Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

multi-photo uploading?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

why do i have to upload 1 photo at a time?  in vbulletin you can do many.  doing 1 at a time is such a PITA

• AdvRovr likes this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
I've wondered that every time I upload pics on here...

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

The forums are more or less a spot to post the pictures, we highly advise using smugmug, creating a album, and linking the pictures with [img] tags.

We could allow multiple file uploads although that would just take us closer and closer the the allotted webspace, and by hyperlinking images it reduces load times big time for us and limits us from hitting our hosting limits.

vBulletin is not coming back so ya gotta let it go... 

I know..

50617846.jpg

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

The forums are more or less a spot to post the pictures, we highly advise using smugmug, creating a album, and linking the pictures with tags.

We could allow multiple file uploads although that would just take us closer and closer the the allotted webspace, and by hyperlinking images it reduces load times big time for us and limits us from hitting our hosting limits.

vBulletin is not coming back so ya gotta let it go...
I know..

[img]http://cdn.meme.am/i...es/50617846.jpg

Could we get an official Smugmug info thread? I was under the impression Tom or another admin has to create an album. If that's not the case it would be great to have more info on expectations and privileges.

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Hey guys, 

Yes, we have smugmug with Unlimited* uploads, java uploader pager (browser) etc.. Not widely used and at this point I'm going in and building galleries and posting links... I have a 
postit" on my todo list to build a bunch of albums (old and new) and will do this evening.  Going forward, if we adopt the use of smugmug more we can look into better protocols for making the uploads easier...

If the gripe is the same ol' vBulletin vs. whateverthisis... I'm not your guy ;-)

In the mean time...

Gallery:  https://norcalrovers...-Snow-Run-2015/

Upload:  https://NorCalRovers...RubiconSnow2015

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Are we able to make albums ourselves or just you/admins?

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
So that still takes way too long. The end result is far to many steps to upload pictures. Bummer. Thats the main reason i dont upload a lot of the stuff i take. Im sure im not the only one.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

Using imgur... or Photobucket does not take that much time -_-

Step 1 - Upload to Imgur

Step 2- Click copy

Step 3- Hit Paste

If I had to recommend any host it'd be IMGur. Extremely easy and fast to use.

http://imgur.com/

Smugmug is just as easy, I'm pretty sure you can just drag and drop the whole folder and it will upload them

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

So that still takes way too long. The end result is far to many steps to upload pictures. Bummer. Thats the main reason i dont upload a lot of the stuff i take. Im sure im not the only one.

Nick,

I just uploaded two test images (Tom: pls delete) and it took three clicks and less than 1.5 seconds ....

1. Click on link provided

2. Click "browse"

3. Click photos to select (or "select all") -- alternatively select and drag your images

4. Upload

Go for coffee while it happens if you have that many photos ...

Not sure how much quicker and easier it can be ....

Regards,

Graeme

• Justin likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
I know graeme, but then you need to link back to them in your posts. If I didn't care about putting them in a post I would simply upload them all to my own Picasa album. As I'm sure some would agree having to upload pictures one place and then link back to them in another to actually have them appear in a post is somewhat cumbersome. The technology to make it less cumbersome has been around for many many years which is why I don't see the point. It's probably more of a frustration for me because I used to own a vBulletin forum where this very feature was open to all members. In today's world of hosting storage is ridiculously cheap so I don't really buy the running out of storage argument as being pertinent any longer. Even if this were a feature that was only available to NCLR members who are current on their membership dues that would be okay with me.

Edited by ndamico, 14 December 2015 - 01:42 PM.

Nick

My Rover Pics

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

I know graeme, but then you need to link back to them in your posts. If I didn't care about putting them in a post I would simply upload them all to my own Picasa album. As I'm sure some would agree having to upload pictures one place and then link back to them in another to actually have them appear in a post is somewhat cumbersome. The technology to make it less cumbersome has been around for many many years which is why I don't see the point. It's probably more of a frustration for me because I used to own a vBulletin forum where this very feature was open to all members. In today's world of hosting storage is ridiculously cheap so I don't really buy the running out of storage argument as being pertinent any longer. Even if this were a feature that was only available to NCLR members who are current on their membership dues that would be okay with me.

We're extremely close to the allotted space, although the MAIN reasoning to having the members post from smugmug or a imagehost is solely that having hyperlinked images from a host that is specific to image hosting is a hell of a lot faster load times all around for the site and forum. As well as smugmug reached out and worked with tom in regards to having our club use them and get access to their software and storage space at no cost, so we should take advantage of that.

This forum software allows multiple media uploads, although we have the simple up loader currently enabled so it limits it to users engaging one attachment at a time and mainly used for PDF, Trip schedules, etc... 

The vBulletin the club was previously running was four years outdated from the actual current vBulletin that was available at the time and had numerous sql and security vulnerability's... and currently the new vBulletin is way too expensive and did not meet our requirements for what we wanted with the new website. 

I get that our requested method can be annoying to some, although for the time being its simply the best route for the website overall imo...

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,415 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

We're one major reference version behind on IP.Board.  In IPS Suite 4 they have drag and drop file uploading.

Anyway, something we can investigate updating to.

• ndamico likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
I've been using Imgur. Smugmug is beyond terrible on iOS...
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users