Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 Arnott struts

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

You may recall that I broke an Arnott strut last summer, then had to wait months before the replacement arrived.  The word was they were out of stock all that time.

I finally uncrated the new strut and I think I know why they were out of stock - the new one is totally different than the old one.  Of particular interest to me, the eye at the bottom that I broke is now much beefier.

20160124_140620_zpsbiwaic15.jpg

20160124_140627_zpsrjrm3cji.jpg

Also note how the top of the strut is now flat - that makes installation much easier since you can now reach the rear-most mounting stud without having to go down through the engine compartment or wrestle your way around the protruding center of the stock or earlier style Arnott.  They also have changed the fitting for the air line.

I've installed the new strut but the truck is still on jacks waiting for me to do some other work so no report on it as yet.  From what I can see so far I like the new design.

• yarrover likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

yarrover

yarrover

NCLR Club Memeber

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • 2006 LR3 HSE

So when is the next rover party "Wrenching Day".

Anudeep (YARRover)
2006 LR3 HSE (Buckingham Blue)
with HD Package, BFG KO2's !!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Well, I just left County planning and talking to a local contractor it looks like we might be breaking ground on the shop in March. I'd guess 2 months to finish, then we can have a shop warming party!
  • yarrover likes this

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Well, I just left County planning and talking to a local contractor it looks like we might be breaking ground on the shop in March. I'd guess 2 months to finish, then we can have a shop warming party!

Don,

I'm not jealous at all ....

If only my yard was flat and didn't need $40K of earth moved ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

It's far from a done deal at this point.  I'm sure the county red tape will rear it's ugly head many times yet.

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
No Bilstein sticker either...... But yeah, the new joint between the eye and shock looks much better.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2007 Mercedes GL320 Diesel // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

"Can you make it work?" - "Made by the English...let's not get our hopes up."

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Quite a few differences when you compare them side by side.  The new one has stickers saying 'engineered and assembled in the USA', and the bag itself is by Continental.  No idea who built the actual shock this time.  I really like the flat top on the new unit as it makes getting to the air fitting (also different on the new one) and the inner of the 3 top mounting bolts much easier.

Don

nengelbrecht6

nengelbrecht6

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Mountain View, CA
  • KM6FDZ
  • 2005 LR3 SE

Don,

Over a year now with the new struts. How do you like them? I will be looking to replace mine sometime soon. Noticed after parking for a weekend that the front end was dropping. Sprayed soapy water on the struts and found the front right to be leaking slightly at the bottom.

Nick

Nick

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yeah, I think I'd buy them again if I were in need.  

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users