Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

NATT (not another tire thread!)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Today I went for a test drive with all stock suspension stuff.  No lift rods, no GAP lift, no Proud Rhino kit.  Surprisingly it's totally driveable.  I drove about 15 miles and only had minor rubbing at the right front under hard cornering.  That's hardly a full test, but given that it was sitting at totally stock height I expected much more.  

Granted, there is *zero* room for error here.  It's TIGHT.  But it appears the trimming I've already done might be enough.  At least for the moment.

Some info:  The tire and wheel weighs in at 88 lbs per my trusty bathroom scale.  Somewhere I have specs on what the Duratracs weighed -I want to say about 80 lbs but not sure.  

They are stiff riding right now, but given they are brand new that's hardly surprising.  It's not a problem and we'll see if they break in over the next 1000 miles or so.

They seem to be running round and in balance.  Certainly better than the beat up Goodyears that came off.  No noticeable vibrations up to 80 mph.

They definitely have a hum but I don't think it will be a problem.  Again, they are quieter than the ragged Goodyears, though not as quiet as when the Duratracs were new.

So after a minimal street test, they get a thumb's up.  Now I need to sort out my other issues and get them dirty.

• RedRover and yarrover like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
An update on the Coopers.

How do they fit?  Pretty well actually.  I haven't done any further trimming beyond what I had already done.  With stock suspension they will rub the upper inner wheel well liners in front under harder cornering.  With Johnson Rods installed, I could not get them to rub on the street unless I locked it into access height and then I got similar rubbing to running stock height (which you would expect).

Although these tires are theoretically the same width as the Duratracs, they are in fact a tiny bit wider at the should lugs.  This gives just a tiny bit of rubbing on the front upper control arm at johnson rod off-road height with the wheel turned at full lock.  Only one side will rub at a time and it's very minimal.  I have a set of 3/4" spacers I could put back on, but that causes other issues in the front as it increases the swing radius when turning so I'm leaving them off and will live with the minor rub.  It's only enough to touch a shoulder tread block and not the actual shoulder anyway so I don't expect any issues.

I am also running the Proud Rhino bump stop extension kit and would recommend something like this if you were to run a tire this big.  Although it won't matter in day to day use, if you have a failure w/o a kit like this, you will be fully immobile as the tires will be solidly into the wheel wells.

left front rub marks on wheel well
20151128_131550_zpsothump3r.jpg

Right front
20151128_131457_zps3iniptjf.jpg

upper control arm touching sidewall at full lock/full lift
20151128_131432_zpslp7bmsqo.jpg

I should also add that they are louder than an AT tire, even an 'aggressive' AT like the Duratrac, at least new-for-new. My beat to hell Duratracs were louder than these are currently, but since I only have a few street miles on them so far it remains to be seen how they will be as they wear.

They do roll true and smooth, though a bit stiffer at least for now. I expect they will break in with a few hundred miles on them. 

In short, I wouldn't recommend these for a daily driver, but if you wheel your rig hard they might be an option for you. As you can see though, this is clearly pushing the limits for fitment. I also expect there will be a further gas mileage penalty over the Duratracs (which were a penalty over stock) since the wheel/tire combo came in at 88 lbs.

• Jethro likes this

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

So lets resurrect this once more..

just pulled the trigger on 16x8's for the RRC.   tire choice is narrowed down to Toyo MT's (current tire and i like them), BFG KM2 (which seem to be out of stock) and the cooper STT Pro.  size will be 315-75R16..   

So i love my toyo's, but am considering trying something else just to try something different.  i only bring up the BFG because they are so popular.  The Cooper i was interested in before when i got 255-85's but they didn't have it in that size.  

so... decisions..

• Jethro likes this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

So lets resurrect this once more..

just pulled the trigger on 16x8's for the RRC. tire choice is narrowed down to Toyo MT's (current tire and i like them), BFG KM2 (which seem to be out of stock) and the cooper STT Pro. size will be 315-75R16..

So i love my toyo's, but am considering trying something else just to try something different. i only bring up the BFG because they are so popular. The Cooper i was interested in before when i got 255-85's but they didn't have it in that size.

so... decisions..

The current issue of four wheeler magazine has a complete analysis of the STT PRO, that maybe worth a good read.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've only had them out in snow so far so it's too early for me to give much of an assessment of the STT Pros.  I can say (unsurprisingly) that my Duratracs when new were better in snow than these are.  Of course the Duratrac has a reputation as one of the best snow ATs out there and MTs in general are pretty poor in the snow so as I said this is no surprise.

I've heard rumors that there is a new BFG MT (KM3?) in the works but I have no idea if that's true or not.  It does seem to make sense as it's been on the market for a while and with the release of the new KO2 last year people have reported that it's nearly a match for the KM2 in all but straight up mud so you would expect they would push the flagship a little further.  Additionally there have been a number of other MTs come to market that are eating into it's sales so again I would tend to believe the rumor.   That doesn't help you except that maybe it would push me away from the KM2 for fear they may not be around in another year or two so if you needed a replacement you'd be SOL.

Another tire I was looking at was the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3.  The P3 version came out last year and seems to be a good tire from the reading I've done but they were more expensive than the Coopers.

BTW, I think Cooper was doing a buy 3 get 1 free sale recently.  They seem to do it a couple times a year so keep your eye out.

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Yeah I worried about the new bfg for the same reasons. I can't find anything about them except for pics from almost a year ago. Where did you end up getting your cooper's from?

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I got mine from America's Tire since I had won several gift certificates from them at the Annual.  They had to order them as the size I wanted was back-ordered nationally but they should be more readily available now that they've been in production a little longer.

Don

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Bought 5 BFG AT KO2s for the LR3 when I blew out a Michelin AT2 last month. The BFGs are awesome looking and perform well on the road. Haven't taken them offroad, but when we were in Moab, my buddy put a set of the BFGs on (on 20 inch rims on his RRS) and they were impressive in the sand and slick rock. We also took his sport to Squaw in a full snow storm and charged past cars on 80.

Americas Tire is the place to go. They gave me full credit on the blown tire and 60% back on the other 3 Michelins since that tire is discontinued now, and that is after 34k miles on those tires.

I have KM2s on the range rover and they are a much better street tire than I expected. Not too loud and of course they are awesome offroad.

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users