Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Transmission Stop Leak

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Not really a rover question - but - my daughter's 2003 BMW E46 has a leak from ZF5spd front output seal (between engine and trans). Fluid level is still good. I looked at some of the rover forums - and some people are using White Shepherd / Blue Devil stop leak in their discos with varying results. Has anyone tried using something like this with good results (or otherwise).  I know it wouldn't be a "genuine" rover if it wasn't leaking - but I don't want to stain the driveway more than necessary ! 

Thanks _ Martin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Can't say I've tried it so no feedback one way or the other.

Though I do feel the need to comment that's what you get for having an auto in a bmw! You're being punished failing to choose a clutch!
  • RedRover and ndamico like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

robg

robg

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

You need to speak with Colin as this is his wheel house.

With regards the stop leak style products, once the seal is physically worn replacement is the only route to stop leaking. If memory serves me this ZF box requires positive internal pressure to work correctly - I could be wrong but other ZF boxes do, for example the the 6HP26 and X variants found in Rover's.

A cheap auto store drip pan with some sand in the bottom to stop it blowing away will keep the driveway clean until you fix it of flog it down the road.

• RedRover likes this
LUCAS - Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well , seal blew out on pump and lost all its fluid while car was on freeway. Rather than get rebuilt trans for $3500, or attempt a rebuild myself, I got a used zf at the junk yard - I figure it must have been running before driver rolled it ! Fluid still in it looked in good condition - not dark. Only issue is hole in bell housing where guy who took it out for me damaged it ! Should I just JB weld (see pic - smaller red circle is where damage is) and roll the dice, Install with new seals, filter, fluid ? If I get another 1-2 years light use out of it as spare car I'd be happy. What do you guys think?

Attached Files

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So how much did you have to pay Ham Hands McGee to pull the transmission for you?  And what did he use, a forklift and a rock?

As for trans maintenance, it would obviously be the 'smart' thing to at least change the fluid and filter but I'm not above putting it straight in and running it.  Do you know the mileage on it, and do you know any 'normal' service issue with this unit?  (I'm sure it's a 'sealed for life' unit being a BMW, but is it like the ZF in the LR3/RRS that's really better being serviced at 75K than the 105K LR recommends)

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well Normal transmission removal is to get under the car, drop the exhaust, drop the drive shaft, take out cross member, unbolt trans from engine (top bolts are apparently very hard to reach), disconnect electricals, and drop the thing onto a nice transmission Jack ... $500. At the junk yard, they get out a sledge hammer, bash away at the front of the car to remove front-end ! Attach engine to hoist , and pull out engine and trans as one unit - cutting anything that gets in the way ! $100 ....
Guy told me he had 30 years experince doing this :) ha ha .. Well next time I might take a different approach. If anyone needs an e46 engine I know where one is lying around. Car had about 150k on it according to service sticker in window. Most of the bmw guys change fluid and filter every 60k - even if bmw says sealed for life. The fluid in this one looks clean - so hopefully it was taken care of ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users