Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 half shafts

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'm betting nobody has any info on this but thought I'd ask.

I'm beginning to hear a slight click in the front; sounds like a CV may be getting tired.  I also have a small leak on one of the boots, so I figure I'll go ahead and do both front half shafts when I do the other work in the front of the truck.  

Anybody have a preferred brand/source?  AB doesn't list them at all; BPUtah has OEM for $285 and unknown aftermarket for $150; RockAuto has aftermarket stuff from $55 to $85.  So we have a rather wide spread of $55 - $285.  

While I would much prefer reliability/durability over saving a couple bucks, it's hard to see tossing out nearly $600/pair when I could be spending $150.  So, any specific aftermarket brands you'd recommend for or against?

Another thought - does anybody know if the LR4/RRS SC part is a direct fit replacement, and if so, is it notably stronger given the added power of these vehicles?  While CVs are not known to be a weak link on the LR3, more beef is always good when you play hard.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
I purchased ProLine from Rovers North for the Classic. It was $60-something compared to a few hundred for OEM.

I had some frustration getting the hub to seat properly as the flanges on the CV were tooled a bit differently from the old OEM, which was annoying. (To be fair, the part number was updated so the ProLine may have matched the new updated design). But strength wise, it looked at least as strong and beefy as the original so it didn't appear that they cheaped out on the materials.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

I'm betting nobody has any info on this but thought I'd ask.

I'm beginning to hear a slight click in the front; sounds like a CV may be getting tired.  I also have a small leak on one of the boots, so I figure I'll go ahead and do both front half shafts when I do the other work in the front of the truck.  

Anybody have a preferred brand/source?  AB doesn't list them at all; BPUtah has OEM for $285 and unknown aftermarket for $150; RockAuto has aftermarket stuff from $55 to $85.  So we have a rather wide spread of $55 - $285.  

While I would much prefer reliability/durability over saving a couple bucks, it's hard to see tossing out nearly $600/pair when I could be spending $150.  So, any specific aftermarket brands you'd recommend for or against?

Another thought - does anybody know if the LR4/RRS SC part is a direct fit replacement, and if so, is it notably stronger given the added power of these vehicles?  While CVs are not known to be a weak link on the LR3, more beef is always good when you play hard.

Don,

Do you have part numbers?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Part Number
Price
Brand
Note
Fit

TDB500090
$285
Land Rover
left side

TDB500090W
$150
aftermarket
left side

TDB500080
$285
Land Rover
right side

TDB500080W
$150
aftermarket
right side

05~09 LR3
10~ LR4 
05~13 RRS

This is from BPUtah's site.  Not sure if these are OEM numbers (I have my doubts).  I do see they list the same PN for LR3, LR4, and RRS.

Edited by DHappel, 05 October 2015 - 09:16 AM.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Part Number
Price
Brand
Note
Fit

TDB500090
$285
Land Rover
left side

TDB500090W
$150
aftermarket
left side

TDB500080
$285
Land Rover
right side

TDB500080W
$150
aftermarket
right side

05~09 LR3
10~ LR4 
05~13 RRS

This is from BPUtah's site.  Not sure if these are OEM numbers (I have my doubts).  I do see they list the same PN for LR3, LR4, and RRS.

Don,

Those aren't bad prices at all.  I believe the ones quoted as "Land Rover" are actually OEM, as trade price for LR is more than twice that.

I can do:

TDB500090 at $182 plus tax for Bearmach or $236 plus tax for OEM

TDB500080 at $224 plus tax for Bearmach or $293 plus tax for OEM

That would be combining with my next shipment, paid in advance.

They weigh approx. 11kg and 17kg, plus packaging.

Graeme

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

See what Justin uses at Lucky8. Chris mentioned they've been going through some on their trucks.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Volkov

Volkov

NCLR Vice President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Vallejo
  • KK6UUO
  • 2006 LR3
  • 1977 Land Rover 101FC

I haven't replaced half-shafts but I have done the CV boots. If it turns out the bad one is not the one with the leaking boot

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So Graeme, what's the next shipment look like?  I might have need of a left side half shaft.  Will know more this weekend.

Should also probably check on front bearing/hub assemblies.  SKF I believe is the OEM, though I see Timken and Moog stuff available for about half the SKF.

Edited by DHappel, 14 December 2015 - 11:32 PM.

Don

Volkov

Volkov

NCLR Vice President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Vallejo
  • KK6UUO
  • 2006 LR3
  • 1977 Land Rover 101FC
Timken is 'the' name in bearings so if that's half the price then that's what I would take. Are you doing the front or rear?
  • Volkov likes this

Volkov

Volkov

NCLR Vice President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Vallejo
  • KK6UUO
  • 2006 LR3
  • 1977 Land Rover 101FC
I just re read your post, you are doing the front, supposedly they are non serviceable where the rears are serviceable. Have you heard of anyone replacing the bearings in the front hub?

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

I just re read your post, you are doing the front, supposedly they are non serviceable where the rears are serviceable. Have you heard of anyone replacing the bearings in the front hub?

Yes.

Graeme

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

As an update, on Saturday I pulled out the 'new' half shaft and re-installed my original.  I found the inner boot had failed via a small puncture and slung grease all over, though I suspect it might have actually been something coming from the inside out rather than the other way around.  Though I didn't cut the boot open to see the damage, you could feel that the inner was very rough when moving it by hand.  

I did not really expect to find anything going on with the bearing and after putting it back together and test-driving the problems were indeed from the new half shaft.  Though if I had, Timken was the route I would have gone.

My old half shaft is usable, but clearly failing as it clicks under load at full lock and it's getting worse.  Since Michele is out of town this week I wanted to get moving on the repair over the holiday.  Since I started this thread was started I see the prices have changed significantly with 2 of the companies I had called.  When I spoke to them it felt like they hadn't looked at half-shafts in some time and my inquiry prompted them to adjust the pricing.  BPUtah's prices went up a lot.  $655 for Land Rover, $150 for 'aftermarket', and $425 for Hardy Spicer/GKN (OEM).  Plus they're closed for Christmas anyway.  On the other hand, Lucky8 who didn't have anything on their website before now had several options with a 'call for details' note - so I did.  He had 2 Hardy Spicer/GKN driver's sides on hand so I picked one up for about $370 and it should be here Thursday.  

I would have preferred to go through Roverware since Graeme is one of us and cheaper to boot, but in this case I paid more for speed.  

To be fair to Autozone they took the old part back with no hassle.  Apparently it had a lifetime warranty and in a stock truck used on the street it might well have lasted for a long time.  And maybe I just got a bad part.  But I certainly wouldn't recommend them to any club member who will be using a modified truck on the trail.

• RedRover likes this

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Time for another update.

I had ordered an OEM GKN halfshft from Lucky8 before the new year, but it didn't arrive when I expected then I got side-tracked and the weather turned poor so I only got around to messing with it this weekend.  I pulled the front end apart (I'm getting good at this) and yes, the new part appears to be exactly the same as the old one.

20160124_142133_zpsu1nsuuke.jpg

Oddly, it didn't come with the retaining nut.  Normally this would be included as you don't usually re-use them due to the crimp style locking.  Oh well, I'll just re-use the original and call it a day.

But why won't it go on?

Oh...I see.  The halfshafts aren't EXACTLY the same - different thread pitch on the stub!  Grr....had to pull the new part back out and re-install the old one - again!  I'll call Lucky8 in the morning and see what's going on.

20160124_143957_zpsct1k6slc.jpg

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users