Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Let's talk wheels

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've been sniffing around a bit thinking about tires for the RRC.  I have 2 sets of the stock three-spoke 16x7 wheels, but my plan is to run 35" tires...maybe moving to 37s one day if I feel really silly.  

But I don't see much of anything at 35" that will fit the stock wheel.   There's some 15" stuff from 'back in the day', and plenty of 17" stuff from the JK crowd, but 16" isn't getting much love these days.

While I'd hate to buy new wheels when I have 8 perfectly good ones, it seems a 17" wheel would offer the most options.  But I have no idea if that even exists and this is supposed to be a budget minded build.  I'd rather find a tire that will work with the stock wheel.  

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

myroverleaks

myroverleaks

Navigator

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • So Cal
  • 2000 P38
  • 1974 Series 3 NAD

I have 315/75/16's on a 16x7 factory wheel in my profile pic. That's almost a 35" tire and you have many choices in that size.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

No help, but I wonder how hard it would be to find a 17" wheel in the old Rover bolt pattern....yikes.

Actually, hold that thought. I did just see a set of 18's in old Rover bolt pattern with tires. They were either on DSource or Expo, can't recall which. But if you are going all the way up to 35's I don't think you'd lose too much by having an 18" wheel.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I have 315/75/16's on a 16x7 factory wheel in my profile pic. That's almost a 35" tire and you have many choices in that size.

You're running 315s on a 7" wheel?  Yikes!  I figured 8" was a minimum for something that wide.  But it does open up a lot of options.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

No help, but I wonder how hard it would be to find a 17" wheel in the old Rover bolt pattern....yikes.

Actually, hold that thought. I did just see a set of 18's in old Rover bolt pattern with tires. They were either on DSource or Expo, can't recall which. But if you are going all the way up to 35's I don't think you'd lose too much by having an 18" wheel.

The main reason to go to 17" would be for tire options/pricing.  The Jeep boys run 17" stock on the '07 up JK, so there's a huge market for 17" tires.  18s....not so much.

Don

myroverleaks

myroverleaks

Navigator

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • So Cal
  • 2000 P38
  • 1974 Series 3 NAD

I ran most of the life out of 305/70/16 goodyear mtr's on a16x7. They are just as wide as the 315's and I never had a problem. I just never aired them down as much as the skinny tire guys. I didn't need to. Once the time came to change tires. They were unbelievably hard to break the bead off on the stock wheel. I tried 3 different tire machines to break the goodyears. No luck, I gave up and sent them out to the professionals. 

But this is on my p38. It's not a rock crawler. More like my vista cruiser that if I ask it. It better get me there with the A/C on.

Edited by myroverleaks, 11 January 2016 - 08:28 PM.

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

If your staying 35's i would go 15x8 like Colin's rig 17s are good for 37's. 35's on 15inch are about $50 cheaper

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Marsh wheels will make your wheels to order for pretty cheep but you get a pretty cheep product. I have their 15x10 with a 4.5 inch back space and run 35's. I know Tim cooper runs a custom steel wheel he likes. Can't remember the brand right now though.
  • DHappel likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Off to google Marsh....

Don

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

The 15" wheel option used to be the better way to go as far as larger tires go!  this has changed and is getting tougher to procure 35" and the 37"'s have gone! 

The 16"  metric option is way more expensive but availability is abundant.

Try pricing out a 35" 17" tire.

Choose a steel wheel if going serious but stay away from real beadlocks as in my experience tend to leak.

35" is really a happy medium with all of the additional lift goodies and trimming especially when you have the 4.2 to power you!

Recommend lockers & 4.11 R&P or bigger (that's another topic)

Edited by SLOHybrid, 12 January 2016 - 11:56 AM.

• Jethro likes this

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
When you do the gears go for the newer 4.12's.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I haven't begun to figure out my driveline/axle stuff yet.  For that matter I'm not even close to buying wheels/tires; I'm just stuck here on the boat killing time on the forum instead of burning data over on youtube.

• Jethro likes this

Don

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

I haven't begun to figure out my driveline/axle stuff yet.  For that matter I'm not even close to buying wheels/tires; I'm just stuck here on the boat killing time on the forum instead of burning data over on youtube.

you're doing research for both of us!

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

you're doing research for both of us!

Planning more mods for the RRC?  I thought it was pretty much done.  Wait- what am I saying?  A Rover is never 'done'.  :)

• ndamico and Jethro like this

Don

wineryrover

wineryrover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Napa, CA
  • 1972 Series III 88
  • 1994 Defender 90
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2002 Disco II

... I know Tim cooper runs a custom steel wheel he likes. Can't remember the brand right now though.

Lots of Series guys have used Stockton Wheel Service to widen stock series wheels (15" & 16").  They do nice work.

Robb

LR3, D90, DII & SIII

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Robb,  Only problem with that is you have to have some old 15 or 16" wheels that Stockton can re-hoop.

I had them make me a set in the past for my Series they were 15x8" with 4 1/2" back spacing.

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Sorry if this was already posted, but I can't seem to see some of this thread?

I read that someone got 17" wheels from MudTech 4x4 and they are for the LR3 and fit stock without the need to do anything. I think if you have the LR4, you would need to switch out brakes and calipers.

Here is the website:

http://www.mudtech4x...-racer/?lang=en

Edited by DavidW, 13 January 2016 - 10:25 PM.

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Planning more mods for the RRC? I thought it was pretty much done. Wait- what am I saying? A Rover is never 'done'. :)

So yeah i am. It needs castor corrected swivel balls, a front skid plate, fender trimming, spacers on the springs, and a crapload more! You find the sweet deal ona 35" tire and ill be down for it. I dont want them to stick out too far as i like being able to squeeze in between where a lr3 cant fit.
  • DHappel and Jethro like this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So yeah i am. It needs castor corrected swivel balls, a front skid plate, fender trimming, spacers on the springs, and a crapload more! You find the sweet deal ona 35" tire and ill be down for it. I dont want them to stick out too far as i like being able to squeeze in between where a lr3 cant fit.

I'm with you, but don't expect anything soon.  I've got a bunch of expenses this spring/summer so I doubt I'll be doing any big RRC projects for a while.

Don

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

Need any of my old stuff?  I'll probably be taking a few random things off as I move a little bit more back to stock :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users