Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Urgent: Workaround for a Bad Fusebox

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
I was sent the wrong fusebox in the mail, so I won't have my truck fixed before I need to drive to Sedona. I will have another fusebox waiting for me, but there is 357 miles between me and Sedona.

The probem(as we know it):
There are fractures in the joint where the pins are soldered to circuit board in the back of the fuse box behind fuse 24, which powers the engine management computer. The computers will intermittently lose power, causing me to roll to a stop along the side of the road.

The question is:
Is there a way to "jump" the engine management computer to get the vehicle to start by bypassing the fusebox completely. If so, where would I do this, and how would I do it without risking damage to the computers? Could I create a fused wire between the battery and fuse 24, bypassing the damaged solder point, and powering the computers as a viable "side of the road" fix?

Thanks,
Tyler
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Maybe I'm not picturing it correctly, but if you have stress fractures on the original solder points, can you just cut the wires and install an in-line fuse holder and fuse rated the same?

Hopefully one of those amazing subject matter experts will pipe up. Until then, you get the peanut gallery (me!)

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
That's what I'm thinking, but there is a circuit board in the fuse box where the solder has cracked. The way that the circuit board is built, is basically two circuit boards on top of each other that can't be seperated. I'm thinking that if I took a long wire with an in line fuse all the way from the battery, and connected to the fuse box with a fuse tap, it would bypass the break in the circuit board.
Tyler

Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Can you simply solder a jumper wire around the bad joint in the fusebox?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

Sure looks like you can just bypass it. Maybe put a switch so u can turn it off.

Untitled_zpsafyng5d5.png

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Or bridge the output from 24 and 25, then put a slightly larger fuse in number 25 only (20A).  Not pretty, but it would be fine 99% of the time.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
Well, from talking to Graeme, it looks like I have a solution. Still, hopefully nothing goes wrong.
  • RedRover likes this
Tyler

Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Graeme? Who's truck only runs downhill? ;)
  • AdvRovr likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users