Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Uh-Oh! A Land Rover Horror Story

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Well, the worst has pretty much happened. As some of you know my truck overheated on the way back to college and I ended up having to fly out. I got the truck towed to Cerrone's European, and had them diagnose. They called me yesterday saying the coolant system was over pressurizing, damaging the cap to the coolant reservoir along with the bleed screw. After checking a few things, Frank called back this afternoon, and said there was a 90% chance it had a liner issue. So, essentially the truck needs an engine. 

I have decided that if I am going to replace the engine in my beloved Discovery, I need to guarantee that I am not going to have the same issue in three months, so I have decided to get a block rebuilt improved with top hat liners and ARP studs, mitigating the liner and head gasket issues that plague the 4.6 motor. Right now Q and E in Anaheim are looking like my first choice to build up the new block. I'm going to call tomorrow and figure out what pricing will be etc.

More updates as events happen

-Tyler

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
I like the idea of a coyote engine or even an LS option... I'll definitely be following along.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  • TomOwen likes this

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

I like the idea of a coyote engine or even an LS option... I'll definitely be following along.

Greg,

Don't even sow that seed in his head .... it has taken him two years to not complete a VW direct-swap engine transplant in a Golf.

Graeme

• Jethro likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There is Graeme's point (although I'm not the only one with stagnating projects, I seem to remember a green one in your driveway... :P) plus the fact that, especially on the DII, it is hard enough to get the factory computers to play nice with each other, never mind an ECM from a Ford or Chevy. Also, if I was going to swap the motor for something else, it would probably be with a V10 TDI out of Touareg, and that opens up a whole new can of worms. It's just more of a project than I am willing to sign up for right now.

Edited by lilcrawler, 20 January 2016 - 06:57 AM.

Tyler

Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

5.7 LS swap.  GM 6-spd trans.  LT230 w/adapter plate.  Hotrod stand-alone wiring harness.  Convert everything else Rover specific to manual.  

You have a NM address.  You could make it work, at least until you moved back to CA.

Seriously though, putting a stock motor back in it (or maybe one that's been breathed on a bit...small cam?  extrude-hone the manifolds?) is a much easier solution especially given you don't have the time/place to do a long term project.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
Where did this impression come from that I wanted more power? I'd be happy with a motor that worked reliably (i.e will not slip a liner). Plus as soon as you start adding this stuff the price adds up. I know Graeme stocks performance cams that will let it pass smog, but he prices them at "more than I want to pay." I feel like you guys are living vicariously through my engine troubles... :)

I called Q and E this morning, and it sounded like they would install top hat liners, rebore the cylinders, and install new cam bearings for $1500 including parts, which is really not a bad deal. However the guy I talked to over the phone sounded like he didn't really handle the Rover stuff, so that may not be accurate. They are going to call me back once the Rover guy is in.

Edited by lilcrawler, 20 January 2016 - 09:58 AM.

Tyler

Posted Image

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Well, they called back. $1500 will get me:

-Top hat liners

-New cam bearings

-Block bored out to the size of the piston

-Block machined flat

This is not a bad deal, especially since that $1500 includes parts. Right now he is out of liners, but once the shipment is in, he said I should plan on two weeks for a rebuild. Right now, I think that Q and E is the best deal, and I'll probably end up having them rebuild the motor. 

Another thing that I should mention is they no longer offer the "exchange." You have to send them an engine first. Now I have to decide how I am going to get them an engine.

• AlysonH likes this
Tyler

Posted Image

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

Tyler my next project is down in LA. If you source a block in the Bay Area, I could probably drive it down there. But that assumes I have a rig I can use to haul it. Will it fit in the back of a Prius? 

As you know, my Rover is down as well at Dan's place. I don't know when it will be alive again.

Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Let me know if I can help, being in L.A. and all...

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Tyler my next project is down in LA. If you source a block in the Bay Area, I could probably drive it down there. But that assumes I have a rig I can use to haul it. Will it fit in the back of a Prius? 

As you know, my Rover is down as well at Dan's place. I don't know when it will be alive again.

Chuck,

V8 in a Prius?  Too late, it has been done already.

https://www.facebook.com/LSXPrius/

I really like the wheels, subtly widened to 8" ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Tyler, if you dont get a block down there before shaver I'm sure one of us SCLR guys that are coming up for the run could get your block down to where it needs to be. Or conversely, if you manage to get a block down there and they have the liners in stock in time to get the block sorted before shaver someone from SCLR could ferry it up to save on shipping. Just a thought..

Chuck, a bare V8 block will fit in the back of the Prius no problem.. Smaller than some suitcases..

• RedRover likes this

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Got Tyler sorted out :rolleyes:

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Thanks everyone! I ended up purchasing a block from Nathan, who is traveling down to the LA area in a couple weeks. He said he could drop it off at Q and E. In order to get it back up to the truck, the plan is to have my Dad drive a Prius down, since he is working in the area, and drive back up to the Bay Area with the new motor. 

Graeme, I'm going to steal your joke there. I've had a couple friends that have been telling me to put a V8 in a Prius for a long time. Your son among them... His wish is finally becoming a reality. :P

Tyler

Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The prius hatch is big enough to handle a fully assembled motor?  Or are you just having them do the short block?

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

The prius hatch is big enough to handle a fully assembled motor?  Or are you just having them do the short block?

Don, IIRC Q&E just do a stripped bare block with liners and cam bearings.

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Nice work. I am sure you will be excited to get the truck back on the road.

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Don, IIRC Q&E just do a stripped bare block with liners and cam bearings.

Makes more sense.  Though I love the functionality of hatches, I couldn't see a Prius swallowing a complete motor.

My old Saab 9-3 now...that might have done it.  I put a washing machine, 6' shelf, and a couple large bags of mulch in it and still closed the hatch one day.

Don

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Makes more sense.  Though I love the functionality of hatches, I couldn't see a Prius swallowing a complete motor.

My old Saab 9-3 now...that might have done it.  I put a washing machine, 6' shelf, and a couple large bags of mulch in it and still closed the hatch one day.

I could see it. I once had:
Two front doors from a Mk2 Golf
DII Radius arms
DII front and rear bumpers

All in my Prius at the same time.
Tyler

Posted Image

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Tyler, will Q&E do a block test on the motor?

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Tyler, will Q&E do a block test on the motor?

He said on most of the blocks he got in, top hat liners fixed the issue because now the liner seals against the head gasket. If he noticed a crack, he would repair it as part of the $1500.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by block test. Do you think you may have an issue?

Edited by lilcrawler, 22 January 2016 - 05:56 AM.

Tyler

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users