Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

High temperatures on the DII... Bad thermostat?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
I noticed my factory gauge start to climb towards the read as I was driving on the highway at 55mph. The outdoor temperature was 116°F, so I did t think too much of it, I just turned on the heat, and the gauge returned to normal rather quickly. Today I was cruising at the speed limit of 75 when it was 101°F, and my water temperature went up to 231(measured on the new Scanguage). That seems quite high to me. I have noticed a pinhole leak in my lower radiator hose, so would it be worth doing the thermostat with the hoses? Around town the water temperature stuck to around 215°F.
Thanks,
Tyler
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

if your going to do it put a 180 degrees thermostat. Btw have a good time in college

Edited by lutz, 15 August 2015 - 07:18 PM.

• TomOwen likes this

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
Thanks! I'm not sure if it has one in it already, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. It just strikes we as odd that it is warmer on the freeway than idling around town.
Tyler

Posted Image

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
I sprayed out the radiator a little bit, and it was sitting around 225instead of the 232 yesterday. Exact same drive, still 101°F out. Based upon the fact that it's cooler around town, I don't think it's the thermostat. I guess it's time to pull the rad out for a cleaning, and do a chemical flush along with the all the hoses. We'll see what it does them.
Tyler

Posted Image

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Tyler,

Cow Mountain dust ... good for at least 10 degrees on Katrina .... I couldn't even see the radiator fins .... that'll happen when you run 30 miles or so at high speed tailgating another vehicle.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

willie101abn502

willie101abn502

Beginner

• NCLR Guest
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Use the thermostat for a d2 diesel, lower temperature for summer, not good for winter

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users