Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Caliper for a 1998 disco lse

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
Drivers side front. So one of the caliper seals "fell" off when i removed it to do some maintenance. So before I drop 80 bucks at autozone I was going to ask should I buy a new one because I dont know how long the seal was busted? Order a new seal its a few bucks online and wait for the caliper to officially break? Head over to pick and pull and swap out a used one? Or does someone on the forum have a replacement caliper or a seal "laying" around. I am game just wondering what is the best practice regarding the calipers on these vehicles.

Thanks Matt

98 Discovery LSE
Da Bears

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Drivers side front. So one of the caliper seals "fell" off when i removed it to do some maintenance. So before I drop 80 bucks at autozone I was going to ask should I buy a new one because I dont know how long the seal was busted? Order a new seal its a few bucks online and wait for the caliper to officially break? Head over to pick and pull and swap out a used one? Or does someone on the forum have a replacement caliper or a seal "laying" around. I am game just wondering what is the best practice regarding the calipers on these vehicles.

Thanks Matt

98 Discovery LSE
Da Bears

Matt,

If you have corrosion on the piston, then change them.  If the piston is still good a new dust seal will work fine.

We have STC1919 in stock at $20 per set, but that might not be right for your vehicle.  I'll bring some to Mexxis today, just in case you're there and want to check.

I'd steer clear of Autozone calipers.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 20 December 2015 - 09:31 AM.

• DiscoBears likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
I have done all three. Rebuild, replace with old and replace with new. I'm not sure the part that Grame is referring to but I think I got my rebuild kit from AB a few years ago. New pistons and all. It wasn't too bad of a job to do.
  • DiscoBears likes this

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE

Matt,

If you have corrosion on the piston, then change them. If the piston is still good a new dust seal will work fine.

We have STC1919 in stock at $20 per set, but that might not be right for your vehicle. I'll bring some to Mexxis today, just in case you're there and want to check.

Regards,

Graeme

It was making an awful sound which I thought was just low break pads...now I dunno...ok 20 bucks is what p&p charge for a used caliper I am going to recon there first then get back to you...I cannot make it today but I need to get up with you all more just because...been trying to get the rig running again...and that process is not going well...

• Jethro likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Matt,

If you have corrosion on the piston, then change them.  If the piston is still good a new dust seal will work fine.

We have STC1919 in stock at $20 per set, but that might not be right for your vehicle.  I'll bring some to Mexxis today, just in case you're there and want to check.

Regards,

Graeme

What do you have against Autozone parts? I mean, they offer an easy refund when they break only a couple hundred miles after installation.

• AdvRovr likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

What do you have against Autozone parts? I mean, they offer an easy refund when they break only a couple hundred miles after installation.

Don,

Quite. They even sell bondo to patch the body damage and first aid kits for the driver and passengers ..... one (non) stop shop.

Graeme

• RedRover and DHappel like this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Bear, I have a caliper from my LSE parts truck. Brakes are in good shape on it, if you want to save yourself the time at pick n pull.
  • RedRover and Jethro like this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
Just wanted to close this one off..thanks for the feedback made it to pick n pull and found one in great shape...got it done

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

good job

• DiscoBears likes this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users