Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Diesel conversion for my 95 RRC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Starting the discovery phase. I want a mechanically controlled engine (no ecm) that will have enough power to not be slower than my 4.2. Keeping the auto trans and lt230. Any suggestions? The rover diesels just seem to slow. Not worried about emissions.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I don't know any details, but Isuzu seems to be common. (?)

Although I haven't heard of anybody doing it, it would seem the VW TDi has a lot of potential in a small package.  But I guess that's too much electronics.

Should I just say it now before somebody else does?  4bt - because who can really have enough NHV?  Or 12v, because you need more 'road hugging weight'.  :)

Edited by DHappel, 20 September 2015 - 12:10 PM.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Buy one of the Australian Army Perentie 110's (upgraded chassis, Isuzu engine, etc). Then you can do all kinds of things. Also join defendersource.com as there are diesel options for sale pretty regularly. Lastly, why aren't you concerned about emissions? Please share??(are you building off road only vehicle?).

Edited by ChristopherSolis, 20 September 2015 - 12:18 PM.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modificationā€¦.for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The secret about emissions is simple.  Not ALL CA counties require annual testing.  If one had a residence in a non-testing county....

• Jethro likes this

Don

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Well, you could swap something stupid powerful into it, like an old Cummins. The main problem with diesels is the weight. If you swap something too much bigger than a 300TDI into it, your rig is going to get pretty front heavy. And the power to weight ratio goes down once you start removing computers. You are almost definitely going to have to swap the transmission for something else, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Diesels do need to be geared differently due to the difference in power band. The LT230 can probably be kept with an adaptor. 

I've decided that If I swap the DII, it's going to be a TD5, and I'm just going to deal with the power loss. It's not like I need to go 75mph on the freeway anyway.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

JeremyP

JeremyP

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Nick, I have some rover diesel conversions under my belt and you can keep the auto box, but only if you don't get power hungry. Take it from me, the 300tdi with the matching tdi spec ZF autobox is a slug off the line, that's why I am going Mercedes turbo diesel. You should seriously look into the 606 Mercedes turbo diesel and swapping the FIP with the 603's mechanical pump. Gobs of super smooth power from those. I'm going with the 617 engine in the 95' lwb and defender for now and just doing a few power mods to match the 4.2 torque. I have a supplier on v8 spec ZF governor and weight sets to get rid of the awkward shift points from installing a diesel as well.

Defender 110
1995 Range Rover LWB Tdi
  • Jethro likes this
Jeremy Pound
91' RRC Hunter Edition
1995 RRC lwb

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Nick, I have some rover diesel conversions under my belt and you can keep the auto box, but only if you don't get power hungry. Take it from me, the 300tdi with the matching tdi spec ZF autobox is a slug off the line, that's why I am going Mercedes turbo diesel. You should seriously look into the 606 Mercedes turbo diesel and swapping the FIP with the 603's mechanical pump. Gobs of super smooth power from those. I'm going with the 617 engine in the 95' lwb and defender for now and just doing a few power mods to match the 4.2 torque. I have a supplier on v8 spec ZF governor and weight sets to get rid of the awkward shift points from installing a diesel as well.
Defender 110
1995 Range Rover LWB Tdi

Interesting. I thought you had to swap the transmission as well. Are the gear ratios the same between the TDIs and V8s? I think the auto box was a different part number between the TD5 and V8 DII.
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

JeremyP

JeremyP

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Interesting. I thought you had to swap the transmission as well. Are the gear ratios the same between the TDIs and V8s? I think the auto box was a different part number between the TD5 and V8 DII.

It's not the gear ratio that is different, it's the shift points that's are completely different and the torque converter stall speeds as well. The tdi spec ZF has a different valve body, torque converter, governor and weight set compared to the v8 ZF. The thing with a d2 4hp24 trans that is ideal, is that it's electronically controlled, so you can buy the compushift trans tuner for it and change the shift point to match whatever engine you want. I don't think a ZF could handle a 4bt cummins thumper at all though.
I had a d1 with a Isuzu 4bd1t turbo diesel in it and it was mated to the factory ZF v8 autobox. The shift point were whacky, so it was easier to shift it manually, but that engine was a cracker. Sort of wish I didn't get rid of it...

Defender 110
1995 Range Rover LWB Tdi
Jeremy Pound
91' RRC Hunter Edition
1995 RRC lwb

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Can I move into that town without emissions..... My motor is begging for retirement.

Mobile texter with some tappingtalkeršŸ“³

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

You can, but the commute is a b!tch!

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I meant "move in"

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Defender 110
1995 Range Rover LWB Tdi

Are those Mercedes engines any harder to transplant? Im not married toa rover motor. I just was simplicity, power, economy, and reliability.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

I meant "move in"

Sure, just get a po box..

Nick

My Rover Pics

JeremyP

JeremyP

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Are those Mercedes engines any harder to transplant? Im not married toa rover motor. I just was simplicity, power, economy, and reliability.

yes, they are more complicated to install due to the front sump oil pan, but I can get notched pans and chassis motor mounts. If you use a later 606, you can put a rear sump cdi pan on and solve some fitment issues there. These engines literally check all the boxes you are looking for. The 617 is, IMO, the most reliable engine you can get your hands on. With a couple grand, you can have a very reliable pumped up 617 with more torque than the v8. If you can get a 606 w/ 603 mechanical IP, you are looking at huge power potential. Not 500hp huge, but 300hp isn't unheard of.
Personally, reliability and simplicity are my two main boxes that need to be checked, so the old proven 617 is my choice for now. But, I'm seriously considering a 606 for the 110 down the road. They are just harder to find and way more expensive.

Defender 110
1995 Range Rover LWB Tdi
Jeremy Pound
91' RRC Hunter Edition
1995 RRC lwb

JeremyP

JeremyP

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
I have 2 300sd mercs right now. You are welcome to come drive one around the block to get a feel for a 617 in stock form.

Defender 110
1995 Range Rover LWB Tdi
Jeremy Pound
91' RRC Hunter Edition
1995 RRC lwb

Volkov

Volkov

NCLR Vice President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Vallejo
  • KK6UUO
  • 2006 LR3
  • 1977 Land Rover 101FC

http://www.mdengineering.co.uk

Motor and Diesel engineering was the company that created the adapter plate for my Perkins diesel to mate with my 101s transmission. It looks like they have really slimmed down their choices, but they still might be able to help you

JeremyP

JeremyP

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
MD is a good place, but unless they stock the plate, they are very expensive. Nick, when you decide on what engine, let's talk. If it's something that I want as well and it needs a custom plate, they get much cheaper after the first one.

Defender 110
1995 Range Rover LWB Tdi
Jeremy Pound
91' RRC Hunter Edition
1995 RRC lwb

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Nick,  Maybe you should make plans to head to the Vermont Overland Rally  next week  ;-)

i-6D9CCcM-XL.png

• Jethro likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users