Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

NATT (not another tire thread!)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified
Get it Don! I'd love to see a set and hear your impressions of them.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I did some price searching for the 275/70-18 on-line and found many places didn't have them in stock so I was getting worried.  

Called America's Tire in Santa Clara (Thanks Miguel for the raffle donations!) and they said not in stock but can have it in 5-7 days and will drop ship to the Elk Grove store for me since it's MUCH closer than Santa Clara.  Price was $298.  On-line prices were cheaper until you add shipping, then the best I saw was about $320.  About a wash when you figure the tax on the local sale, but of course it's nice to work with a local when you can and I've got the gift certificates to work with.  Also, Cooper is running a $70 off on a set of 4 promo until the end of the month so I'll want to get in on that.

I ordered 1 tire to start with so I can experiment with sizing.  I'm pretty sure I can make it fit but before blowing the bank on 5 I wanted to make sure.  It should be here in time to test next weekend.

Just in time - I cut a sidewall on the White Rock trip, then another on the Sedona trip.  I plugged them, but they both still have slow leaks and I certainly don't put a lot of trust in a multi-plug sidewall repair.  OK for trail work but a bit dodgy for 80 mph freeway speeds.

I noticed Bill Burke's RRC was running these tires.  Was that a sign?  :)

(Unrelated note - Paul and I got to rummage through the spares kit in the back of Bill's truck to find a rotor to test with.  I will never be that organized!)

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

And crap.... just got a call saying sorry but they can't actually get my size as they're on national back-order.  Best guess was 8 weeks but that was low confidence.

Back to the drawing board.   :angry:

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

It now looks like the leading contender is the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3.  America's Tire lists them at $349; Wally world says $325.  I haven't checked anybody else yet.  

The Nitto Trail Grappler is next, or the Toyo MT.  

I thought I had this over and done.  

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Strike 2.

After getting no love on my first choice the Cooper STT Pro I made a call about option no. 2 - Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3.  Again, it's shown as available on the webz but it's about $50 more than the Cooper.

Just got off the phone with America's Tire....not available until late 4th qtr.

Who knew it was this hard to spend money?

Now I'm down to the 3rd string tires or waiting until the end of the year which I'd rather not do given the condition of my current Duratracs.  The next choices are Nitto Trail Grappler or maybe the Toyo M/T.  The Nitto doesn't look quite so highway friendly as it has virtually no siping, and the Toyo is reported to be super-heavy.  I may have to do more research on these guys and see what availability looks like for them.

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

i've never met a Nitto tire than i thought was worth a crap....  yes the toyo is heavy.. but so is my rig lol.. toyo has an at2 extreme too if you don't want full mud.

what about the bighorn MT762?  not too spendy

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I had pretty much decided to try for the Toyo next but I don't see them on the DTD or America's Tire sites.  And since I've got about $300 in gift certificates for AmTire it would be worth-while to stick with them as a vendor.

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Toyo is les schwab AFAIK... my buddy runs the les schwab in Ripon.  if you're interested i can put you in contact with him.  its worth it for me to drive to Ripon instead of the sac store..  then again 300$ in gift certs is pretty hard to pass up.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Just called Cooper and spoke to Doug who checked production and although he couldn't give a specific date he said there are a lot in the pipeline and they should be pushing them out soon. Maybe I'll wait another week or so and try again. It's either tat or try the Nitto.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I spoke with Miguel at America's Tire again today and went ahead and ordered a set of 5 275-70-18 Cooper STT Pros.  They still don't have them but he says he should be able to get them in 4 to 6 weeks.  That's not great, but it's faster than he can get the Mickey Thompsons (8 weeks) and I figure waiting to order won't help matters any.

Hopefully they'll be here in time for me to get them and make any do any trimming I have to before the Rubicon snow run.

Don

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

I spoke with Miguel at America's Tire again today and went ahead and ordered a set of 5 275-70-18 Cooper STT Pros. They still don't have them but he says he should be able to get them in 4 to 6 weeks. That's not great, but it's faster than he can get the Mickey Thompsons (8 weeks) and I figure waiting to order won't help matters any.

Hopefully they'll be here in time for me to get them and make any do any trimming I have to before the Rubicon snow run.

Hmm. I may have to give him a call to see if I can get some Maxxis Bighorns. I still stuck between the Bighorns and the KM2s. If they can't get the bighorns I think I am going to get another set of KM2s.

Edited by lilcrawler, 28 October 2015 - 05:10 PM.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Good news! Miguel called and said he'll have the tires next week. I'll still haveexist to run my old Duratracs at the MORG but should have them ready soon after.

Don

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Good news! Miguel called and said he'll have the tires next week. I'll still haveexist to run my old Duratracs at the MORG but should have them ready soon after.

That's great!

Rubicon here we come!
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Awesome. Good news.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The previous call from Miguel proved to be a little premature.  He did get 4 of the 5 tires in a couple weeks ago, but I've been waiting on the 5th before I go all the way down there to pick them up.  Got the call today that the 5th tire is here (apparently FedEx lost it??) so I'll be picking them up this week.  Now I just have to get the #@&$ suspension to stop acting up so I can wheel the thing!!

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The wallet is lighter, but hello kitty is heavier.

20151118_165652_zpsfr1up4as.jpg

Just got home.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to put them on the LR3 and see how much trimming I'll have to do.

• Disco2Guy likes this

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Don,

So what happened to buying one to check the fit?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I got impatient.  

This is just 'motivation' to make them fit!

• erinw.rrc likes this

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Patience is overrated

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk

Nick

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I did install the tires today.  They fit, but will need some more trimming as expected.  Too dark for pics but I'll post some up tomorrow.

Right now I'm back at stock suspension (no rods, no GAP lift, no Proud Rhino strut spacers) and I took off my 3/4" wheel spacers as well.  Let's just say you wouldn't want to try this much tire on a stock truck!   

One bummer - it looks like I lost a center cap during the tire mounting.  Maybe I'll give them a call in the morning to see if they still have it laying around in the shop.  Otherwise generic Ebay ones aren't too expensive.  I might even have a spare laying around somewhere.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users