Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

AART: Awesome, Another Radio Thread!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I have an Icom IC-2700H 2m/70cm mobile rig coming to my door this week. It's a 50W rig (35W on 70cm) with the separation kit, mounting brackets, mic, etc. I'm excited for the extra wattage and the x-band repeat. 

Questions are: 

-Testing: How do I go about properly testing a used rig to make sure everything works as expected? If there are any defects, I want to know right away so I can resolve quickly. 

-Antenna: My Nagoya is rated to 10W so I need an upgrade. I've been looking at Comet SBB5 and Larsen NMO2/70C. Those are both over 3' long, if I mount one to the roof rack am I just asking to break it, or should it be fine? 

-Any other thoughts or suggestions on mobile rigs that haven't been covered elsewhere?

$_57.JPG

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Congrats!! As for testing, I'd say basic test is plug in some known frequencies for simplex and repeaters in your area and "poll the listeners". Not uncommon and a very helpful hobby so your likely to get good response if done within the proper etiquette ;-) Some repeaters have a signal check (local to me has one) but other hams will tell you how it sounds etc... As for the details of every knob, light and feature, I don't have a good answer there...

As for antenna, I started with what has become the club standard for mobile rigs which i already forgot, ... Diamond, dual band, black NMO mount... solid choice. But when I relocated from spare tire mount (radiating into the rack) to mount off the side of the rack, I was told about the Comet SB1 http://www.universal...mantm/3914.html 16.5" tall rubber dicky type antenna. It has taken a few whacks and I bent and has come out just fine. As for range, It's plenty of range on the trail, I can hit Diablo from Menlo Park, etc... I don't think it has the range of my longer Diamond but for my use, it stays on the truck and the Diamond is IN the truck when range is needed.
one guys opinion.... Tom

NCLR Board Member
Director of Affairs

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Chad,

The Larsen is a great antenna.  Being a loaded 1/2 wave on 2m it will work well on your RRC with an aluminum roof (you don't need a ground plane for it).  It won't get out as well as my 5/8 wave, but then you can't exactly put a mag mount on your roof can you?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Chad I bought an antenna analyzer if you want to come down. If you go uhf mount I have 3 different ones to test with too.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

My plan is to do a solid mount to the roof rack. I need to do more reading up on ground planes and the like, but can you not just wire the antenna up to a ground point?

Tom, I'm thinking of more objective tests, like is it still putting out the proper wattage? And....beyond that, I don't really know what else I should even be testing at this point. I will definitely try some subjective tests like you mentioned though.

Regarding antennas, I know height can make a difference just in getting the signal over any terrain obstacles, which is why I was looking at taller ones. I suppose another option would be to stick with a shorter one for most everything and just lifting an Ed Fong roll-up style deal when parked if needed. 

Thanks Nick, I may take you up on that.

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Every time I go to Radio Shack I'm reminded of exactly why they went bankrupt. Completely useless - they dedicate about 6 sqft out of a 2500 sqft location to components. I think I cobbled together enough to do some testing on the new rig though.

Also, I'm floored by the radio shipping. I paid for the auction on Saturday afternoon, and the radio arrived at my door from Oregon before I got home Monday. Kudos to the seller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users