Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3/LR4 Parts Source Suggested/Replacement Parts Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

sounds good. put me in for one of each in the bearmach variety.

Added to order.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Unlikely you'll get stronger ones in the same form factor.  Typically they will get fatter, which you may be able to use by adding packing under the mounts (but I've never tried it, so that is only a guess).

Regards,

Graeme

Actually I'd bet you can get them.  I can get gas struts in many sizes.  I just spec out the compressed x extended length, end fitting type and stud size, and lb-rating.  Not every possible combination is available, but most are.

The hard part is figuring out how strong the stock part is.  Once we know that you can figure out how much stronger you want and I can probably track it down for you.  I haven't looked at my own struts - sometimes they are marked on the body with a weight rating but I wouldn't count on it for an OEM part.

If somebody wanted to experiment it shouldn't be hard to figure out all the specs other than weight rating; we could then take a guess and try a couple different parts. I should be able to return the unused ones at no cost.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

OK, I got curious enough to go out and look at my truck.

Without removing a strut to measure it, it's about 11" compressed x 19" extended.  The only rating I can see is 480N - 480 Newtons?  I'd have to google up how to translate that to lbs.

Looking at a catalog the closest thing I see is 10.2"x17.2", or 12"x20".  A little over on the extended length is fine but I don't know if there's room to go 12" compressed.  They are available in ratings from 20 lbs to 120 lbs.  As an example, a 10.2" x 17.2" 60 lb would be about $20.  It would have an 8mm rod and fit 10mm studs.  

We'd have to do some more checking, but that's getting close.

• RON CT110 likes this

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Google tells me 480 Newtons is 108 lbs of force. 

Checking my catalog, I have 110 and 120 lbs in 12x20.  The stock strut is about 11x19, but again we aren't too worried about not using the full travel.  And it appears when fully closed, there is still about 2.5" of shaft extended out of the stocker, so the 12" compressed length should work.  I'd have to actually pull one off and check the size of the studs used, but 10mm is very common so I bet that's what they are.  Again, you're looking at about $20 per strut.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Will wait for the next shipment; put me in for a pair; what's the eta of the next shipment.

Ron,

Shipment just cleared customs.  The item is now on the website, and if you choose "delivery at an event" there will be no shipping charge.  Then we just have to work out what event ....

Regards,

Graeme

• RON CT110 likes this

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

sounds good. put me in for one of each in the bearmach variety.

Phil,

Shipment just cleared customs.  The item is now on the website, and if you choose "delivery at an event" there will be no shipping charge.  Then we just have to work out what event ....

Regards,

Graeme

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Enrique,

Just added two more to the order I have going in later this week.

For the rear I see part number BHE780060 listed and I can only get those in genuine LR parts at a whopping $60 each.  I expect they are cheaper from other vendors.

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) number LA501-018 that affects older vehicles.  The mount on the body loosens in the nut, the nut breaks loose, then the strut falls off.  The stealer then has to drill a hole to get a new nut into position.  Suggest everyone checks both left and right are tight.  Many may have had the recall, but not all.

Regards,

Graeme

Enrique,

Regards,

Graeme

• DiscoChef likes this

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Ron,

Regards,

Graeme

Ok went to http://www.roverware.us/ and then check-out via Paypal showing the balance to be paid. I clicked continue.  Then took me to RoverWare secure check-out screen.  I don't see "Delivery at an Event" as an option.

I will come back to it later - maybe I am overlooking it.  Thanks! I'll figure it out.

I'll pay for it now and then we can figure out which event.

Thinking the Catahoula Coffee get together/swap meet on Dec 20th.  Are you planning to attend?

Edited by RON CT110, 26 November 2015 - 09:48 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Hi Graeme,

I just realized this morning i need the hood struts for my LR3 as well. Do you have them in stock or need to order then order one for me with your next shipment.

Let me know.

Damn looks like a season of hood struts replacement  :D .

Thanks

Anudeep

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Anudeep,

We have them in stock.  Good job I purchased extras for stock.  They are now on the website (just Google "RoverWare" and we should be the first hit).

Graeme

• yarrover likes this

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

All,

And at the request of another member, we now stock a kit of front differential bearings/seals for LR3/LR4/RRS.  It seems that the idea of just supplying parts for solid axle Rovers went a little sideways, but we want to stock what you guys need!

