Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

18" AT Tires

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Picked up my LR3 rims from Greg - now I am looking at AT tire options.

Seems like the cooper zeons 285/60/18 are the obvious choice - but I do not see a spec for weight or max inflation pressure on their web site and not sure if I should be worried about wheel arch clearance on the sport ? What are people's expereince with these on road (noise, gas mileage handling, etc. ) ?

The Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60/18 gets good reviews on tirerack from landrover owners - it is XL rated (at that size) and close to my current tires in weight.  Yes that size is smaller than the cooper - but still gives me overall lift (1.3" more diameter) compared to my current SV 255/50/19 (and deeper side wall). Maybe better on-road performance - and much better than the Scorpion Verde in the sand, mud, gravel.

The BFG AT - (265/60/18 XL) K02 gets the #1 rating on tirerack for AT tires. What are downsides of that versus Cooper

Firestone Desstination AT is #2 rated - and a lot cheaper. Should that even be on the list to consider ? Not XL loead rated - but a few landrover owner reviews are positive.

Americas Tire has Cooper Discoverer ATP - which seems specific to them - cross between Zeon and AT3.

Finally any advantages of Toyo Open Country, Nitto TG, General Grabber AT2 over any of the above that I should consider.

I want to preserve as much of my on-road ride/handling/performance/noise as possible (since I spend 90% of my time there) with significant improvement in off road traction - not looking to do serious rock climbing or anything like that - but better sand/mud/gravel performance (not having to get the sand ladders out in Hunder Ranch for example :)

Thoughts ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
I've been happy with the Goodyear Wrangler 265 65/R18.
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Right now on the more aggressive AT side I'd be looking at the new BFG KO2 or the Cooper ST-Maxx.  I've NEVER heard a complaint about the ST-Max.  People love it.  The last version of the BFG AT was the industry standard but it was getting pretty long in the tooth; the new KO2 version seems like a good upgrade.

They might be a little overkill for a mostly street driven rig, but are both pretty street friendly.

The Goodyears Nils is running are Duratracs.  I was running them as well until last week.  They also fall into the aggressive end of the AT market like the 2 above.  They did really well in snow and rain and in most situations for that matter but weren't tough enough for rock crawling (I killed 2 sidewalls in 2 years and totally destroyed the tires in 20K miles of hard use).  They would certainly be up to your needs, but again might be a little overkill for mostly street work. 

The Cooper AT/3 gets great reviews as well in the middle-ground of AT tires.  It would be a bit more street friendly than the above tires but still works well off road.  Erin runs them on her daily-driver LR4 and likes them.  They also won a shoot-out of similar tires a year or so ago on ExPo.  They don't look quite as 'butch' as some, so you'll have to just be comfortable with tires that work instead of tires that look cool.

The Falken Wildpeak would also be worth a look.

The Zeon always struck me as an odd-ball tire.  People run them on LR3/4s sometimes but I usually assumed that was because they were one of the few tires available in the 20" stock wheel size.  I don't see many people using it when they have other options.

I've got bubkis on the Firestone...I don't know much about it at all.

Size wise, are you sure a 285/60 will fit without a spacer?  On my LR3, a 275 has just a whisker of clearance between the sidewall and upper knuckle in the front.  A 285 would certainly rub. 

Weight-wise, a D rated tire would probably be a good fit since you aren't running tons of extra weight.  Many of us are running E rated tires, but without the extra armor and being used mostly on road, the E tire would be overkill and would likely ride stiffer.

The E rated tires would also tend to be a bit heavier with a corresponding hit to gas mileage.  I would expect any of these to do a bit worse than the stock tires in that department, but the more aggressive ones would be the worst.  Again, you might ping Erin for some input on her AT3s.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I have the BFG A/T KO2s and really like them a lot. I replaced my previous generation KOs last year when the KO2s were released in the 265/65R18 size and definitely see a difference both on and off the road. During a recent trip in some decent snow (maybe 1.5 feet in some areas), they did fine and I did not air down. I've never had a problem on any terrain and I find them much better in mud than the previous generation. Just a note though, I am NOT into rock crawling or really technical trails, so if you are into stuff like Don does - go with what he decides, he knows his stuff. 

I picked the BFG KO2s because I wanted an E-rated LT tire and options were very limited in the size I wanted. Still, I really like the look of the tires and their performance. 

• yarrover likes this
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

David brings up a good point - the old BFG AT was good in it's day but had been surpassed by many of the more modern tires.  One of it's weakest points had been snow performance.  The new KO2 version is supposed to be among the best in the snow, right up there with the Duratrac which is also very good in snow.

I would also tend to recommend the 265/65-18 size.  I have't tried them on a Sport, but they fit well with no worries on the LR3/4.  And a bit more sidewall will make for a bit more comfort off-road.

Don

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

a few years back we did a semi-scientific comparison at hollister. variables were vehicle (RRS, LR3, LR3 with rear locker) and tires. at the time, only 285/60R18s were available and i think we compared cooper zeons, nitto terra grapplers (original not the beefed up one), and maybe goodyear silent armor. luis was the one running the show. you might be able to find the thread in the archives.

i've been running 285/60R18 on my RRS ever since i wore out the original 19s so maybe 9 years or so. i started with the nittos (only AT available at the time) and have been running zeons ever since. there are obviously more options now, but your mod plans may influence your decisions.

you can run 285/60R18 without modification and minor rubbing on the wheel arches at full lock. for the RRS, you don't have the rear clearance issues the LR3/LR4 guys have going to a larger tire size and since the RS rock sliders are no longer available, i'm gonna assume that's not a consideration as well. for me, the OEM skid plate i've added is what's preventing me from going any bigger as it barely clears. so if you're not doing either of those, then your choices open up.

most of the feedback i've read for ATs are in the 286/60R18 variety with nittos, coopers and the general grabber AT all getting good nods. the pirelli scorpions seem to do well for those sticking with 19 or 20 and want snow performance. i have the cooper discoverers on my D90. everything's loud in there so i can comment on noise :-) and the annual was the first time i took it off road. 

