Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Its here! With Pics to Prove it!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

So i dropped my wife and daughter off at the airport today for a week-long trip to see her family in TN.  Just had a chance to pull the RRC out and start working on it as well as take some pictures.  So here you go.  Big thanks to Dan for everything and for giving it to me before he considered it ready as well as to Pedram for modding the RTE rear bumper on a short timeline.  The maxtrax mount came out great.  I couldn't be happier!

I have several gremlins i'm chasing now which i can hopefully solve this week:

transfer case linkage doesn't seem to want to stay in 4-lo and i can't tell if the diff lock works or not

Bearmach (QTE) engine and transmission mounts vibrate pretty bad

driveshaft issue which i think may be rear pinion-angle related

ham radio install

cut and re-weld roof rack to clearance snorkel.

voyager roof rack is like a HURRICANE above 45MPH.  need to make wind deflector

wire more plugs for the back

QD air fitting on air tank

change fluid in diffs

it has weird road manners if you get on the brakes at highway speeds- it wants to dart left/right (alignment still needs to be checked)

cruise control doesn't work (dan sent me his module to test against)

lotsa little things....

anyone want a wrenching day/night at my place?  have BEER and BBQ..  not planning on working until after Sierra Expedition :)

Attached Files

Edited by ndamico, 03 August 2015 - 06:11 PM.

• Justin, AA Journey, Teds and 4 others like this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Whoa. It is actually real! :P

Congrats! She's looking very sharp. Your wind noise is probably coming from the position of your rack, it looks too far back (probably to clear the snorkel?). My Brownchurch surprisingly did not make one single dB increase over the bare roof. 

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

you thin kits worse because its farther back?  i'm cutting it tomorrow and welding in a new piece of tubing to make it sit further forward. never thought having it far back woudl make it louder tho?

Whoa. It is actually real! :P

Congrats! She's looking very sharp. Your wind noise is probably coming from the position of your rack, it looks too far back (probably to clear the snorkel?). My Brownchurch surprisingly did not make one single dB increase over the bare roof. 

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

It lives! Looks like the feet of the rack should line up with the door pillars (mainly for strength). I don't know if that will help with the sound issue. Pedram took my rack last week to weld a crack. I don't really notice much of a difference in sound level without the SD rack and 4 lights up front.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

So i dropped my wife and daughter off at the airport today for a week-long trip to see her family in TN.  Just had a chance to pull the RRC out and start working on it as well as take some pictures.  So here you go.  Big thanks to Dan for everything and for giving it to me before he considered it ready as well as to Pedram for modding the RTE rear bumper on a short timeline.  The maxtrax mount came out great.  I couldn't be happier!

I have several gremlins i'm chasing now which i can hopefully solve this week:

transfer case linkage doesn't seem to want to stay in 4-lo and i can't tell if the diff lock works or not  (did Dan enlarge the center console wood trim as the LT 230  lever is positioned more to the left ? this could cause it to pop out)

Bearmach (QTE) engine and transmission mounts vibrate pretty bad (what are they made of)  XJS mounts work the best

driveshaft issue which i think may be rear pinion-angle related

ham radio install

cut and re-weld roof rack to clearance snorkel.

voyager roof rack is like a HURRICANE above 45MPH.  need to make wind deflector

wire more plugs for the back

QD air fitting on air tank

change fluid in diffs

it has weird road manners if you get on the brakes at highway speeds- it wants to dart left/right (alignment still needs to be checked) could be those skinny 33's or check your tie rod ends better yet replace them...  bad alignment or toe in causes serious death wobble ... is it like that?

cruise control doesn't work (dan sent me his module to test against)  Check all of the vacuum lines from the pedal to the module below the left headlight and the bellows on the throttle.  Does the switch on the console light up?

lotsa little things....

anyone want a wrenching day/night at my place?  have BEER and BBQ..  not planning on working until after Sierra Expedition :)

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

After looking @ your pics I would try a different steering damper?  those Bilstein dampers always tend to push your steering to the right .... if you want the look and a better  functioning damper Fox make a nice one!  it may need rebuilding a few times but @ least you didn't buy their Shocks ( smart move)

Looks like the Cruise has been relocated too

Try to keep the weight low down (center of gravity)  RRC's are still way better than Disco's @ this though. :P

Nice rig but we need to see some scrapes on it or we may put you in the Poseur class :D

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

you thin kits worse because its farther back? i'm cutting it tomorrow and welding in a new piece of tubing to make it sit further forward. never thought having it far back woudl make it louder tho?

Can't say for certain, too many variables. But, the little Thule crossbars on mine did make some noise and the front one was roughly centered over the sunroof. I took them off and it went away completely. I put on the Brownchurch and didn't hear any difference in noise at all.

It could be that the leading edge is farther forward and I think it's certainly possible. But it could also be the lights up top, or that it has upper and lower bars, or the flooring. Unfortunately it all went on at once so I don't have solid data.

At any rate, it does look too far back, and Voyager is not a cheap off-brand so i would imagine they would've minimized noise. I think it may be worth seeing what would happen when it's in the right place before you go chasing fairings and other things.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Looking good.  Too good - now you're going to be scared to scratch it up in the rocks!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Looks great - turned out really well!

The engine mounts are solid metal (I think) so would think you'd get more vibration out of them.  With the Voyager rack, I've heard a couple of similar stories about the noise - just need to build a good wind deflector for it.  On the darting left or right under braking, could it be the bushings?  Had that issue on mine and replacing those fixed it.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Diagnosing the issues is much harder since you didn't have the truck before all the mods.  No base-line to work from.  And since everything went on at once it's doubly tough.  Wish I had more to offer other than sympathy but I'm no RRC expert.  I might be able to help with that wrenching day though.

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Got the rack cut and re-welded.  not one of my best jobs but its done and it doesn't hit the snorkel anymore.

Attached Files

Nick

My Rover Pics

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
Nice rig!

I'm curious if you happened to have an old Reagan sticker sitting around or did it come with the truck?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'm scared to do a search, but I'm going to guess you can probably find something like that on ebay.

Instead of pranking Nick with the cowboy butts license plate frame, we'll have to take a page from Top Gear and put a Hillary '16 sticker on his rig.  :)

Don

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Try to keep the weight low down (center of gravity) RRC's are still way better than Disco's @ this though. :P

Nice rig but we need to see some scrapes on it or we may put you in the Poseur class :D

Welcome to the Poser class ;-)

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

I bought that sticker new this year. thanks for noticing :)

Nice rig!

I'm curious if you happened to have an old Reagan sticker sitting around or did it come with the truck?

Yes Don, that would be a good prank..lol

I'm scared to do a search, but I'm going to guess you can probably find something like that on ebay.

Instead of pranking Nick with the cowboy butts license plate frame, we'll have to take a page from Top Gear and put a Hillary '16 sticker on his rig.  :)

• Jethro likes this

Nick

My Rover Pics

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
It looks great. I love it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Great looking rig! Now to get her dirty...

When I put up my long curved LED light bar, it really helped with wind noise. I mounted it close to the windshield and it is really bright as well! A 50 inch one would cover the whole rack.

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

Nick I love the look. The rack looks great and that rear tire carrier w/ jerry can holder and maxtrax looks awesome. I really like the supple yet inspiring IPA on the hood.

• ndamico likes this

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users