Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

1995 P-Fab discovery

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Pedram,

Drawn a blank so far this end, although I have one last chance on Monday, but not holding my breath on that.

So, I've discussed this with so many people now and there are options, but none are super-easy.

(a)  Convert back to v-belt using an earlier cover all the associated ancillaries (steering pump, alternator, etc etc).  All bolt-on and someone might do you a deal on the parts package.  All basically bolt-on, except I'm told for the AC lines.

( b ) Convert from distributor to a GEMs (as per the later models.  Lots of wiring and ECU changes -- more than I'd want to do.

( c ) Convert from distributor to aftermarket distributor-less (using a Megasquirt or similar),  Often done by the custom boys in the U.K., but needs a fair amount of time and effort to get it right.  Guess you don't have too much of either of those.  You'd have a real powerful combination though, with the ability to program with a laptop based on established parts.  Also less prone to water-based ignition issues.

(d) Mill out a later cover -- this doesn't seem that hard to me, but I'd need a pattern (your old one).  You could also cut and weld two covers together if you know anyone handy with a TIG welder (sorry, I can cut them, but my welding of aluminum isn't up to that).

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 21 August 2015 - 07:05 PM.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Good luck getting a mega squirt past smog....  I'm not liking the chances of that.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
$18 at pick n pull. I've never opened mine that far. What does it take? I could check it out Sunday possibly.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Justin says it took less than an hour. But I think you need to remove the front pulley and some other parts to access the cover. Not to hard. But again I didn't do that in the truck myself. This was Justin's guy.

If anyone has a good part that is willing to sell it, please let me know. I'll pay you for your time and part. Thank you all.

Mobile texter with some tappingtalkeršŸ“³

Edited by Pedram, 21 August 2015 - 09:58 PM.

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
Pedram. Please call. 916.825.4973

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
So John Gadd is MIA. Still waiting for something for sale or shipped. I know he had the parts I need because it took him almost a month to finally look in his inventory and give me a quote. I reply quickly each time and wait for a reply.

Also waiting for a refund on one from Justin's end. So that didn't go well either.

Graeme is probably my only hope and he is busting out things from nowhere. He's already found me a part and is halfway into removing it for me. So I big thank you to him for going the distance. Graeme I owe you a few beers.

Stop nothing going on with the truck. It's been parked in Sac since this started. I hope my battery doesn't die. I just got it this year and it wasn't cheap.

Anyways thank you to everyone involved. I'm still at a stand still until something that looks good enough is finished or found.

It's like watching dirt grow in the desert.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Graeme is probably my only hope and he is busting out things from nowhere. He's already found me a part and is halfway into removing it for me. So I big thank you to him for going the distance. Graeme I owe you a few beers.

Pedram,

All being well, it will be off by the end of the weekend (I might get Lucas to finish it, his hands are smaller).

I did realize that there is also the distributor fixing stud to install.  That seems to be into a threaded insert, something like this:

http://www.grainger...._AS01?$smthumb$

The old one doesn't want to come out, so I'll work something out for it.  I'd prefer not to cut/melt it out.

Let us hope that the oil pump looks okay on this one once it is out ....

Graeme

• AdvRovr likes this

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Nice work Graeme. Looking forward to seeing the P Fab beast on the road again.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
With my luck the pump will end up worse. I told Jarell if he pulls one for me I would pay him for his time. He went out in search for the mechanical experience and came up empty. I'm not sure he knows what he's looking at. But it was worth a try.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

With my luck the pump will end up worse. I told Jarell if he pulls one for me I would pay him for his time. He went out in search for the mechanical experience and came up empty. I'm not sure he knows what he's looking at. But it was worth a try.

Mobile texter with some tappingtalker

Pedram,

If you come up with another later model cover, get it to me.  It is as easy to modify 10 as it is to modify 1, since most of the time is in the set-up.

Graeme

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Practice makes perfect

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Pedram,

All being well, it will be off by the end of the weekend (I might get Lucas to finish it, his hands are smaller).

I did realize that there is also the distributor fixing stud to install.  That seems to be into a threaded insert, something like this:

http://www.grainger...._AS01?$smthumb$

The old one doesn't want to come out, so I'll work something out for it.  I'd prefer not to cut/melt it out.

Let us hope that the oil pump looks okay on this one once it is out ....

Graeme

Pedram,

I now have the cover and the oil pump is good, not perfect, but good.  So I'll try to get it milled out this week.  Trying to do 5 days work in 4 this week, so can't promise I'll get it done before next weekend, but I'll try.

Still not sure on the insert for the dissy hold-down, but if I have to I'll melt that old one out.

Regards,

Graeme

• AdvRovr likes this

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Thanks Graeme. I really appreciate the progress.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Wow, this has become really involved.  Can this fabricated part be reused, even if the oil pump goes bad, or are you back to square one when that occurs?

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
Jared,

The oil pump is what causes the part to go bad. It is integral to the cover.

Graeme

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Wow, this has become really involved. Can this fabricated part be reused, even if the oil pump goes bad, or are you back to square one when that occurs?

Story of my life.

So yeah, Owning a 95 disco or classic has it's down sides. Good luck all you poor saps. By the end of this repair I'll have a few good spares for sale! Graeme will have a machine shop ready for this template.

We are good now. This club needs someone like me to find some weak point on these Rovers before it's a serious issue for you guys. Taking one for the team.

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

Between one off interiors and one off engine parts, I was happy to stick with the 1988 over the 1995.  Now, to find a 93 LWB I like...

• erinw.rrc likes this

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I have a shell sitting at my storage. Almost complete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users