Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Who could repair my bent ARB bumper?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3

I picked up Nil's old LR3 ARB winch bumper last fall. Thanks, Nils! :)  

It had prior damage and I've been hoping to get it repaired by someone in the area, but so far have had no joy in finding someone to take it on.  The passenger side of the bumper is bent up and needs to be straightened.  These bumpers are pretty stout and the local auto shops I've spoken with don't think they can cover it.  

Does anybody have a recommendation for someone who can do this kind of metalwork?

Thanks all and Happy New Year,

Ben

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
That's a tough call. I'm not sure who would be up for that job. It can likely be done if the bend isn't bad, but since it's out of the ordinary most high volume shops aren't going to be interested while the typical fab shop probably doesn't have the right equipment.

Depending on how it is bent, could you rig something up yourself? Maybe make some sort of jig to support it then weld on a bracket you can hook a winch to to tweak it back into shape?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Any pictures of the necessary repair?

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3

Thanks, Don and J.  Sorry for the late reply.  Work got crazy and then I was out of town.  I don't think my apartment complex would take too kindly to me doing that level of metal work on my patio.  :)  The biggest issue with the bend is the passenger top corner of the bumper goes up about 6 inches vs. the other side.  At this point I'm willing to give the bumper to another NCLR member if they would like it.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

6" is a lot - I thought it was just some shipping damage but you'd have to hit it pretty hard to get that much bend.  

With it off the vehicle I don't know what you could do, and with it bent that much you probably can't install it.  While the right shop could probably make a jig to do the job I'm not sure who that would be.  

Depending on exactly what is bent it might be possible to cut the bad section off and re-fabricate.  But with the curves and tube work that won't be easy either.

Tough one - sorry!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Ummm.... That's kinda my territory. If you want I might be able to help. PM me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)