Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Another dumb tire thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Looking for some tires in weird size... has anyone used the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 before or heard anything about them?  Looks like they're relatively new, so this is a long shot...

Tire: http://www.nittotire...allreviewspage/

I'd get the BFG KO2 if they had the size I'm looking for (265/50R20), but they don't...

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
Pretty sure I'm rocking that size on the LR4. I definitely have the NTG G2's on there and I am very impressed. Quieter than the stock Pirelli's. Pretty aggressive and fit without lifting (we have the adjustable rods: stock, 2in, then an additional 2in for emergencies). Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444955198.428322.jpg   545.61KB   14 downloads

I'll double check the size when my
Wife gets home with the LR4

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
Yup I've got the 265/50/20's.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Thanks Chris!  The TG2s looks good on the tires, I'm just worried about the lack of sidewall, but I guess there aren't many options on a 20" tire.  Moving up to a 275/55R20 (like I've had before) would open up a lot of options, but then the spare tire wouldn't fit in the spare wheel well.

Have you had experience with them in the rain/snow?  How's the treadwear looking?  I guess we haven't really had rain... at least these look more appropriate for a Rover than the stock Michelins we currently have.

Attached Files

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
Used them for the OR trip. No issues (there was a slight side wall tear front passenger, not sure where it came from but America's tire replaced it for free). Tires were quiet on the road and I didn't air down off road. My wife drive into to White Rock (not hard at all) without issue. Haven't been in the snow but I'm not anticipating any issues.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Update: just got these mounted today and will report back on how they do.  I'm surprised by how shallow the tread depth is (maybe that's just the case for this size).

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Worked great, not much to test it on (some snow banks, etc.) but they look good I guess!

IMG_20160204_084631_1.jpg

• astateofmike, TomOwen and Jethro like this

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
Love those days....

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

When they first came out, I put them on my Suburban (LT size though, which has greater tread depth). I then proceeded to do a cross country trip towing a military generator that was supposed to be pulled behind a deuce and a half over I-80 in a blizzard. Made it without nary an issue. 

So far, in 40k, they've done excellent in everything but rain. As they've worn down, they've gotten a bit squirrely when it rains (which it is doing all the time here), but in a 4 ton vehicle that's towed quite a bit in those 40k, I'm not going to complain.

Been contemplating them for my (new to me) LR3 as well.  

• RedRover likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users