beast

Great Gormless Beast

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Halfway between Sears Point & Laguna Seca
  • 1988 RRC
  • 1997 D1
  • 1991 RRC....the donor

As TigerDan was surprised to see the photos, I'll allow all & sundry to enjoy.  Someone might, I sure didn't.  The whole thing started out with the 'no longer a tax deductions" '97 D1 starting to make some noises.  At 272K miles,  I had planned to do a rebuild on it.  It was showing minor signs of head gaskets issues,  trace amounts of mocha in the oil fill cap.  One fateful trip from the grocer, a 6 block drive, the man with the jackhammer appeared under the hood.  Long story made short, I'm in mid swap & found the following........I'll post as I can adjust the images.

Attached Files

Edited by Great Gormless Beast, 15 July 2015 - 08:06 PM.

• RedRover likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,157 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'd say 'that's going to leave a mark', but obviously it already did!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Great Gormless Beast

Great Gormless Beast

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 1988 RRC
  • 1997 D1
  • 1991 RRC....the donor

I removed the first 2 images & decided to go right to the punch line.........................

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

As TigerDan was surprised to see the photos, I'll allow all & sundry to enjoy.  Someone might, I sure didn't.  The whole thing started out with the 'no longer a tax deductions" '97 D1 starting to make some noises.  At 272K miles,  I had planned to do a rebuild on it.  It was showing minor signs of head gaskets issues,  trace amounts of mocha in the oil fill cap.  One fateful trip from the grocer, a 6 block drive, the man with the jackhammer appeared under the hood.  Long story made short, I'm in mid swap & found the following........I'll post as I can adjust the images.

You were running way too lean and have overheated the crown.  May be caused by a blocked injector, or many other things.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

Great Gormless Beast

Great Gormless Beast

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 1988 RRC
  • 1997 D1
  • 1991 RRC....the donor
Graeme, "Ta!". I'm open to investigating any & everything. Just for drill, I'll swap out that injector for one of the spares. Once running, I'll see what the fuel psi is. As always comments, & criticism is welcome. The one thing that Dan & I are trying to figure out, "How did piston debris from cyl 8, get into cyls 6 & 7, what looks like ring bits get up into the trumpet base?. A major belch? I've seen similar on race motors, running huge overlaps on the cam.

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

I think the piston destruction was caused by the top ring catching on the lip of the top of the liner as it slipped way down in the bore, further than I've seen before. At TDC the top ring would have been above the liner and expanded outward, then simply tore the top edges of the piston off from the ring land upwards as the piston descended in the cylinder. You don't usually see catastrophic damge in a Rover V8, they tend to simply slip liners, leak, crack etc. but keep on chugging away to some degree. Nick Tan's old 3.9 was one exception to that rule, it broke the timing chain and spit a rod out the side of the block. I'd kind of like to start a museum display of dead Rover parts....

Edited by TigerDan, 16 July 2015 - 11:40 AM.

• RedRover and Jethro like this
NCLR087

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

I think the piston destruction was caused by the top ring catching on the lip of the top of the liner as it slipped wasy down in the bore, further than I've seen before. At TDC the top ring would have been above the liner and expanded outward, then simply tore the top edges of the piston off from the ring land upwards as the piston descended in the cylinder. You don't usually see catastrophic damge in a Rover V8, they tend to simply slip liners, leak, crack etc. but keep on chugging away to some degree. Nick Tan's old 3.9 was one exception to that rule, it broke the timing chain and spit a rod out the side of the block. I'd kind of like to start a museum display of dead Rover parts....

Dan,

I have a 4.0 from a D2 with a hole in the side of the block to add to the museum .... or maybe I'll make a coffee table.

I've just looked at the photo again.  I thought the ring on the liner was just carbon build up, didn't realize it had actually slipped a liner (the photo is a bit blurred).  In which case it is simply Rover engineering .... the bore still looks good (still see the hone marks).

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 16 July 2015 - 09:22 AM.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

Great Gormless Beast

Great Gormless Beast

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 1988 RRC
  • 1997 D1
  • 1991 RRC....the donor

The bores all show some crosshatching.   My first thought was the ring getting above the liner & blowing the ring land up, off, out. I've wondered if the ring / piston on the down stroke could have helped pull the liner so far down.  

Dan, the motor kept running.  It sounded like a clattering, very smooth running diesel.  Consider this motor a donation for your museum collection. 

• RedRover likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users