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Cooper Zeons are fine if you're on 20", but for 18s, there are now a lot of other good options.  I had the Zeon LTZs for over 60k miles and took them on pretty rough trails offroad.  Only 1 puncture (on some pretty tough rocks).  However, I would still feel more comfortable with a sturdier tire...

I have the ST MAXXs and am a huge fan of that tire.  Great everywhere, and pretty quiet.  Downside is that it's heavy.

My wife's G has the new BFG tire, and I really like that... she won't let me take it offroad.

I've had the GY Wrangler Silent Armors and they were fine (and strong), but not good in mud.

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Quick thought, do the RRS have to use spacers to go down to 18" s like the LR4 have to? I'd double check that before driving down for the tire install.

Nick runs the toyo's at that size and loves them.

I was looking at the Cooper stt pro when I was planning the swap.

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
No one seems to like toyo but me :)

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Phil.

Phil.

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • KO6RRS
  • 2006 Range Rover Sport
  • 1995 Defender 90 SW

Quick thought, do the RRS have to use spacers to go down to 18" s like the LR4 have to? I'd double check that before driving down for the tire install.
Nick runs the toyo's at that size and loves them.
I was looking at the Cooper stt pro when I was planning the swap.

No spacers needed for RRS HSE with standard brakes. If you have an RRS SC with bigger Brembo brakes you'll need them though I haven't heard of an RRS SC going that path so can't guarantee what LR4 owners do will work on an RRS.
  • Jethro likes this

2006 Java Black Range Rover Sport HSE | 1995 Alpine White D90 SW #317/500
nclrclub.jpg
jeepsuvlandroverbanner.gif

NCLR014

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Had the Pirelli scorption zeros mentioned in first post. Good tires that actually did OK in mud and snow even on their last legs with regards to tread. Weight rating was a good point. Tire wear was an issue though. I believe they only got around 30,000 miles before I had to replace. 

Now have Toyo AT II in 265 60 18, wish I had the 65 instead sometimes and a higher weight rating/psi rating but they have been great. Quiet and great traction. May consider going up a weight rating because its a 3, and possibly go for a less aggressive tread if I can get something that is more durable for highways. 

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
We had the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on the LR4 in 20in rims and they were OK. Went with the Nitto Tera Grappler G2's and have been very happy. Relatively quiet on the road and have done well off road at full street pressure. We did the Oregon run with them so lots of highway and trail time (although it's wasn't hard core off road there were some sections that required grip and between the computer and the tires I never spilled my coffee).

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

vanessen

vanessen

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I am curious about the BFG AT KO2 265/60 R18 versus the 265/65 R18.  The 265/60 will be closer to stock size and thus may be able to fit in the stock spare tire well, also they won't rub against the frame horns at full lock.  My question is the extra 1" diameter (0.5" height) really worth it with the LR4's cross-linked independent suspension.  I understand how valuable that 0.5" would be for a live axel, but do people really find it worthwhile for the LR4's.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

It all depends on how you use the truck.  The more technical the trails you want to do, the more valuable that extra height will be.

People love to brag about the ground clearance of this platform compared to the solid axle rigs, but let me say categorically that there is a big difference between what's on paper and what's on the trail.   We may not have a diff hanging down to catch on rocks, but we have miserable break-over clearance compared to a mildly lifted Disco/RRC/Defender/etc.  That's a big part of the problem with using these trucks on tougher trails.  That and we'll never have the articulation of a built solid axle rig so we're always 3-wheeling it seems.

On the LR3/4, my go-to recommendation is the 265/65-18.  They generally don't rub anywhere though if they do you can sort it out easily (hard to say specifically what size tire you can get to with no rubbing since each truck seems slightly different and each tire brand/model is slightly different).  The extra sidewall vs a 60 not only gives you a bit more clearance, but gives a bit more protection for the wheel rim and a bit less tendency to pop a bead.  It also means a big more ride comfort off-road, and a bit more traction when aired down as it can flex that little bit more.

The trade-off is on the street, where those little gains in off-road are equally little losses on-road.  A slightly higher center of gravity; a bit less precise steering (not that they were ever great); a tough less mpg.  

None of these + or - is huge or a deal breaker, but they're all things to consider.  

If you're worried about rubbing with the 265/65, do you have a GAP tool?  If so, you can dial in a few extra mm of ride height for clearance, or we can get together one afternoon and have a wrenching day to sort you out.  There's not too much to worry about until you go to 275/65 or bigger usually.

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

As Don mentioned, I went with the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 and am really happy with them, I find they are a good balance between off-road and on-road since it's my daily driver.  They are also a 275/65R18 which requires spacers and some trimming in the LR4, if I had gone with 265, probably wouldn't have had to do the trimming.  The only other tire I would consider in the future would be the BFG KO2, but would probably get these again.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users