Regards,

Graeme

• DiscoDavis likes this

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

Phil,

Regards,

Graeme

thanks, graeme. just completed the checkout and chose delivery at an event. not in a rush so we can figure it out.

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

Ok went to http://www.roverware.us/ and then check-out via Paypal showing the balance to be paid. I clicked continue.  Then took me to RoverWare secure check-out screen.  I don't see "Delivery at an Event" as an option.

I will come back to it later - maybe I am overlooking it.  Thanks! I'll figure it out.

Thinking the Catahoula Coffee get together/swap meet on Dec 20th.  Are you planning to attend?

i had troubles adding anything to the cart using safari on OS X. i switched to chrome, chose paypal checkout and was able to proceed normally. i found delivery at an event under the shipping methods.

Edited by Phil., 01 December 2015 - 01:28 PM.

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

Anudeep,

We have them in stock.  Good job I purchased extras for stock.  They are now on the website (just Google "RoverWare" and we should be the first hit).

Graeme

Thanks Graeme. 

If you are driving by east bay and driving by the restaurant please drop them at the restaurant. If not will pick some other event so that i can collect them from you to avoid shipping costs.

Also let me know the payment type, if you want i can give you cash when we meet or you drop it at the restaurant. or paypal.

Thanks

Anudeep

Edited by yarrover, 01 December 2015 - 03:54 PM.

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

All,

And at the request of another member, we now stock a kit of front differential bearings/seals for LR3/LR4/RRS.  It seems that the idea of just supplying parts for solid axle Rovers went a little sideways, but we want to stock what you guys need!

Regards,

Graeme

Wooo thanks Graeme!

This may be the way to go as the D3's and 4's get older. LRNA continues to insist on a full swap of the core at several thousand dollars whereas more and more stories pop up of people confirming it was only one or two bearings gone bad, no need in a few cases to go beyond just splitting the diff open and using a bearing puller on those main bearings (apparently defender wheel bearings... go figure!), slap that thing back together and BAM, more $$$ for goodies.   :lol:

Edited by DiscoDavis, 01 December 2015 - 05:12 PM.

• DHappel likes this

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

i had troubles adding anything to the cart using safari on OS X. i switched to chrome, chose paypal checkout and was able to proceed normally. i found delivery at an event under the shipping methods.

Phil,

Thanks, and double thanks for the feedback.  One of the benefits we get from NCLR is that we get this sort of feedback.  If this happened to a 'random' customer, we may have lost a sale.  I logged a case with our host, and will see what they say.

We won't be at the MORG this month, but will be at the DitD (Peninsula Chapter), and should be at Catahoula on Dec. 20, 2015 too.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 04 December 2015 - 06:36 PM.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Thanks Graeme. 

If you are driving by east bay and driving by the restaurant please drop them at the restaurant. If not will pick some other event so that i can collect them from you to avoid shipping costs.

Also let me know the payment type, if you want i can give you cash when we meet or you drop it at the restaurant. or paypal.

Thanks

Anudeep

Anudeep,

Can't be certain, but might see you next Tuesday lunchtime.

Graeme

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Ron,

Yes, we're planing on Catahoula.  May even have an old friend with us .... Christmas surprise .....

I'd be interested to see what happens when you continue on using that Paypal link.  Using the normal check-out you can also select Paypal, but with the quick link it should work too (I couldn't test that in the non-production environment, since Paypal didn't support it).   Amazing how much you learn when setting up e-Commerce .... things that I'd prefer never to have had to learn ....

Regards,

Graeme

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

And somehow my hood struts just decided to fail today.  Weird...no problems at sunday night and today the hood does't even try to stay open.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Ron,

Yes, we're planing on Catahoula.  May even have an old friend with us .... Christmas surprise .....

I'd be interested to see what happens when you continue on using that Paypal link.  Using the normal check-out you can also select Paypal, but with the quick link it should work too (I couldn't test that in the non-production environment, since Paypal didn't support it).   Amazing how much you learn when setting up e-Commerce .... things that I'd prefer never to have had to learn ....

Regards,

Graeme

Ron,

I checked, and the option comes after PayPal sends you back to the site ...

Graeme

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)