Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Blue Sea Systems 12V Socket Not So Great

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
And now I've just returned from a google-fueled venture into the history of the 8-track.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Ah, a cool kid like Tyler will get one of those fancy cassette adaptors to plug into his 8-track player

Whoops. Was thinking of cassettes when I said 8 track. I think I had a player when I was about five... That may have also been a cassette player though. For some reason I only had songs about moose.

Edit: Was definitely a cassette player. It looks like 8 tracks were starting to be phased out about forty years ago. I'm not sure if magnetic tape can even hold data that long.

Edited by lilcrawler, 03 December 2015 - 09:51 PM.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Yes, you would defiantly not have been around for 8-track. I was pretty young when it was big in the mid 70s. I mostly grew up with cassettesand 45s before moving to CDs in the 90s. And apparently that's where I stalled out.

Though you do have to admit a Pink Floyd box set of CDs is just cooler than a bulk download of the same albums. My living room as viewed from my current position on the sofa. Bonus points for spotting both Floyd box sets.
20151203_235110_zpseqmohlsv.jpg

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

so these units don't work either.  more wasted time!  yay...

so after some searching i found this:

http://www.powerwerx...er-12v-24v.html

went ahead and ordered 2 of them. see if they actually work

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport

Ah, a cool kid like Tyler will get one of those fancy cassette adaptors to plug into his 8-track player

I saw this adapter the other day at Best Buy.

I think that it's the strangest yet.

That's right, cassette to Bluetooth.

Attached Files

• DHappel likes this
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I saw this adapter the other day at Best Buy.

I think that it's the strangest yet.

That's right, cassette to Bluetooth.

So....what do you figure the market for that is?  About 3 restoration guys who want to keep their stock radio from the 70s/80s?  Because I'm pretty sure Billy Ray down to the trailer park done upgraded his Camaro to CD a couple years ago.

Don

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
I would have liked to have been at the meeting where the R&D guys pitched this.

How many did they think that they could sell worldwide?
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Actually I've been looking for one of those for my wife's Highlander......

I think there's a sizable market for people who want to keep their stock radios due to the level of integration in modern cars. For instance, her Highlander has an integrated factory navigation, cassette, and CD changer all in dash. I can't replace the nav unit because it also controls all climate, audio, maintenance, and info functions. That means I can't easily replace the stereo, either. I have no aux-in and the CD changer is built into the stereo in the dash, so I can't replace the CD changer with a Bluetooth unit. So if we want phone calls or phone audio, it's got to go through the cassette deck.

So there.

Edit, besides, R&D must've taken about a week. They've had wired cassette deck adapters for over a decade. You take one of those and toss a BT radio in it instead of the auxiliary wire, a small chip, and a condenser mic and call it a day.

Edited by E36 Phantom, 06 December 2015 - 10:15 AM.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport
That's one.
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Chad has admitted to owning a Highlander.  He's already on shaky ground.

We all know there's only one good Highlander.  And he has a sword.

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Chad has admitted to owning a Highlander. He's already on shaky ground.

We all know there's only one good Highlander. And he has a sword.

There can be only one!

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

There can be only one!

And he drives a Citroen, not a Toyota.  At least on TV, I forget what sort of cars were in the movies.

Back on topic, what sort of problems are you having with the USB ports?  I can charge my Galaxy Tab whateveritis 10.x" yada yada off the generic cig lighter USB plug-in charger thing with no problem so long as I use the 2A output instead of the 1A.  I can't believe it's that hard to find a charging socket that will work.  

I think you should come down to my place for the Sac Drip in the Driveway Thursday and we can compare hardware.

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Yeah so the 12v adapters work. I want a native USB socket so I don't have to mess with the adapter. ..integrated lol.. anyways if I plug in the tablet as soon as the screen shuts off the charging stops, mind you only with these particular units. Fwiw my phone charges fine on them. Guess I'm waiting for the new blue sea unit to come out

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Nick

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

This is just ridiculous.  I can buy a $3.99 cheapo plug in charger and it's fine but a $25 'quality' socket from 2 different vendors won't do.  What a mess.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users