Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Slider repaint?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
My sliders are losing their powder coat and scratches and metal are beginning to show. Anyone have temporary success with spray paint or brush on rhino line type coating? Any alternatives besides a new powder coat?
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

I'd just rattle can them

Its just a matter of time til you scrape them up a bit more and will want to do it again. I've heard of good Plasti-Dip cans that turn out close to Powder coating 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Given that sliders are always getting scratched up I'd probably stay away from powder coat.  It's great stuff, but you can't do easy touch-ups in the driveway.  Fortunately here in CA we don't have to worry about rust too much so a scratch isn't a critical issue. 

I haven't tried the spray-on bedliner stuff but I've read where others have liked it.  I just use Rustoleum satin or flat black and roll it on with a 4" foam roller.  In fact, I did a little touch-up on mine yesterday. I like the roller better than spray paint because I can do touch-ups without having to worry about overspray and it puts a thicker layer of paint on.  It's also cheaper than buying rattle cans.

Maybe once a year I'll take my sliders and skids off entirely.  Then I'll use a wire brush to clean up any rusty areas as best I can and then spray them with Rustoleum 'rust reformer'.  It converts rusty metal to a paintable surface and can be used as a primer for a top coat or just left as-is.

Edited by DHappel, 10 August 2015 - 07:50 AM.

• Justin likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
Don, I think I have to worry about salt corrosion. I impulsively drove on Bonnevile and have power washed, soaped and power washed the undercarriage 3x. I still got Oregon dirt too. Live and learn, but I had fun.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Can't blame you for driving on the salt at Bonneville.  I'd have done it too.  :)

Don

willie101abn502

willie101abn502

Beginner

• NCLR Guest
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Try lizard skin, used this on my rails, in WV, winter salt corrosive and coal dust is acidic. Use ss hardware and 1/8'' stand-off from body

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Never considered lizard skin. I thought it was more of a thermal and acoustic coating.

For my use I'll stick to the easy to touch up stuff since I scratch it up pretty much every time out. At least if I'm having any fun.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users