Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

P1316 96 Discovery Bogging Issues?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

So my 96 has started to give me some strange issues lately and I'm clueless on where to start.

In the past week it's happened pretty intermittently, but what would happen is around 30 mph the engine would start to bog down and the car would not be able to accelerate over 30, anything under it was fine. Drove it home, parked it overnight and the next day had no issue. 

This morning it did the same thing just this time at 10 mph and finally throwing a fault code P1316 which from what I've found online can be many different things. Has anyone else had something similar happen with this fault code?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I can make a guess, but purely a guess as I don't really know anything about these motors.  I'll go with air flow meter or fuel pressure.  

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Just was reading this...may help.

http://www.robisonse....n_fouling1.pdf
  • Justin likes this

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

To add, I did recently replace the MAF because this issue happened a month or so back and it seemed to have fixed it for a while 

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Mine had similar issues. After it warmed up it would run fine less than 2500 rpm and after that it would fall flat on its face, no power, backfire every once in a while and just felt like crap. Let it cool down over night and it would run like a rapped ape until it was all warmed up and then the problem returned. I replaced parts, cleaned, inspected, yadda yadda yadda and nothing worked and I never had a code. Gene McAffertys correctly diagnosed a bad crank position sensor over the phone. It's a crap design in a crap location. Easy repair though and I think he new part was <$50. On a side note, I think the RR is finally fixed
  • Justin, DHappel and Jethro like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

You know, I've always wondered exactly how a raped ape runs.  Does violating an ape somehow increase it's speed?  I'm curious, but not so much that I want to perform any first person testing.

• Justin and TomOwen like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
With enthusiasm.
  • Justin and TomOwen like this

myroverleaks

myroverleaks

Navigator

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • So Cal
  • 2000 P38
  • 1974 Series 3 NAD

So my 96 has started to give me some strange issues lately and I'm clueless on where to start.

In the past week it's happened pretty intermittently, but what would happen is around 30 mph the engine would start to bog down and the car would not be able to accelerate over 30, anything under it was fine. Drove it home, parked it overnight and the next day had no issue. 

This morning it did the same thing just this time at 10 mph and finally throwing a fault code P1316 which from what I've found online can be many different things. Has anyone else had something similar happen with this fault code?

Your vehicle speed sensor at the output of the t-box will cause this. Left side of t-box a couple inches in front of the handbrake drum. Real easy to change with a allen wrench. They fill up with oil and just wear out. It literally makes the engine shutter with no power at different mph's. 

• TomOwen and Jethro like this

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Your vehicle speed sensor at the output of the t-box will cause this. Left side of t-box a couple inches in front of the handbrake drum. Real easy to change with a allen wrench. They fill up with oil and just wear out. It literally makes the engine shutter with no power at different mph's.

Really? That's weird. I have a 95 D1 and that went out but it only failed at the gauge inside the dash. Nothing else went out.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

myroverleaks

myroverleaks

Navigator

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • So Cal
  • 2000 P38
  • 1974 Series 3 NAD

Really? That's weird. I have a 95 D1 and that went out but it only failed at the gauge inside the dash. Nothing else went out.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Your 1995 disco was a 14cux car and used a mechanical speed sensor. A 1996 is a gems disco and uses an electrical speed sensor which the ECM uses as an input.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
14cux? Sounds like a party that needs some chicks involved.

Thanks, that explains a few things.
  • AdvRovr likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users