Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Uh-Oh! A Land Rover Horror Story

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

JeremyP

JeremyP

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

I like the idea of a coyote engine or even an LS option... I'll definitely be following along.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

coyote x10!! This swap is on my bucket list. Blue and green ovals for life

Defender 110
1995 Range Rover LWB
  • DHappel likes this
Jeremy Pound
91' RRC Hunter Edition
1995 RRC lwb

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

No, I'm ok for now.  For you, you just want to be sure the new motor doesn't have any potential issues before doing all that work. This is how to do the pressure test. You may not be able to see the pin prick size hole like in this video without the water shooting from it.

• Jethro likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Interesting. I hadn't seen that before. I'll ask him about it when I call again to let them know the engine is coming. From talking to him the first time, it sounded like he would look for and repair things like that, but I'm not sure how he would go about looking for those kinds of issues.

On a different note, I'm going to get the rotating assembly balanced, but the new motor didn't come with a flywheel on it. It appears I have two options:

1. Find a flywheel and send it down to Q and E to be balanced

2. Find a shop to balance it up in the Bay Area, and transfer the flywheel off of my current motor.

I think option 1 will be easier than finding a shop to balance it, and having two different shops work on the motor, but right now I could go with either. Does anyone know of a shop to balance the new motor up in NorCal? Also, does anyone have a spare flywheel kicking around that I could get off of them?

Thanks,

Tyler

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

No, I'm ok for now.  For you, you just want to be sure the new motor doesn't have any potential issues before doing all that work. This is how to do the pressure test. You may not be able to see the pin prick size hole like in this video without the water shooting from it.

Brenton,

This proves a block is bad, but not that it is good.  Most hairline cracks only show when the motor is (very) hot.  I have a home-made block off kit (some pieces of 1/4" plate drilled to the stud centers, rubber sheet underneath) and a modified (read: epoxy in all the holes) water pump, but really it isn't worth the time.  Good in theory, but a waste of time in practice.  If the leak is in the bore it doesn't matter because a properly installed top-hat will solve the issue anyway.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 22 January 2016 - 10:09 AM.

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Can't they just mag it to check for cracks?

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Can't they just mag it to check for cracks?

Nick,

Yes, but few places can do that these days.  I don't know of anywhere in the Bay Area that can magnaflux a V8.

Graeme

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

really? i must be out of touch. i thought a block was always mag'd before it was machine for a rebuild. if needed i can see if my engine builder up here can still do it. i know all my v8's were mag'd when built up.

Nick,

Yes, but few places can do that these days.  I don't know of anywhere in the Bay Area that can magnaflux a V8.

Graeme

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

really? i must be out of touch. i thought a block was always mag'd before it was machine for a rebuild. if needed i can see if my engine builder up here can still do it. i know all my v8's were mag'd when built up.

Nick,

Sorry, you missed my humor ... it is an aluminum block ... rather hard to magnaflux ....

Graeme

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Nick,

Sorry, you missed my humor ... it is an aluminum block ... rather hard to magnaflux ....

Graeme

Maybe you should have said Rover V8. Not just a V8 in general. I missed it too.
Tyler

Posted Image

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Maybe you should have said Rover V8. Not just a V8 in general. I missed it too.

Sorry, thought this was a Rover forum ...

Regards,

Graeme

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Just as a suggestion on a shop to handle any extra work I'd recomend Morgan's Speed and Marine in Walnut Creek. I don't know if the old man who used to run the place is still there but they've built just about everything from European exotics to big inch blown American iron. They do standard machine and assembly work, but have the knowledge to handle full custom race builds too.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

Nick,

Graeme

Come to think of it every engine I've had built was a diesel with a iron block...

Nick

My Rover Pics

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
You're looking for a fly wheel not a flex plate? Thought you had an auto trans.

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

You're looking for a fly wheel not a flex plate? Thought you had an auto trans.

I do have the auto trans. My terminology is probably not as specific as it should be, but I keep seeing them called "flywheel with flex plate" or something similar. Like this: http://m.ebay.com/it...3370?nav=SEARCH

$50 isn't bad, but I think I'm going to ask Dan to pull one off the parts truck when he takes out the transmission for dad.
Tyler

Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I do have the auto trans. My terminology is probably not as specific as it should be, but I keep seeing them called "flywheel with flex plate" or something similar. Like this: http://m.ebay.com/it...3370?nav=SEARCH

$50 isn't bad, but I think I'm going to ask Dan to pull one off the parts truck when he takes out the transmission for dad.

With free shipping that's probably a pretty good deal.  

I'm sure that ad was just using both terms to hit all the key words possible. 

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

With free shipping that's probably a pretty good deal.  

I'm sure that ad was just using both terms to hit all the key words possible. 

Yeah, probably where my confusion came from. That and all of the ads I had seen said "flex plate( or flywheel)." However I could get away with it, because the likelihood that I could find a DII flywheel in the US is very slim. I don't think I have ever seen a manual transmission DII.

Edited by lilcrawler, 24 January 2016 - 09:45 AM.

Tyler

Posted Image

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I put a bmw transmission in my sport this weekend ... Probably easier than a v8 in the prius :)

Attached Files

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
Good news! It turns out that my block actually has the flex plate/ flywheel on it, so that solves that issue. Here are some pictures for the curious.

Attached Files

Tyler

Posted Image

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Do all the D2's has aluminum oil pans?

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Do all the D2's has aluminum oil pans?

Yes.

Graeme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users